PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 06-02-2017, 02:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Thanks, Charlie. Suspicions confirmed.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
What kind of display base do you plan to use? This is going to be a rather long model
Old 06-02-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
What kind of display base do you plan to use? This is going to be a rather long model
I'm going to make about a three foot by 18 inch base that can be eventually spliced into a model train layout. I am going to use at least three of the bestpapermodels dioramas to create a train depot/marshalling yard setup so that the train can be broken up into sections. As a single train, what I'm planning would be at least five feet long. Given the time deadline, the display is going to be a WIP.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:45 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Rather then a single train have you thought of showing it in a yard, say split into three, to reduce the length?

If memory serves me right Bestpapermodeks did a German diesel. This would also fit in well if you have it.

The diesels would have been used to move the train around at destination, rather then the steam locos - the latter otherwise would have to be kept permanently in steam, as it can take 8-12 hours plus to fire up a steam loco from cold.

Steam would have pulled the train in and the consist would then have been broken and shunted with a diesel (if available). This would also have helped reduce the smoke signature for obvious reasons, especially as the locos are normal unmodified railway stock, and therefore are not fitted with smoke diffusers.

----------------

Incidentally, rail guns were placed often near a tunnel if one was available, and then pushed into the tunnel when not being fired - for both protection and camouflage. I mention this as this means you could consider using a tunnel mouth as one end of the diorama. Perhaps a yard backed by a slope running into the tunnel?

Last edited by Kevin WS; 06-03-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
I call for at least a passing acknowledgement of history.

The Russian railway guns were used as coastal defence guns in the Far East. The usual set up for this sort of operation was to drop the gun off in a pre-prepared location. Unless the railway gun required resetting on the track like a lot of the WW1 railway guns did the loco could go elsewhere. I think the Russian gun had outriggers to stop it toppling which suggests the recoil absorption was pretty good.

I'm not sure the Russian had many, if any, diesel locos in WW2. I know the French used old second line engines for their railway guns in WW1 so I'd guess the Russians did the same.

The hide in the tunnel trick wasn't used in WW1 - aerial attack wasn't a consideration and even if spotted by reconnaissance the railway guns were usually out of range of most artillery. The Germans used the tunnel trick at Anzio because the Allies had effective control of the air and enough aerial fire power to end any railway gun in the open.

Charlie
Google Adsense
Old 06-03-2017, 03:18 PM
Eternal Member

Charlie - you are dead right of course!!!!! Thanks for the corrections....the German diesel and tunnel ideas are off the mark!

My brain is conking - I continually keep (mis)thinking that this is a WW2 German railgun every time I read the post! Why I don't know, so my post above does refer to the wrong nationality and period!

So, Darwin, that scotches my bright diorama ideas!!! If you want to be reasonably accurate!

Last edited by Kevin WS; 06-03-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:03 PM

I think my original idea is still viable. Regardless of the end location, somewhere the train go get it there has to be assembled and sent on its merry way. And the main constraint on the stuff that might be there is that it be primarily associated with a single country. (I'm somewhat flexible on that...exceptions can be attributed to captured equipment. Otherwise, I'm up the creek if I want to include some air defense capability, as I don't know of any free or even low cost Russian anti-aircraft weaponry.)
Old 06-03-2017, 11:20 PM
Eternal Member

The assembly or yard is still fine.

Given the period, as Charlie indicated, maybe anti aircraft weaponary is not a necessity, but I agree that regardless it would look nice in completing the diorama. How about some armoured cars instead? Or a mod of a machine gun/s mounted on a truck - which may be a good compromise!

In terms of 100% historical accuracy, at the end of the day it is your model and "work of art" so I would feel free to exercise some latitude. The average viewer will not have a clue if you are subtle with what you do......

Last edited by Kevin WS; 06-03-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:39 PM

Well, if we can have 'serious' Luft 46 scale models, I can certainly have an alternative history diorama in which Unka Sugar didn't enter the war and the Soviets, scraping the bottom of the barrel, shipped everything that would lob a projectile to the eastern front. My purpose here is to showcase as many models as I can in a plausible manner, not to accurately depict a moment in real time. If this wasn't being done for a 'freebie' contest, I would be including my ABC armored train model in it...and still might after the closing bell.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:00 AM
Eternal Member

See my PM on the last post...................