PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 02-21-2019, 10:02 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.

LYS1 Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Goods Train

Being into Micromodels, I have always wanted to make some of the contemporary Millimodels produced by RS Madge, and at long last, I have now managed to get four sets – thanks to a friend who couriered them here for me!

The first one I have decided to build is Set LYS1 – a rather attractive little Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Goods Train.

It comes packed in the Micromodels format – the cards are enclosed in a wrap around sleeve, with the instructions both on the inside and outside. Inside the sleeve are six cards nicely printed on thickish stock – similar to the Micromodel thickness.

The kit comprises of 6 models to 1/200 scale -
  1. An Aspinall 0-6-0 loco
  2. The Loco Tender
  3. A Coal Wagon
  4. A Low Sided Wagon
  5. A 10 Ton Goods Van
  6. A 6 Wheeled Brake Van

These are spread across 5 cards – the 6th card contains four strips of single line straight track.

Quality is great, and while the printed accompanying instructions are limited, they are up to par of the Micromodel standard and fine for anyone with Micromodelling experience.

But, there is also a fully detailed set of instructions (and hints and tips on making the models) on the Millimodels website.

Pictures 1 and 2 below show the kit and the 5 sheets with the models, while Picture 3 is included to give you an idea of the scale/size!

-------------------------

The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway is particularly interesting for a number of reasons....

In 1847 it came into existence when several existing railways were grouped to form the L&YR, making it the third-largest railway system in Northern England.

However, the scale of the operation is quite startling, especially compared to today’s operations ...
  • It was the most densely trafficked system in the UK.
  • It owned 1,650 locomotives.
  • In the UK this gave it more locomotives per mile than any other railway company.
  • It had 738 signal boxes – all manned.
  • Controlled junctions averaged 1 for every 2.5 miles/6 kms.
  • It operated 1,904 passenger services, which filled a 60-page timetable!
  • No two stations were more than 5.5 miles/9 km apart!
  • It was the biggest shipowner in terms of railway companies (running services across the North Sea and Irish Seas.
  • It was the first mainline railway to introduce electrification.
  • 750,000 to 1,000,000 tickets were sold per YEAR out of automatic ticket machines starting in the 1840s.
  • Numerous engineering feats were accomplished, an example being the Lockwood Viaduct.
Picture 4 – The very attractive Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Herald/Badge.

Picture 5 - An 1840's L&YR Automatic Ticket Machine.

Picture 6 – The Lockwood Viaduct.

Picture 7 - A L&YR steamer.

Off now to start cutting out pieces for the first piece of rolling stock!
Attached Thumbnails
L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-mmly1.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-mmly2.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-mmly3.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-herald.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ticket-machine.jpg  

L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-lockwood.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-steamer.jpg  
Old 02-21-2019, 08:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Oh my gosh those are tiny! Especially since yesterday I was working on a Bachmann G scale 4-6-0! :D But that is going to make a handsome little goods train.
0-6-0 are one of my favorite steam locomotive types. And while we're talking six wheels, I like that 6 wheel brake van too.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:52 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks, southwestforests.

For a train model, 1/200 is actually very small - one difficulty is that paper is a very fragile medium to handle at this scale when the model represents a loco or wagon. So, lots of care required (and plenty of cursing!).
Old 02-24-2019, 07:25 AM
Eternal Member

Loco Coal Wagon Part 1

The first piece of rolling stock I decided to tackle was the “Loco Coal Wagon”.

“Loco Coal Wagons” were owned by the railway companies “Loco Dept.", and the stock was purpose-built normally to the Railways own design – they were larger and higher spec’d than the general “Traders” wagons (which used by actually small traders)

The wagons were then used by the railways to run to collieries to obtain and distribute the coal supplies they needed – not only for locos but also to generate gas at railway stations, for heating at stations and signal boxes. and so forth.

Coal was usually brought from collieries in block trains (although the collieries only had small yards), and then redistributed as required around the network. Bear in mind the intensity of the L & Y operations (see my first post), and it becomes clear why individual or pairs of wagons would be used to redistribute the coal as part of a goods trains run to save costs.

Annual returns had to be made by railways to the Board of Transport – in these, Loco Coal wagons were classified as 'service stock’, while “Traders” wagons were classified as ‘revenue earning stock’.

Picture 1 is of a similar 12 ton Loco Coal Wagon – courtesy The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Society.

-----------------------------

PART 1

On to the build...

“Micromodels” vary in their degree of difficulty, but with care and patience assembly is quite feasible for modellers.

I will do a walk-through for this model as it is fairly representative of the "Micromodel" method of assembly for railway models, but only will only explain in detail in certain areas – since a lot of the assembly methods and approach are similar for many of the wagons.

The coal wagon shares a sheet with a low-sided wagon and is made up of a total of 21 parts (17 on the card and 4 that have to be scratch built).

Picture 2 - This shows the card with the parts for this wagon separated.

Picture 3 – The first step is to cut out the two parts that make up the wagon body – the outside of the body and the inside with the load.

PART 2 below is a continuation of this section of the build.
Attached Thumbnails
L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-12t.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ly1.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ly2.jpg  
Old 02-24-2019, 07:26 AM
Eternal Member

PART 2

Picture 1 – Basically the load is made first – I left four tabs on the sides when I cut it out to help me in glueing it together.

To ensure it was 100% square, I inserted a small steel engineers square inside when forming the corners.

The body of the coal wagon then fits around the load.

The printed coal load is quite acceptable at this scale, but I decide to provide more coal on the form of a “3D” load. To get the coal load I cut a piece of 30 grit carborundum paper to size and then dry fitted the body around the insert and this. In Picture 3, the 30 grit paper is shown at the bottom.

I also found that with the addition of the 30 grit paper, the coal load was now too high and projecting above the wagon sides, so I then cut a couple of mm all around off the bottom of the load sides.

Picture 2 – The grit paper was then glued to the top of the load. The grit had a tendency to fall off from the edges when the paper was cut, and I reattached a lot with PVA. Watercolours were then used around the edges to touch up/

I also painted the inside edges of the body at this stage as well.

Picture 3 – The body assembled around the load.

Picture 4 – Next step is to cut out the Axlebox Assembly….

Picture 5 – ...followed by the Wheel Assembly.

Picture 6 – After scoring the parts, the sides on both these parts have to be bent up at right angles, as shown in this picture.

Picture 7 – For both of these parts, I then strengthened the sides by brushing on a little superglue using a brush-on superglue. Here a picture of the glue just to prove this stuff does exist! it takes a while to set; it also lasts forever if kept in the fridge.

Picture 8 - The Wheel Assembly and Axlebox now ready to be attached.

Time for a break!
Attached Thumbnails
L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ly3.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ly4.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ly5.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ly6.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ly7.jpg  

L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ly8.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-super-glue.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ly9.jpg  
Old 02-24-2019, 07:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Good call on using that 30 grit paper for the coal. It looks like the car is actually filled with a load of coal to haul.

Are there any problems with the paper parts delaminating?
Old 02-24-2019, 12:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
If it looks small, very good start Kevin, delicacy and patience.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is wonderful stuff, Kevin!

I was glad to get the information about the L&Y in pre-LMS days.

You are doing a superb job on this delicate little model.

Don
Old 02-24-2019, 10:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Looking good. And I have learned there is 30 grit sandpaper!
That was so totally not expected.
Oh! Just remembered this website, which is recently moved to this new server, which has some really grand information, especially illustrations, drawings, for people interested in modeling goods trains and facilities used by UK railways.

Quote:
"Goods & Not So Goods

An overview of railway freight operations for modellers
(from around 1830 to about 2010)"
https://www.igg.org.uk/rail/index.htm#fops

I haven't modeled UK railways but do sometimes borrow ideas from them for freelance models in On30 and in G scales.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.38 MB
Nice start! 1:200 is close to Z gauge. The historical background you provide is interesting, too. I look forward to your updates.
Google Adsense