PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 02-26-2019, 09:09 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Thank Don, Ricleite.

The storage side is really for me a big incentive to model in a small scale - I often reduce kits to 1/160, 1/200, 21/50 and 1/300 depending on the subject and my ability to build them in that scale!
Old 02-27-2019, 05:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.66 MB
Great work there, glad you got the models via their convoluted route.

I have just put my models up on eBay again so they are currently available.

Good to see that some are actually being built! I know I have models stashed away waiting for spare time (whatever that is) to build them.

I attach a photo I took of the preserved example of the class of loco in this set.
This is now on the East Lancashire Railway in 1950s condition.
She was built in 1895 as L&YR 1300, became 12322 under LMS ownership and 52322 under BR.

I have always thought that the L&Y was an underated railway, perhaps because it did not run into London. Under Barton Wright and Aspinal there was a great deal of work towards standardisation and it was said that there was disgust at Horwich works at the lax standards of workmanship that they found when the 1922 amalgamation occurred.

Robin Madge
Attached Thumbnails
L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-p1080754.jpg  
Old 02-27-2019, 07:23 AM
Eternal Member

Robin - thank you! Yes, the person who brought them actually put them in their passport and document folder! Very diligent.

Thank you also for the photo of the loco - great to see this in such nice condition. 124 years old!

I also agree with your comments on the L&Y - I have always been interested (and impressed) by this railway, and I think the lack of a London connection did affect its fame...
Old 02-27-2019, 05:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.66 MB
And for any football fans (not me), the L&Y's original loco works at Newton Heath had a football team which over time turned into what is now Manchester United!

Robin Madge
Old 03-04-2019, 04:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.38 MB
Very impressive dry brushing and touch ups, Kevin, not to mention your solid assembly job. That coal wagon has a superb, weathered look.
Google Adsense
Old 03-04-2019, 02:27 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Robin for that interesting fact.

And thanks Yeti also for your comments.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:53 PM
Eternal Member

Low Sided Goods Wagon

LYS1 Lancashire and Yorkshire Low Sided Goods Wagon

The “Low Sided Wagons” were generally owned by the railway companies and were used by Traders to transport general goods.

Picture 1 is of a similar wagon – courtesy The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Society.

The fact that these wagons had low sides did not mean necessarily that they carried small loads.

The low sides, in fact, made loading and offloading easy, especially where this was handled manually. It also facilitated the carriage of awkward loads and goods that may not fit in a covered goods van. Goods were secured after loading by covering the whole load with tarpaulins and then roping the tarpaulin down

Picture 2 illustrates how the wagons were often loaded right up! Photo again courtesy The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Society.

The load here looks like cotton bales – it awaits its tarpaulin cover. Two tarpaulins would probably have been needed for a load this size.
Attached Thumbnails
L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-lyw1.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-lyw2.jpg  
Old 03-05-2019, 01:58 PM
Eternal Member

On to the build.

This wagon in terms of the build is very similar to the coal wagon just made and is made up again of a total of 21 parts, with basically only the 2 body parts being different from the coal wagon.

Picture 1 – This shows the two body parts cut out, with some of the remaining parts.

The body of the low Wagon is made first – as per the coal wagon I left small tabs to help will with gluing and squaring the body.

Picture 2 – The body assembled.

The build and assembly then follows the exact same process outlined in the threads above for the coal wagon.

Picture 3 - The axle box and wheels attached, with the wheel spacers about to go on.

Picture 4 – The body touched up and awaiting the headstocks.

Picture 5 – Headstocks in place and buffers now attached. Notice I have cut flats on the wheels – this is to ensure the wagon stands level, and also produces a more realistic effect when the wagon is stood the right way up

Picture 6 - Buffers heads and stanchions attached and left to dry.

When dry I will then touch it up, drybrush in a few places (minimal), and as it looks rather empty, think about some sort of appropriate load.
Attached Thumbnails
L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ls1.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ls2-1.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ls3-1.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ls4.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ls7-1.jpg  

L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ls8-2.jpg  
Old 03-05-2019, 03:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Another beautiful (if that is the right word for a functional and fomby goods wagon) addition to your string of rolling stock.

Don
Old 03-06-2019, 05:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 69.70 MB
Kevin, is the microscope added to the model? Those models are SO SMALLL!!!!!
Proud member of: Bielska Strefa Modelarska
Google Adsense