PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > > >

Old Yesterday, 06:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 39.07 MB
I have made some further progress, boilers are complete and wheels attached:

I will say, for anyone attempting the build, I found the boiler internal supports and spacers a tad confusing. They are numbered 1 through 14 and are glued to thicker card before using. I assumed these were intended to be placed in that same order. They are not however.

1-6 are internal to the main boiler sections (there are two, that get joined).

#7 and #10 are internal (and on edge) to the foremost boiler section (the slightly larger one). #8, 9 are stacked on #7 and used to join the two differently sized boiler sections, with the textured side facing the rear.

Numbers 11-14 are stacked at the end of the larger boiler section.

Marcin, I'll snap a shot against my 30cm ruler for you. The only dimension I know for certain is the inside wheel base, which is 1 1/4" or 31.75 mm. The actual wheel centers are closer to 33-34 mm. It will never sit on real track, so whatever I make to suit it will fit the slight gauge offset.
Old Today, 04:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 39.07 MB
Marcin,
It is hard to see (reflective rulers and poor lighting are bad combinations), but the model is ~22 cm long currently. Bumpers and connectors will add a bit to that.

I've added a fair bit of detailing parts. I am avoiding the drive shaft parts as I quite honestly have no bloody idea where most of them go. I just got a plastic miniature model kit in I ordered a few weeks ago, so this might get set aside while I build that.

If I have a complaint (and there are few, this is an expertly designed model), the steam/smoke stack is really insecure. Design has it placed in a carved hole in the top of the large boiler section, and that only gives it the circumference of the hole as support. As such, it is a bit wobbly. I might give it a bead of glue around the edge to attempt to strengthen it.