PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 02-01-2018, 08:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Thanks guys! Here comes part 2, Main Street and Tomorrowland:

These guys need paint!

Too bad they don't really work!

The hub:

Do you smell something?

FIRE!

During the removal of the Monorail station, the wiring block snagged the thin 20ga wires of the station's lights and shorted out! The result was a few seconds of hair raising and trying to prevent the carpet from catching as the wires got incinerated. I'll have to test the station next year, it's undamaged (as is the carpet, whew!) but it's only 2 14v bulbs which I'll probably replace to stay on the safe side.

More pics to come!
Old 02-02-2018, 04:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Fire and models, two words you don't want together. Forget the carpet, you can always buy another one of them, but the models !!
Old 02-02-2018, 06:18 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Gave me a scare there Becky. If the carpet caught everything could have gone, including you and yours. We can't have that.

Love the detail the new camera is providing. I guess the one drawback is that it also shows the lack of detail in places, some figures are the most noticeable but hey. small potatoes in the scheme of things. Keep posting pics, you've a lot of ground to cover.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:54 PM

Well some of the figures, most notably those in the tea cups, Thunder Mtn. trains and in the Autopia cars are only made of globs of hot glue. So they have no detail to speak of, that's why they look so cartoony.

Last stop: Fantasyland.

And we've arrived at the base of the Matterhorn:

A panoramic look at Disneyland:

And we can do Circlevision too!

That's our walking tour of Disneyland. Don't you wish you could be an inch and a quarter high for just a couple of hours?

One more thing. High def cameras pic up things that are invisible to the naked eye:

Like scale sized cobwebs!
Old 02-03-2018, 04:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Wonderful photos !😸😸😸
Old 02-03-2018, 09:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
Becky,

You never fail to amaze! A truly jaw-dropping layout! Plus, a true life emergency! I am glad to hear that there was no permanent damage to people, home or hobby.

John
Old 02-04-2018, 06:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Thanks for the tour, Becky! Glad that disaster was averted and everyone and everything safe!
George
Old 02-04-2018, 06:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Very good tour. Almost like I was back there again.

That spider web reminded me of something from many decades ago. I worked in a place in southern Florida that had a bunch of one story buildings set on lush semi-tropical grounds. Some were connected by breezeways. The place was very busy during the week but deserted during the weekends. Coming back on one Monday revealed that a very large spider had constructed a very large web across the top of an entrance to one of the breezeways.

People would walk carefully beneath the web when transiting that particular breezeway. The spider stuck around for about a week. I do not know if it left on its own or if someone moved it.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Hi Becky

Just been looking at your pics again.

Disney often give some tantalising "hints" about future projects. Are there going to be such things for "disneyland3"?

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-30-2018, 08:08 PM

Well space is at a premium so as it stands there isn't room for any more large constructions.

But.

A lot of the oldest models already need reconstruction. Case in point is Small World. When I built it in 2012, I gave it very close clearances to minimize the ride's footprint.

Not necessarily a huge problem, but when I upgraded the motive power for the Disneyland Railroad in 2014 the tender for the new version of the locomotive had a slightly wider shell to accommodate electronics in the unit that my previous loco didn't have. So I had to move the clock tower forward and slightly widen the arches to let the train pass. I didn't find that out however until the locomotive had smashed into things and derailed AFTER the whole layout was set up for the season. So that and the rigors of storage have bent a few parts plus there's the sunlight that's been fading the toner for 5+ years. So it's time to rebuild.

But there's another set of issues that developed over the years that I couldn't have anticipated. One noticeable issue is the Skyway. It wasn't bad years ago, but after the Monorail came along the interactions of the three elements became a nightmare. The track comes along behind Small World and must also avoid the Skyway towers:

See how close one of the Monorail pylons is to the rails on the left side? The clearance between the Monorail glideway and the Skyway tower nearest the Matterhorn is just as tight. This year, I got smart. After collisions, derailments and stuck trains at the most inaccessible part of the layout (and piles of rocks) I used steel wire to pull the Skyway back and away from the Glideway:

The wire loops around one of the clips for the window and hauls it back. But, this puts a lot of stress on the Skyway which is made of wood dowels inserted into styrene tubing atop the towers and attached to the roofs of the Matterhorn "Ice Grottoes". Yanking the tower back caused the dowels to stress into an "S" shape! Which isn't exactly a "sustainable position" for multiple seasons of operation.

So. Since I couldn't easily modify Small World without risk it's time to build a new one. And this would give me the opportunity to permanently affix the positions of the Monorail pylons and at least one Skyway tower. And that's my plan for 2017. Which if successful, will lead to something.

Aside from that, Sleeping Beauty Castle needs to be rebuilt, I need three times as many Skyway gondolas, there are holes to fill all over Tomorrowland, the tree-house needs enhancements, there are never enough figures, I want excursion type coaches for the DLRR, and they'll all need little plastic people to sit in them....

Nope. Not done yet!
Google Adsense