PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 10-10-2016, 07:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Wonderful detail work, Erik!

Don
Old 10-10-2016, 02:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 69.70 MB
So far, so good. Good work Erik.

I see so many opportunities to make this loco more detailed... Why the time isn't made of rubber?
Proud member of: Bielska Strefa Modelarska
Old 10-13-2016, 02:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Thank you Ricardo, Don and Marcin. Yep, I wish time was made of rubber or that a day has at least 26 hours. I'm trying to use every spare minute to finalize the "self-imposed" tender details and to have it ready for the upcoming model show at the former Soesterberg Airforce base, where it will be on display. I will post a few pictures at the time.

Erik
Old 10-19-2016, 02:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Tender finished!

Pff, it took almost every spare minute the last one and a half week to finalize the tender in time for putting it on display at the yearly national modelers event in the Military Museum at the former Soesterberg Airforce Base, but the job's done. I'm still working on a piece of railway track to bring it along later during the exhibition.

Worked on the final details, mainly the cokes, hand-railing, touch-ups and final spray of varnish.

For the cokes I used randomly crushed active carbon particles which are normally used as filter core elements in a tropical aquarium. I glued them in layers into the tender. Some black dust is still visible, on purpose. Then I dry-brushed the cokes with light grey paint to highlight them. A bit of a dirty job as the dust leaves black smears if you don't work neatly.

The final coat of varnish spray is in fact the second layer. Before starting the model I had already sprayed each sheet. The second layer gives a faint shiny element to the surface, and this comes closer to the real thing, although not as shiny as in some museum pictures of the Gresley, which I find rather unnatural.

Herewith some pictures of the finalized tender and then onto the rails before starting the main objective of this model: The Engine.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3760.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3761.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3830.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3832.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3825.jpg  

A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3826.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3827.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3828.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3829.jpg  
Old 10-19-2016, 07:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
For those who are within easy reach of Soesterberg: the modelling exhibition in the Military Museum, Soesterberg is very worthwhile. Open till Wednesday October 26. And there are also quite a few of Erik's models on show.
A few impressions:
First picture: Note the model V2 with the real thing in the background. Second and third pictures: small models easily lead to (historical) collections.
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-dsc_0001-2-.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-dsc_0003.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-dsc_0005.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-19-2016, 07:50 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Wonderful job on the Gresley tender Erik! If this is any indication of the quality of the engine, as I'm certain it is, it will be a masterpiece. All the best at the Soesterberg display. Is it a competition as well as a display event? If it is I'm sure you'll do well.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 69.70 MB
Erik - crush this coal harder, I think bricks are to big. Compare it with firedoor.

Greetings from Poland
Proud member of: Bielska Strefa Modelarska
Old 10-20-2016, 09:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.99 GB
very nice model,looking forward to every update.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
The tender looks great

A real credit

Tim
Old 10-26-2016, 03:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.66 MB
I find best thing for coal at this scale is real coal! Remember that sometimes the lumps were so big that the fireman had to break them up to fit them through the fire hole door but this was rare. The usual problem in later years was having too much dust that just got sucked off the shovel and straight up the chimney.
Google Adsense

Tags
a4 pacific, papertrade, sir nigel gresley