PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 07-06-2017, 11:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Italian railgun - Free Model Contest #5

I am starting my second entry for the Free Model Contest #5. This time, given there is a three month extension to the contest, I am going entirely out of my comfort zone and am taking on the fantastic railgun model available at Homepage. My first thought was to make rescale it to 1:87 so it would fit with the Russian railgun I made as my first entry into the contest; however, upon looking at the amount of detail the kit contains, I promptly chickened out and decided it would be enough of a challenge to complete as designed in 1:35 scale. To conserve our bandwidth, I am not going to include an image of the kit cover here. Please visit e63papermodel if you are interested in seeing what it will (hopefully) look like.

To keep Charlie content, the 381/40 cannon was ordered by the Italian government in 1913 to be used on the Francesco Caracciolo class of dreadnoughts. The start of WWI caused cancellation of the battlewagons. The guns were repurposed as seven railguns, some coastal defense batteries, and to arm at least one coastal monitor. The railguns saw service in both WWI and WWII.

The kit has about two dozen pages of construction drawings, and about three dozen parts pages. The parts are black and white, untextured drawings on A4 size paper. The designer (whose name eludes me...senior moment, but he is a member of our forum) left enough margin that most of the parts pages should print out on letter size without problem. The only obvious exception is the curved section of railbed. The straight section of railbed can be fitted onto letter size without having to do much more than changing the paper size in Photoshop. I will be printing the parts pages on gray colored cardstock, so maybe I won't have to do much in the way of painting to finish the model....assuming a successful build.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The designer is Enrico Crespi - it's a fantastic model.

Small correction - the railway guns were dismantled after WW1, the barrels were used as coastal defence guns until after WW2.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 07-07-2017, 06:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
This will be interesting!
Enrico's kits are very nice. But I have never attempted one.
I ill follow your build

Old 07-07-2017, 10:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Charlie, do you mean to say that Wikipedia could possibly be wrong? According to it, the monitor was the item that was dismantled, and at least a few of the 7 railguns that were made survived to see service in WWII.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 11.18 MB
Hi all,
The guns, built by Ansaldo, were sold to the "Regia Marina" to realize, as you told, the battleship class "caracciolo.
A scandal arose from this fact, because Ansaldo sold those guns to the "Regio Esercito" mounted on railways.
In the 20s there also has been a parlamentary interrogation to investigate about this double sale.
For all I know just 4 of those railguns have been completed and just one of them has been actually used in a battle.
At the end of the WWI, the railguns gave them to the Navy that put them in a railway storage in La Speziaand they've never been used again, not even in the WWII.
They've been dismantled in the 50s.
I attach a picture of two of those raiguns in the storage in La Spezia before the demolition.

Darwin, I like to see you build the 381/40!
Attached Thumbnails
Italian railgun - Free Model Contest #5-foto-val-ponzano-1-.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-07-2017, 04:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Charlie, do you mean to say that Wikipedia could possibly be wrong? According to it, the monitor was the item that was dismantled, and at least a few of the 7 railguns that were made survived to see service in WWII.
It's more a "dancing in the streets moment" when wikipedia is right. A bit like
supping with the devil - one should use a long spoon with wikipedia.

Charlie
Old 07-24-2017, 06:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
I can see why you didn't want to do a reduction, you'd lose too much detail. That's one amazing model!