PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 08-16-2018, 06:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
I have made some further progress, boilers are complete and wheels attached:

I will say, for anyone attempting the build, I found the boiler internal supports and spacers a tad confusing. They are numbered 1 through 14 and are glued to thicker card before using. I assumed these were intended to be placed in that same order. They are not however.

1-6 are internal to the main boiler sections (there are two, that get joined).

#7 and #10 are internal (and on edge) to the foremost boiler section (the slightly larger one). #8, 9 are stacked on #7 and used to join the two differently sized boiler sections, with the textured side facing the rear.

Numbers 11-14 are stacked at the end of the larger boiler section.

Marcin, I'll snap a shot against my 30cm ruler for you. The only dimension I know for certain is the inside wheel base, which is 1 1/4" or 31.75 mm. The actual wheel centers are closer to 33-34 mm. It will never sit on real track, so whatever I make to suit it will fit the slight gauge offset.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:49 AM

Marcin,
It is hard to see (reflective rulers and poor lighting are bad combinations), but the model is ~22 cm long currently. Bumpers and connectors will add a bit to that.

I've added a fair bit of detailing parts. I am avoiding the drive shaft parts as I quite honestly have no bloody idea where most of them go. I just got a plastic miniature model kit in I ordered a few weeks ago, so this might get set aside while I build that.

If I have a complaint (and there are few, this is an expertly designed model), the steam/smoke stack is really insecure. Design has it placed in a carved hole in the top of the large boiler section, and that only gives it the circumference of the hole as support. As such, it is a bit wobbly. I might give it a bead of glue around the edge to attempt to strengthen it.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Have you given any more thought to the track? West JR has some at Access Denied
Old 08-18-2018, 10:15 PM

I had started to do a layout in Blender for one. Still waffling over just scratch building some. These are pretty cool though, thanks!
Old 08-20-2018, 06:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.32 MB
Hi Tirick,
Nice job so far on what I regard as a challenging model (especially if one doesn't read German) I would have recommended a simpler design, such as Pirling's T-4 tank engine, but you seem to be doing fine with this build. I built the T-4 last year and was very pleased, Pirling's locomotive models are some of the best around, especially for free!
Just one question: Do you plan to build a tender and if so which one? I would use the one from the BR 38. My copy of this kit features only the loco. Anyway, I am enjoying, and learning from your build, makes me want to build another loco!

Bob
Old 08-21-2018, 03:29 AM

I am planning on building the Tender. I have the actual P6 tender files, so I will be building that, as well as eventually a passenger car. The first file I found led me back here to an old post:

New sources for Albrecht Pirling 1:38 free download railway models

In there was a link to a dedicated page with more files:

https://www.kartonbau.de/forum/index...w&categoryID=9

I believe you need an account there to download, if I recall.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 69.70 MB
Thank You for "measuring photos". I'm interested because P6 served in Polish State Railways as Oi1
Proud member of: Bielska Strefa Modelarska
Old 08-30-2018, 06:59 PM

So I have finished my other project, and am returning to the Pirling train in the time between receiving my next order of miniatures.

I am now at a point where it feels a lot like putting a puzzle together. I have the pieces, and a picture of what it looks like, but not really a clear idea yet where everything is going. I am working through it though, and most of the larger parts are now attached or ready to cut out and assemble. Most of the remaining concern is the stack up on the thickness for the linkage parts, whether they are just layered card, or require thicker cardboard.

I will probably print out the tender tomorrow. I can get started on its major parts while deciding on the remaining train parts.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:16 PM

Some further progress. I used styrene rods I had laying about and some cut bamboo skewers to replicate the drive rods, and painted them in an approximate match to the grey/brown of the upper deck.

The remaining parts yet to attach are tiny fiddly parts I have only a vague idea where they belong. I will attempt to get them 'right' but I expect the audience won't notice or care if I misposition something.

I've printed the tender and I may start on it before I fully finish this. I also remembered that I had proper model train ballast I used to use for miniature bases. I think I can use that with some foamcore and funfoam to make some good scratch build tracks.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 171.93 MB
Here are 2 pictures of BR 38 of my brother Albrecht Pirling. Maybe they can help you. Greeting Adolf Pirling
Attached Thumbnails
A. Pirling's Prussian passenger locomotive P6, tender and conversion car, rescaled-p1510005.jpg   A. Pirling's Prussian passenger locomotive P6, tender and conversion car, rescaled-p1510007.jpg  
Google Adsense