PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 08-16-2017, 11:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hut No. 1

Well, we all have to start somewhere.
Whilst planning for my embryo 4mm:ft layout, I considered the construction of the station building in card, but wondered about the most appropriate way of painting it. This sounds like a case of putting the proverbial cart before the horse but, I reasoned, if I spend goodness knows how long constructing a masterpiece (!) and then ruin by not painting it properly or well, I shall have wasted much time and effort and be demoralised to boot.
I can think of three different ways of painting such a a model: 1. Using enamels 2. Using acrylics 3. using watercolours and there are probably others, too.
I decided as an experiment to use acrylics since no solvents are required, they dry very quickly allowing overpainting where necessary very soon after a coat has been applied, they are accessible (in my case they're sold by local hardware-cum-model shop) are relatively inexpensive, can be applied by brush or airbrush (or both) and tend not to attract dust. They are, of course, water based, which could be a disadvantage when modelling in card.
That little lot thought through, I quickly drew up a small hut, transferred this to cereal packet cardboard (with windows in Bristol board) cut it out, glued it together, sealed the inner and outer surfaces with acrylic medium (matte) then sprayed with white car undercoat (also acrylic, as it turned out) and left to dry thoroughly overnight.
The following day I brush painted using a stone colour for the hut 'body' a green (viridian, I think), both being BR(E) colours, and a slate paper ('Scalescenes') for the roof. So, here it is, the painting method works. What doesn't work particularly well is the design of the hut, but I can live with it.
Cliff
Attached Thumbnails
Hut No. 1-hut-no.-1-exp.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-16-2017, 11:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
It does not look bad for such a small hut. You did a good job on the painting.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:03 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Not bad at all. Did I understand you correctly that this is your first card model or is it the first model for your model RR?
Old 08-16-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
It does not look bad for such a small hut. You did a good job on the painting.
Thanks, I think it does prove that method. I might try airbrushing the next one
Old 08-16-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Not bad at all. Did I understand you correctly that this is your first card model or is it the first model for your model RR?
It's my first completed scratchbuilt card model. I have previously made a 'Metcalfe' model and - more years ago than I care to remember - the odd 'Superquick' model, both of which as you may know, are card kits that have fully or partially cut out windows and doors and use layered construction. These are, of course, good foundations and helpful to a budding scratchbuilder, but, good though they are, their heritages are instantly recognisable.
I'm now in the process of starting to scratchbuild a station building and will paint it as described above - although I may rescue my airbrush from whichever safe place I put it and try that method...hmm, that might mean another quick build hut to test it out.
Cliff
Google Adsense
Old 08-16-2017, 04:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
An excellent and useful little building.

Wyvern
Old 08-16-2017, 07:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
Looks great. I'd be proud to have a full size one in my back yard!
Old 08-17-2017, 10:22 AM

Thanks for you kind comments, Wyvern and BARX2...I'm onto my next...
Old 08-18-2017, 03:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 32.35 MB
Looking forward to it. I build locomotives out of card (small ones) in 1/2 inch scale. That station that you build seems excellent and quite realistic for a small "halt" on any narrow gauge railroad.
otherDoc
Old 08-18-2017, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Experiment worked. Using matte medium first for a sealer is something I would not have thought to do.
Google Adsense

Tags
quired