PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 02-14-2017, 03:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
HI All

here is a few photos of the build as it currently stands, my progress has been a bit slow as I have had to rebuild my Laptop due to system just going slow.

What I have found so far is that bends and very tight rolls colours lasers are not friends as the ink lifts off from the paper, but with the main boiler been a large roll this did not happen.

One thing is noticeable between the two prints is that the ink printer been a Canon and set to high detail and comparing it the colour laser is the print quality is way better on the laser but you loss on the bending and rolling aspect of the build. in both cases the same batch of paper was used for printing the art works.

More photos will follow.

R
Old 02-14-2017, 01:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
It's interesting to see the comparison between laser and inkjet - usually the detail on my home inkjet are better, but always the colors on the laser are more rich, especially the blacks.

Speaking of black - is there a deliberate reason you didn't color the edges? I guess not everyone does, but when I made my first model, that was one of the most common suggestions as far as improving the final build quality.

Looking pretty good. Looking forward to the end result.
Current builds: Mirco Firefly Serenity 1:96, Saturn V 1:72
ADD victims: WM Columbia 1:100, AXM Atlas V 1:300, OBP Spruce Goose, Uhu02 X-Wing... and many others
Old 02-14-2017, 03:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 69.70 MB
Try to set thicker paper type during laser printing. Use driver dialog box and set paper as "heavy" or "extra heave". If your system (or driver) do not support this feature, You may iron printed sheets as they was shirts (blank side up – printed side down). This is the way to make toner stronger.
Proud member of: Bielska Strefa Modelarska
Old 02-14-2017, 04:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.37 GB
Thank you for sharing the build of this engine with us all. The build is a very tidy one and I wish that I could exercise the same level of craftsmanship which I see every time I look at this and other postings.
With regard to the debate about the relative strengths and weaknesses of laser and ink jet printers: laser printers form a heat fused plate of ink on paper, a film which may crack when the underlying paper or card is scored or folded. The colours are strong but the film presents a uniform glazed plastic surface. The film does not accept inks or paints easily in order to touch up paper edges or modify surfaces – to suggest weathering etc.
On the other hand, ink-jet printers deliver a coating of coloured dyes which sink into the surface of the paper and card. These inks are not water resistant and may smudge if they come into contact with water based glues or other liquids. Some dyes are susceptible to fading.
There is an alternative which is a pigmented ink such as Epson’s Dura Brite ink. Ink jet printers which use pigmented inks deliver a coating which is less likely to sink into the paper base. The colours can be quite bright especially when printed using a “high” setting. On the other hand, this pigmented ink will not fragment or crack when the paper is folded or scored. They are reputed to be light fast with a life expectancy of about 80 years. They allow the surface of the paper to retain its surface character, whether gloss or matte. The decoration of the models is stable and inks remain in place and do not smudge. The models may be coated with various varnishes or sealed with a thin polystyrene glue such as Revell’s Contacta cement which penetrates the paper and usually dries into an invisible surface. Test on an inconspicuous corner of the model first!
I use pigmented inks daily. Posters and printed leaflets do not need to be laminated to protect them from the weather. Documents may be highlighted with highlighter pens without affecting the printed texts. But, some users have noted that these inks can dry on the printers if the machines are switched off without being closed down properly.
I hope this is of some help …
Old 06-17-2017, 11:34 AM

Hi All

Well Finally there is some news of the train build, I have now completed the build just in time for the one train to be gifted to my Dad.
Here is a some photos.

As a whole the build has been quite interesting in that comparing the build of the two trains there is a few things that have shown in the build.

1: quality of the models, if you want to have a model that shows detail in the art work, then laser is the way to go, BUT the down side is when you bend and fold quality goes out the door.

2: in terms of gluing and bonding, laser does need a bit longer to harden as the glue does not bond straight away.

3: This may be more on a personal side, but with the laser I found that the laser dust that come off the prints did get a bit on the painfully side as you needed to wip the dust from the model print before building as to keep the build clean.

would I build a model with laser again maybe but not a model with lots of small detailed parts, simple quick very low count of folds yes.

Retunga
Google Adsense
Old 06-18-2017, 11:17 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Wow! That's quite the Father's Day gift. Beautiful build, looks fantastic.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:24 AM

Well my dad was quite impressed, even my 4 your old nephew wants one, but thats not going to happen, 4 year old and a paper model bad idea.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
At least not that model.

I made a playset for my girlfriend's grandsons a couple years back with a couple of the Brother rally cars (with their names on the doors). Their mom sent Kathy a couple photos of the boys playing with it again last week. Brandon is six, Austin four. And it's lasted two years. Borderline miracle
Old 07-24-2017, 06:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Great work! I love the shiny look!
Old 07-31-2017, 04:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.66 MB
I have been experimenting with using an inkjet printer with photo paper. So far it seems to be working OK. You get the glossy finish but it still bends OK.
I'm having a go at up-scaling a couple of my Millimodel locos to 1/100 scale and adding more parts to give more detail for the larger scale. The real test has been the GWR 54xx 0-6-0PT as the tanks have a radiused corner that is hard to achieve evenly and the reflections from the gloss surface show even the slightest distortion.

Robin Madge
Google Adsense