PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 07-17-2017, 12:58 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Agree with the others. Skull Rock Cove is a smashing success! I don't know what it is but, as Doug said, it really makes me feel as though I really am there. Must be that you sprinkled a little fairy dust on it hmm?
Old 07-17-2017, 04:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Becky:
First question what did you use for the water in skull cove? I liked it. This is a minor request from an old time civil war cannoneer will you paint the inside of the cannon barrels black or a dark rust knowing Disney the cannons were never fired so a very dark rust would do, I don't think they bought bronze cannons then the inside would be dark green. Just call me an elderly nit picker. All in all I love what you have done, you seem to have a real feel for how to fit the stuff into a smaller space than the real thing.
Am enjoying the trip back to Disney World. took my daughter when she was 7. now 16 she would like to work there summer in college
Miles
Old 07-17-2017, 06:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
Skull Rock Cove is a super looking vignette. Will you be adding figures to it later ?
Definitely. But most of my little peoples are summering in Thailand

Old 07-17-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Agree with the others. Skull Rock Cove is a smashing success! I don't know what it is but, as Doug said, it really makes me feel as though I really am there. Must be that you sprinkled a little fairy dust on it hmm?
Thanks! It's one of those very strange quirks of fate that seem to surround me at times. I'm not a good photographer. I use the auto setting. But who would have thought a pair of 40+ year old blue curtains from Monkey Ward could have such an effect on a digital photo? Compare the "daylight" photo with the "night" version. Thos goofy blue curtains created a striking effect!
Old 07-17-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Linnabery View Post
Dear Becky:
First question what did you use for the water in skull cove?
I painted the base with a mix of blue and green acrylics and then I poured on hot glue. Actually, this was an experiment that went a bit wrong. I've been using hot glue for water for awhile now but I've never done it over such a wide area. Here's the 20K lagoon at the base of the Matterhorn:

All I did here was run the glue gun back and forth as fast as I could, which often meant I was pushing the glue (with both hands) through the gun faster than it wanted to go. The problem with doing this is that eventually the glue in the chamber won't come out anymore because it's just too cool. So you have to stop and wait until it heats up again. This leaves visible lines and you can fairly easily see two of them coming away from the front of the Monorail pylon parallel to the dock structure.

To counter that issue, I decided to try an actual pour of a very large amount of glue at one time. I melted about a dozen mini glue sticks in an old vegetable can on the stove. When it was ready, I picked it up from the stove with a pair of vice grips and hightailed it back to the work table. The pour went OK, but it "heaped" up and threatened to flow right over the dock which should have ended up about 1/8 inch out of the water. If you look at this pic here:

You can see that the water level rises up closer to the ship than at the far right end of the dock. This is "the heap" of glue that occurred during the pour as I tried desperately with a hair dryer to push the glue away from the dock. This also created ripples, which is great but I couldn't get the glue to flow away from where it piled up. I've been looking into buying a heat gun but I'm not sure it would be worth it. I may end up making things worse.

By the way it's the stern of the ship that will face the viewer when the display is set up. It will be living alongside the tree stand which is in the upper left of this photo:

Google Adsense
Old 07-21-2017, 06:28 PM

Bind Your Own Book!

Got digital photos of your models? How about old prints or slides? Have a way of scanning or otherwise converting them to a digital format? Then let me show you the future of scrapbooking.

There's no need anymore to print individual photos and spend hours pasting them into a scrapbook or photo album. Today's photo sharing sites can print them into a book for you!

Sound like an advertisement? Sorry. Got carried away!

A couple of days work was all it took to organize, write and order my very own layout scrapbook.

A 30 page 8" by 11" hardbound book with dust jacket cost me $49.15 delivered. It would have been about $72, but I had a 40% off coupon for creating a new Shutterfly account. There were a lot of options for page layouts, including having the Shutterfly people do it for me. I chose to do it myself. I also chose to have plain white pages, but there were many backgrounds I could have used. There were also options for glossy paper, matte covers, etc. but the only extra I added was $5 for the dust jacket (gives it more class ).

This was a fun project! And a great way to catalog and present some of the better photos of the layout I've taken over the years.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:37 PM
Eternal Member

Great! Where can I get my copy?

Just kidding. Cool idea though and a great way to document your layout.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Very nice. And it will be a fantastic keepsake
Old 07-22-2017, 02:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Sorry Elliot, I keep echoing you, you should make an order up of this book and sell it on, this would open up your Disneyland to a larger audience and future fans. All you need it a box-out mentioning your thread on this forum for updates.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:29 PM
Eternal Member

Echo away, my friend, echo away.
Google Adsense