PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 10-18-2017, 07:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Again a bit further down the line

Thank you for your words of appreciation Kevin, Don, Ab and Becky and thanks once more for keeping track of this slow build.

Just a few bits to share. I have detailed the cabling on the left valence and the lubricator on the right side of the boiler/valence, which now completes the entire boiler body. I used a thin plastic rod with paper spacers and light grey thread to highlight the flat prints on the left valance. Not really a necessity but it makes things look more interesting I find and worth the effort.

Same for the (Wakefield) lubricator assembly on the right boiler side. In the model it is a flat print without further detailing but pictures clearly show there's a bit more to it and I couldn't resist to add a few bits and pieces to at least create a far cry of the real thing.

So, what's left? In fact only three things:
  • Brake rigging underneath the loc
  • Handrailings and wind breaker screens on the cab
  • Rearranging the rearside of the loc to align stepping plate, side doors and buffers between tender and loc (see the 4th picture)
Hope to get this done soon and to start with the brake rigging first.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6435.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6434.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6437.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6436.jpg  
Old 10-18-2017, 08:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Very beautiful work. I guess I just don't know enough about the locomotive to see the problem in photo #4
Old 10-18-2017, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
These photos really show off this great build

Keep it up

Tim
Old 10-19-2017, 06:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
If I got it well, the doors/buffers should be at the same level?
Old 10-23-2017, 03:39 AM

Brake rigging - Part 1

Thanks Vermin, Tim and Ricardo! Yes indeed, the floor (and consequently the doors) of the cab and tender should be at the same level. The gap between both floors is covered by a plate to allow the crew walking up and down safely and not falling in between. It is obvious that this plate should be level but in the model it isn't and I will try to correct this as much as possible. More about that later!

A bit of progress to share regarding the brake rigging of the locomotive. The rigging is very delicate and part of the laser cut set. Already some time ago I carefully cut out the printed parts and glued them onto the laser cuts. A lot of work and when I found out that it would take a lot of modifications to the flat faced rigging and without clear instructions, I decided to keep it for later. Well, that time has come now.

With help of the very few pictures (in fact one) on the internet and studying the General Arrangement drawing I more or less distilled how the rigging should look like.

The pictures show the build-up, and I used a lot of 1.2mm diameter plastic rods to connect the various parts and to provide some sort of stability. It's not completely finished yet.

Also, the connection between the rigging and (air) brake cylinders still has to be made. This requires a more work and studying and I haven't fully figured it out yet.

Unfortunately, all this work won't be much visible but if you look carefully, you see the brake rigging through the spokes of the driving wheels and connected to the brake shoes, which makes me happy and for me, it's been worth the effort.

Although the model design isn't flawless (neither is my build), the designer certainly created a very detailed and interesting model.

Alright, to be continued!

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_5272.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6449.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6450.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6438.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6439.jpg  

A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6440.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6488.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6489.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6491.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6494.jpg  

A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6496.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6495.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-29-2017, 06:09 AM

Brake rigging - Part 2 and finished

The last posting ended with the installation of the lever mechanism at the brake cylinders. I had cut this section loose from the rigging provided in the model and glued the levers to pieces of plastic rod to create a yoke assembly that would fit right in between the cylinders and rigging.

As you can see in the pictures the entire rigging system is in place now and I used drops of tacky glue to reinforce the rigging and to keep it firmly in place. In fact I tack glued the rigging to the leaf springs and other suspension parts that nearly touch it.
As the glue dries up transparently you will not notice. But the biggest contributor to this invisibility is because the rigging is almost entirely hidden underneath the locomotive.....
Anyway, it was worth the effort and good training to grow my building skills .

For edge coloring of the rigging parts I used a grey marker and Tamiya German grey.

Alright, one less item to go. Next will be equalizing the cab and tender floors and whatever follows from that.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6568.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6569.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6570.jpg  
Old 10-30-2017, 06:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The running gear looks flawless. This has been a truly impressive project from the beginning, and it is look to see the beautiful locomotive nearing completion.

Don
Old 10-30-2017, 12:25 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Been enthralled by your detailed build thread of the Gresley Erik. I'm looking forward to your solution to the height difference between the cab and tender floors. Also to the conclusion of your marvelous build.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:56 AM

Cabin floor and a few other corrections

Thank you Don and Elliot, I'm relieved that this project is nearing completion....

I will not have much time in the coming days to work on the model, unfortunately, so herewith an intermediate update on the cab/tender floor height differences.

There's a height difference of almost 3 millimeters between both floors, with the tender floor being the highest level. In reality there is no difference, and with a narrow coverplate to bridge the gap between both floors the engineer could freely and safely move up and down with his coal shovel.

I can only partly explain the difference, as approximately 1mm was caused by the assembly of the tender rolling chassis and body. At the moment I do not have a picture at hand to illustrate this properly so I will indicate next time where to focus on when gluing the chassis to the body as this will save you this contribution to the total height difference. For me that's something that cannot be corrected anymore.

In order to correct the other 2 mils I first cut away the movable connecting plate at the rearside of the cab, and the doors which were not aligned properly with the ones of the tender (2nd picture; 1st is starting situation). Then I inserted a 2mm thick piece of cardboard of the right shape to increase the height of the cab floor, reinstalled the (new) connecting plate and laminated the floor with a copy print of the part concerned. Then the doors back in position. I also modified and reinstalled the buffer block at the locomotive rear end. You may notice in the pictures that some minor corrections still have to go.

A few remarks:
  • There still remains a slight difference in height which I leave like that as I didn't want to fill up the entire cab floor
  • The connecting plate is too big in my opinion, especially when you carefully examine the GA drawing (which once again proves invaluable). I will try to cut it smaller into the right proportion, which will also minimize the visual effect of a slanted plate
  • The model provides a narrow buffer block at the locomotive rear side but once again after looking at the GA drawing, there seems to be a mismatch with reality. The drawing doesn't show such feature and I am considering to remove it. Why bother you may think? This will namely reduce the distabce between tender and locomotive by which the tender and loc doors will overlap, just like in the real situation. Now, they are just barely touching each other as you can see. If you look at actual pictures you will notice the overlap between the doors
So the final result will be shown next time....

One other thing which I corrected. The lower steps at the rear side of the locomotive have been bent and come off already so many times during handling of the locomotive that I decided to reinforce them. And now they stay in place.

Last thing for today: I detailed the handrailings at the cab with thin plastic rods. There are vertical railings visible on actual pictures (and yes, also in the GA drawing), which have not been printed on the model, so I added them. Herewith a picture of the situation as is and painting has yet to be done.

And, before I forget, I originally intended to have the loc in maintenance mode and put a warning sign in the "cockpit", saying "boiler empty". In the mean time I have changed my mind as the model has become a loc in full operation. So, mind the change in sign: Boiler full! Thanks Diderick for sending the pdf of the page concerned.

Long story, again, so that's it for now.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6580.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6582.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6584.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6585.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6586.jpg  

A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6590.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6589.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_e6587.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_e6593.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6603.jpg  

A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_6591.jpg  
Old 11-08-2017, 08:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
If the boiler is as full as the “cockpit”, the whole thing is ready to move
Google Adsense

Tags
a4 pacific, papertrade, sir nigel gresley