PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 09-21-2017, 05:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
East Main is finally ready!

I only had time to "design" (and I use that term loosely) 2 or 3 buildings that would more or less look like the real thing. For the East side of the street I chose the Main Street Opera House which is at the station end of the street (on the right in top pic). On the West side of the street I'll be focusing most of my energy on the Fire House and the new Fantasyland building fronts behind West Main.

Behind East Main is Tomorrowland:

Which while it was easier to build, because I wasn't designing anything new, I knew I wanted to really light it up!

Believe it or not, there are 22, 14 volt lamps just on this side of the module! Fun fact: that taller building houses "If You Had Wings" which was always one of my favorite rides. The vertical latticework pieces are supposed to represent wings, the big octagonal lights in the middle of them represent jet engines and if you look at the roof line angling back towards Main Street it's supposed to look like a big jet tail! My little tribute to a ride that's long gone and to Eastern Airlines the ride's sponsor.

Here's a little nook that will never get seen.

I made the "wrought iron" tables and chairs from paper doilies, bits of floral wire, toothpicks and paper umbrellas I whipped off with Metasequoia.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Stunning! I am just amazed at what you have accomplished
Old 09-22-2017, 06:25 PM

Thanks!

Here are 2 more I took once it got completely dark:

Old 09-23-2017, 02:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Great work, as ever.😸😸😸 (and wonderful pics)
Old 09-23-2017, 01:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
W.O.W.! You could be building sets for movies (or are they all CGI now?). Beautiful work.
Google Adsense
Old 09-23-2017, 03:18 PM

I was going back through this, and didn't see. This is all HO scale roughly, right?

Those Illinois Main Street models look like they would fit into Marceline, MO
Old 09-23-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
I was going back through this, and didn't see. This is all HO scale roughly, right?

Those Illinois Main Street models look like they would fit into Marceline, MO
The Main Street buildings definitely are out of scale. The street sweeper in white on the left in this pic from last year is the "traditional" size for O scale (1:43) figures that started with Marx and Bachmann Plasticville citizens of the 1950's.

While the "choir" around the flag pole is made up of the much smaller figures marketed by MTH for adding patrons to their line of passenger cars. I've never heard an exact number, but I think they're around 1:76 or S scale where O "scale" in the U.S. is usually defined as 1:48. Looking further up the street from the White Wing you can see a man in blue who looks like he could be holding up the theater marquee with his hat!

This little girl next to Sleeping Beauty is a 1:43 child while the "costumed characters" in the background look like giant toys compared with them.

Those characters came with the Monorail. Sleeping Beauty was a "capsule figure" sold in vending machines in Japan and could pass for an adult in scale to the castle that bears her moniker. Compare all of them with the Polly Pocket figures standing on the station platform.

Way out of scale to the station doors, but that's the way it goes in Lionel land!
Old 09-23-2017, 07:09 PM

Ah, multi-media, multi-scale, wonderfully executed. Sometimes forced perspective doesn't work out for different scales. Would you really have room to have everything Lionel Scale?

BTW-- I've been to Disneyland three times, and never to Orlando. Don't tell anyone, but Orlando was a fall-back plan (not so much of a fall-back, but its schedule was moved up). Disney's second park was to be Main Street USA on the Mississippi River banks just south of the location of the Arch in St. Louis. I look favorably on Uncle Auggie Busch most of the time, but Uncle Auggie totally soured the chances of the project being built. So Disney started buying property in Florida.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Ah, multi-media, multi-scale, wonderfully executed. Sometimes forced perspective doesn't work out for different scales. Would you really have room to have everything Lionel Scale?
Not a chance!
Old 09-24-2017, 06:24 PM

For the 50th anniversary of Disneyland, imagineers built a Z scale model of the park on opening day.

The original architectural model of Sleeping Beauty Castle is about the same size as the Disney Experience model but the DE version omits the "wing walls" for Fantasyland.

Google Adsense