PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 04-09-2017, 04:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Russian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5

I've broken through my building block (I hope) with enough time left to participate in the latest free model contest. My entry is Sergey Kamotsky's soviet rail gun train http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/r...3134_201381877 . The link has a good cover for the kit, so I won't clutter up our server with another copy of it.

Upon downloading and unpacking the kit and loading the pages into photoshop, I encountered some really wierd page size and resolution numbers, so the first task was resizing all the images. I resized the images by entering 300 dpi for resolution and 11.69 inches for page height. After printing, the little size-check ruler Sergey included on each page exactly matched up with my ruler, so scale of the model as built is 1:87. Because of the complexity of the model and time constraints, I will be building it pretty much "out of the box." In addition to the railgun and train engine/tender, there are six additional rail cars and two vehicles, which will be enough challenge to get finished by contest end.

As my personal preference is the appearance of butt joins vs lap joins, I am cutting off all tabs. Where possible, I am laminating the parts for major components onto 2 mm thick matt board, and using the additional thickness for gluing surface; otherwise, I am adding my own joining strips. Also, I am constructing the wheels using the technique that Cut-n-Paste posted in the vehicles downloads section. Given that there are 32 wheels for the railgun alone, anything that makes the task easier is appreciated.

So far, I have gotten the first of the two gun support platforms assembled. No pictures yet...I'm still struggling trying to tame my new Nikon camera. My trusty old Canons (all three of them) have quit on me. All three cameras have the same problem....the display is just a blank screen when in view-finder mode, and even the optical view finder is blank. The display screens work fine in menu mode, and show the stored images just fine in photo album mode...but all three cameras are glorified paperweights when it comes to taking any new photos. Anyone else had this problem with Canon cameras? Even though I have a replacement, I still am not wanting to abandon them.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
What - no history?

The 305mm (12inch) L/40 Pattern 1895 gun was the product of a design collaboration between Canet (French) and Obukhov. It was originally mounted on Russian battleships. As these were decommissioned the guns were removed and placed in storage. Six of these guns were mounted on railway mountings and used as mobile coastal defence on the Russian Pacific coast during WW2. The gun weighed about 42 tons and had a max. range of about 32km.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 04-09-2017, 05:59 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Darwin,

Thanks for the printing hints, I guess that is where i ran afoul with the behemoth tank model.

Now that I know, I will reattempt
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 04-09-2017, 06:15 PM

Charlie, thanks for the history. I thought it looked as if it belonged on a Dreadnaught. It looks as if reality may conflict a bit with the scene I intend fitting it into, but what the hay....I'm a total Ross advocate....it's my world, don't bother me with a bunch of pesky facts.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A formidable project!

Best of luck. KI look forward to tracking the build.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 04-09-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
A formidable project!

Best of luck. KI look forward to tracking the build.

Don

So do I, Don. Here's hoping that there is still a link to the freebie track sections that BestPaperModels had. (Sorry....I just couldn't resist.)
Old 04-09-2017, 10:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Darwin, which Nikon do you have? I had to switch over to a 3300 after my old faithful D80 gave up the ghost. Its almost like starting from ground zero learning how to set it up and use it. Plus Windows 10 hates Nikon cameras and its been a total pain to get downloads to my computer.

Anyway hope you get it working so we can follow along. Sounds like an interesting project.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:38 PM

Whulsey, I also have a 3300. As you say, it's starting from ground zero on the learning curve. I guess my Canon spoiled me. Imagine, having to look through a viewfinder again to frame the picture...what next, manually focus it? How dark ages.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:41 PM

Step one....take off the lens cap....

After much gnashing of teeth and utterances of nasty words, I managed one reasonably clear photo of the progress to date.

Russian railgun train - Free Model Contest #5-dsc_0004.jpg
Old 04-10-2017, 09:39 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Looks like good progress Darwin (on the model and the camera).
Google Adsense