PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 05-10-2017, 06:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.64 MB
Cool! Love rail guns
Old 05-10-2017, 10:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
A good day's effort. The rail has gained its gun. As a warning to anyone trying this build, it would be a good idea to add the gun assembly before putting on the ammunition loading assembly. It would be a lot easier that way.

Russian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-6.jpgRussian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-7.jpgRussian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-8.jpg
Old 05-13-2017, 03:42 PM

Railgun complete. Now on to the engine. It looks as if the majority of the detail was spent on the railgun itself....the engine design is considerably simpler, although still a bit more complicated than, say, a bestpapermodels design. That's OK...the gun itself is the focal point, and the rest of the construct are more in the line of diorama props than primary subjects. Speaking of bestpapermodels, if time permits I intend using a couple of their diorama kits to display my contest entry if that is permitted by the rules.

Russian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-9.jpgRussian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-10.jpgRussian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-11.jpgRussian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-12.jpgRussian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-13.jpgRussian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-14.jpg
Old 05-13-2017, 06:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
You've really done a great job on this monster, Darwin.

Don
Old 05-14-2017, 12:54 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Hear, hear!

I am impressed. Marriage must have instilled you with new vigour and skills......!
Old 05-18-2017, 11:27 PM

The locomotive and tender were somewhat simpler in construction, but still have some interesting detail, and with addition of a few bits and pieces would hold their own in most club level competitions. For example, instead of being separate pieces, the wheels are constructed in relief. Parts fit continues to be quite good. Any ski-wampus fits are the fault of my building skills, not the designer.
Russian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-15.jpgRussian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-16.jpgRussian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-17.jpgRussian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-18.jpg
Russian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-19.jpg
Old 05-19-2017, 11:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 125.32 MB
Wow Darwin!! Quite a few neat models on that site.

Bob
Old 05-19-2017, 11:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.47 GB
Nice progress on your build.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 11.18 MB
Nice work on a very small scale
Old 05-28-2017, 09:08 PM

Finally done with the support rolling stock. Two ammunition cars, two flat cars, a command car, and a dormitory car. Yet to go are two automobiles (a staff car and a truck) that are the loads for the flat cars. The dorm car is sophisticated enough a model that I took the extra time to use my 'box in a box' reinforcement. In hindsight, I probably should have taken the extra time to do that to the ammo cars as well. While building the dorm car, the texturing on the steps had enough resolution for me to figure out how the designer intended folding it. Naturally, that was the last car in the build sequence....so, I will have to go back and do a little surgery on the incorrectly folded steps. Thankfully, there are only eight of them in the incorrect configuration.

The build is pretty well on schedule. For the final diorama, I intend having at least two more dorm cars, some passenger cars, and another engine or two. That will have to wait until after the contest deadline. I figure two weeks for work on the diorama base, which leaves a bit over three weeks for additional rail cars. At a minimum, I want to have an armored car to lead off in the train consist, and a couple of flack cars for protection from air attack. Somehow, I need to figure out how to work in a week for travel back to Sacramento for my high school 55th reunion bash. I think I can see myself whining for a deadline extension.

I might mention that during this build I experimented with using an Xacto number 16 blade rather than the trusty number 11. Big improvement for cutting out the fiddly stuff. Try it...you may like it.

Russian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-20.jpgRussian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-21.jpgRussian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-22.jpgRussian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-23.jpgRussian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-24.jpg

Russian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-25.jpgRussian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-26.jpgRussian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-27.jpg