PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 07-23-2018, 06:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermate View Post
Hi Becky, I admire your fantastic work very much. May I bother you with a question that you must have given answer to somewhere in your thread(s). It is what is the scale of your Disneyland models and how do they fit in an N scale railroad system? How much should the downscaling be for the N scale?

BTW, I have no idea what the scale of the models obtainable from The Disney Experience site, would you know?

Papermate

First of all, THANKS!

Generally speaking the layout is built for O gauge trains. That's a bit different than O SCALE trains though. The Lionel General I use is WAY WAY out of scale to even the cars it pulls:

But, it's a toy, not a scale model locomotive. So, since the layout is built to compliment the trains that run on it, scale isn't too important. "Close enough" is good enough.

The DE models aren't built to any specific scale either. Main Street Station looks right with the train but is a bit large compared with the Disney figures on the platform. But they too are toys from a number of sources. The foreground figures by the ticket booths are 1:43, which has been the "traditional size" for American O Gauge figures since the 1950's.

Here on the platform of the Monorail station you can see several different sized figures:

The figure in the brown coat by the column and the man in the blue jacket on the ground level are both 1:43 figures. The 2 figures closest to the Monorail are figures sold by MTH Trains for use inside their scale and semi-scale passenger cars. But next to the fig in the brown coat, they're just children in size even though they represent adults. The kids closest to us with the mouse hats are hot glue figures I made using 1:43 figures as a mold.

Over at Sleeping Beauty Castle, I lined up 4 figures:

From left, they're 1:43, 1:50 and 1:87 HO scale people. Compared with this photo:

The 1:50 scale person is closest to reality, but he's still a bit on the tall side. So, best guess places the castle at roughly 1:54, but without exact measurements it's hard to know for sure.

BUT!

Not all Disney Experience models are proportioned equally! The Mark Twain looks best with those "kid sized" MTH figures on it's decks:

So that model may be 1:64. The locos and cars on Big Thunder Mountain have 1:43 figures riding in their seats:

But I reduced the kit to "four pages per sheet" which should equal a 75% reduction, or 1/4th the original size of the model as created. (The Skyway is the same.)

Robert Nava has said that his models aren't any specific scale and that he sizes them based on ease of assembly. But generally you can reduce Sleeping Beauty Castle, Main Street Station and Space Mountain by 75% and you should have a model that would "look reasonably good" with N Scale trains.

Ray Keim's Haunted Mansions are a bit smaller in scale than MS Station or SBC as-is by the way.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Hi Becky! Always look forward to your next post. The PotC building looks MUCH better now and the Town Square fences are amazing. The new signs look great but I, too, wish they were retrofittable (is that a word?) with lights. The upgraded trees look fantastic too! All in all, you've obviously been busy and with great results.

btw, how'd the yard sale a couple of months ago turn out? Were you able to sell the sectional canoe?

You're too kind concerning the fences!

Ah the Garage sales....6 so far this year has yielded about 450 bucks. Too bad we don't have it! Dang bills!
Old 07-23-2018, 07:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great discussion of scale, Becky. I really like your Disney dioramas and your models. I also like the diversity of the little people who populate your dioramas - they replicate the diversity of our Forum.

Don
Old 07-23-2018, 11:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
Thanks, Becky, for your detailed reply, so thorough with examples. Thanks again.

Papermate
Old 08-21-2018, 05:50 PM

SLEEPING BEAUTY CASTLE

Time for an upgrade!

I had hoped to rebuild the castle this year (and for at least 3 prior years) but the moolah never seems to be available for the ink and paper that would be required to build a new model. She looks pretty good for her age though:

But, when a piece of scrap castle material which was taken form a folder that lives in a box in the dark basement and not in the sun as the rest of the model does is placed beside it, the damage caused by the sun becomes more obvious:

Another issue was my "water". I poured polyeurethane (water-based) over an acrylic painted base and well....

The poly migrated, to put it mildly. Into the sand, up the castle walls and just turned my nice white sand beaches an ugly yellow over the years.

And then there was the "bite"...

A slight miscalculation of available real estate vs. generic measurements on my layout diagram resulted in a "field adjustment". It didn't go away, but it looks a bit more "planned" than it wasn't.

So....here's the enhanced version:

New trees, new clean beaches and a nicer bridge.

It should fit in better with my current scenery scheme.
Google Adsense
Old 08-22-2018, 03:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
That's a great centrepiece.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 69.70 MB
Water looks excellent!
Proud member of: Bielska Strefa Modelarska
Old 10-13-2018, 06:06 PM

Back to what I started out to do, I finally finished project #1: fix the Small World vs. DLRR vs. Monorail vs. Skyway problem.

Due to it being just a few degrees below double heck this summer, moving furniture (let alone any more than I really had to) just wasn't possible. I had to wait for cooler days to get the measurements I needed. That operation looked like this:

The original center "island" was just a posterboard oval stuffed with lights and newspaper. Last year those lights got damaged and that meant removing the whole garden to replace the string.

The new version is made like an "I-beam" of illustration board with holes drilled in the top section for the bulbs to poke through:

I also replaced the fencing in the cue area, made better water (hot glue over blue paint) and made a little "hedge" to block direct view of the bulbs and allow only the colored light to be seen.

And around back, the transportation department's issues are hopefully fixed.

So, that's what's new at paper Disneyland. It'll be set up after I get the other two layouts finished.

Last edited by beckychestney; 10-13-2018 at 06:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-14-2018, 05:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Looks like a good solution and a nice set up.
Now I have that d**n song stuck in my brain.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
Looks like a good solution and a nice set up.
Now I have that d**n song stuck in my brain.

I have the full ride loop in Mp3 if you really want a headache.
Google Adsense