PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 08-11-2018, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
A. Pirling's Prussian passenger locomotive P6, tender and conversion car, rescaled

It has been a long while since I posted a build thread, and this is both my first train, and first non-native language build. Thankfully in the intervening years Google Translate has become more accessible, so I am certain I can fumble my way through this build.

I've been getting drawn into a miniatures game which takes place in a steampunk late Victorian era alternate world, called Malifaux. Considering the era, and the style, I have been thinking that an era appropriate steam train would be a perfect fit for the terrain. It scales around 1:48, which is close to American 'O' scale, but electric O scale sets are prohibitively expensive for my purpose. As such I've been looking about for some good paper models. Through some prompting and poking around here, I discovered the Albrecht Pirling designs on a German paper model forum. They both look fantastic, and are perfect for my plans. Malifaux takes place around 1900 or so, so the P6 is quite well within my design boundaries.

His designs are scaled for 1:38, so I've adjusted to 80% of print to get to slightly above O scale (the wheels will be just on the outside of the 1 1/4" standard). The design is still easily buildable I suspect at such a slight adjustment. Some of the internal supporting parts won't likely be required though.

I'll try to post progress pictures as I go. I plan to build the P6, it's tender and a passenger car. I don't have track, but I may just scratchbuild some and paint it by hand. Haven't decided yet.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
That's a very good start!
And that loco looks really nice. Will follow your advances

Old 08-12-2018, 01:29 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Very interesting.

Good luck with this one..... Looks like it will build fine.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:57 AM

Some progress, I've finished the walls and floor for the 'Führerhaus' which Google tells me means 'cabin'. Not terribly hard, although I attempted to cover the white undersides of the walls in ink and the ink bled through to the front, which I'm not happy with. It doesn't looks terrible, but it feels like a rookie mistake. I had some transparency sheet scraps so I've used that as a sub for glass inserts.

The cover for the cabin is next and then the boilers. The boilers have a lot of parts however, and so that will take me a while to reference the sketches and pictures to be certain I have everything in the right places. My unfamiliarity with the source will compound the difficulty I suspect.

Overall the pieces are very well sized and marked for placement. I'm quite pleased with the build and find.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 490.82 MB
Hi Tirick. I love what you are doing here. Thanks for sharing. I will be following. Thanks again,
Google Adsense
Old 08-12-2018, 01:03 PM
Eternal Member

The ink bleeding through - you used felt tips? If you did there's the answer. It's due to the effect of the solvent used.

Try water colour pencils if you haven't. Use them dry or moisten them for more penetration or a darker effect.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:14 PM

Felt ink, yeah. I was trying to work with what I had readily to hand, but I hadn't considered colour pencils, that is great advice, thank you. I'll need to do something similar for the passenger car.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:43 PM
Eternal Member

Water Colour pencils. From an Art Shop or decent craft shop.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:10 AM

I may have some of those around the house, but if not, I might just use some miniature acrylics I have. I'll certainly look for some for future projects though.

A bit more progress, the cabin is completed and I'm starting on the boiler. Scratched my head a bit with some of the parts for it, but I think I have the main boiler sections sorted now.

The boiler is loose, but lets you see how the pieces fit together.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 69.70 MB
Looks like it's made in my favorite "ZERO" sccale. Chould you take a picture of your model along the cm ruller?
Proud member of: Bielska Strefa Modelarska
Google Adsense