PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 03-04-2019, 03:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.38 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckychestney View Post
There's a club that has authentic samples of logos from dozens of railroads, all of them were done with the road's tuscan red as a background. Of course, not one shade matches another!
Interesting. That makes sense when I think about it. Also, these things were always outside in the elements. At any given time, freshly painted equipment would have shared the road with that serving at varying stages of time between overhaul.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
Interesting. That makes sense when I think about it. Also, these things were always outside in the elements. At any given time, freshly painted equipment would have shared the road with that serving at varying stages of time between overhaul.

That's probably the most amazing part, all were sent on request by the club brand new and freshly painted from each railroad's respective paint shop. I probably don't remember correctly, but I want to say the club is in Baltimore. I just remember reading about it in a model railroading magazine, but I can't remember which one.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
The locomotive however, while very attractive, is based on the USRA 4-6-2, which from my research the PRR never used. Additionally, the locomotive is painted "Tuscon Red". While the PRR did paint diesels in that color, I have been unable to find evidence that steam locomotives were painted that way.
Models look good.

If PRR steam ever becomes a serious interest this is a book worth acquiring a copy of.
According to it PRR acquired a few from lines it absorbed and tried one new build of some conventional looking round firebox 4-6-2 but all were built 1911 to 1913, which was pre-USRA; and everything else had Belpaire fireboxes.

To the best of my knowledge PRR did paint a few steam locos in tuscan but they were some of the streamlined ones.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.38 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckychestney View Post
I just remember reading about it in a model railroading magazine, but I can't remember which one.
Thanks, Becky. I'll keep an eye out for that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post
Models look good.

If PRR steam ever becomes a serious interest this is a book worth acquiring a copy of.
According to it PRR acquired a few from lines it absorbed and tried one new build of some conventional looking round firebox 4-6-2 but all were built 1911 to 1913, which was pre-USRA; and everything else had Belpaire fireboxes.

To the best of my knowledge PRR did paint a few steam locos in tuscan but they were some of the streamlined ones.
Southwestforests, thanks for the additional info and resource recommendation. What you say about the fireboxes matches the photo research I've been doing through online sources.

I hadn't thought of some of the streamlined locomotives being painted Tuscan, but now that you mention that, one can imagine them wanting the streamlined ones to be showy.

One interesting thing I learned was that the PRR had some steam locomotives (non-streamlined) with the headlight mounted in the center of the smokebox door. All of photos of these I could find were of locomotives which operated on the "Lines West" up until around 1930.

Of course, the center smokebox headlight wasn't typical for Pennsy, which is one of the reasons I wanted to make an additional shell, so I can run both.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:41 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
That's a nice looking boo0k. Alas, I must stop accumulating books right now!
Old 03-07-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Alas, I must stop accumulating books right now!
Is that set in stone? Surely it isn't.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:13 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
It is rather. I have too many books, and need to get rid of a lot - so many need to go.

Bought 1 physical book last year and one this year, so now I am done for the moment. Buy a lot of electronic books through - easy to carry!

I've put the Pennsy on my list though - maybe one day! Never know!
Old 03-07-2019, 09:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
An option is to borrow it from Archive.org as it is available there. There is a waitlist but you can preview any page in the book. Guttenberg.org may also have it.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:39 PM

Some trivia about these, and an idea: Volume 1 was bought new at a hobby shop in Norfolk Virginia in early 1980s; Volume 2 was bought at a Salvation Army thrift store in Missouri in the 1998-2002 timeframe. Along with Volume 2 they had one of William D Middleton's nice hardcover electric traction books, right now I forget which one and am not going to go look at bookshelf to figure it out, might have been The Interurban Era.
So, who knows what you might come across by pure chance!
Old 03-07-2019, 06:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post

Yes, the K-4 "torpedoes" that pulled the Broadway Limited were painted tuscan.

Google Adsense