PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 03-16-2019, 08:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
This will probably be my last build of the Wild Wild West Japan Yoshitsune

The colors were sampled from photos on the first build, but they needed to be bolder. Recolored the cylinders to more resemble the Wanderer, reworked the cattle catcher, added laminated parts to the dome caps and the front of the boiler, put windows on the cab, added the headlight and the boiler support rods for the front and re-worked the tender to be the same width as the locomotive.

These actually build quickly, so even though I work a double today, I should be able to finish this tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
Wild Wild West Japan Railway-20190314_223217.jpg   Wild Wild West Japan Railway-20190315_140406.jpg  
Old 03-18-2019, 11:28 AM

Actually the tender wheels have the same gauge as the loco, so I reduced everything to fit on the truck for the tender and it looks pretty good.

Cowcatcher bars need to be longer, and the triangle point they glue to needs to be shorter, but I'm not going to be doing any more on this. I will get it better on the Leviathan, which is my next project. Back in 2015, the Leviathan was used to pull the replica Lincoln Funeral Train. Way back when, I had thought to do the Lincoln Funeral Train, right about the time I first thought of doing the Wild Wild West Wanderer. Looking at my images, I think I was looking at the Funeral Train before the Wanderer.

The Lincoln Funeral Train left Washington with nine cars. As it made its trek to Illinois, every time it changed lines, it changed engines, since gauge wasn't uniform at the time. Only two cars made the entire trip, the Funeral Car and the officers' car. Both were military cars built to run on many different gauges. The other cars were swapped out when they changed lines. On the Lionel train, they modeled the Old Nashville, which is the train used leaving Cleveland, but it is beyond my abilities. That is why I'm using the Leviathan which pulled the replica train.

Enough of that for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Wild Wild West Japan Railway-20190317_212919.jpg   Wild Wild West Japan Railway-20190318_112552.jpg   Wild Wild West Japan Railway-20190318_112634.jpg   Wild Wild West Japan Railway-20190318_112719.jpg  
Old 03-18-2019, 04:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
For all my interest in trains I've not known much about the Lincoln Funeral Train's operation. Number 8 is looking pretty good.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:20 PM

I had planned on moving on to the Lincoln Funeral Train project tonight, but I have a bit of a bug and don't want to do something that will get screwed up.

My son is a huge Lincoln fan, and when I originally thought of doing this project, I was thinking of a two or three diorama set. From the Historic Illinois site, the old Springfield depot is available. I had thought to have the train at the depot for one scene, the hearse passing in front of the Lincoln home for the other. If I could get better views of the vault he was originally buried in, I thought of doing the Springfield hearse in front of the vault. I have seen old photos of the train at the depot, but the locomotive is cut off or completely out of the photos I have seen. That's why I settled on doing the 2015 Replica Funeral Train engine
Old 03-20-2019, 09:28 PM

Successfully removed the cowcatcher and redesigned another. By tweaking things and including a right triangle 'former' inside it, it is buildable and looks appropriate, even though there are fewer bars than there should be. I think it looks good and will be doing the Leviathan and Wanderer using this type of cowcatcher, only with a few more bars. I'll have to play with it to see how many bars will still build well. On the one engine, there should be nine bars on each side, and on the other, eight. I don't see any way that that many bars will work with this method.

I will probably do a lamination treatment on the wheels like Zio used, in order to give them more depth
Attached Thumbnails
Wild Wild West Japan Railway-20190320_084423.jpg   Wild Wild West Japan Railway-20190320_134848.jpg   Wild Wild West Japan Railway-20190320_135905.jpg   Wild Wild West Japan Railway-20190320_140000.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-21-2019, 08:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Lovely model and build. I am toying with the idea of making a train set for my wild west themed stuff (when I get there) so one of these could be a great way of starting to study the shapes!

Chris
Old 03-21-2019, 11:09 AM

I hope to get the Wanderer done in April with the two train cars and Gordon's wagon.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Cleveland, Ohio. That's my bailiwick!

When Lincoln's train passed through in 65, the magnificent Union Depot was under construction:

Made out of limestone mined in Berea, a suburb south west of downtown, it was the largest structure under a single roof when completed. The previous station, which Lincoln passed through on his trip to Washington in 60, was mostly made of wood and burned down in 64.

The funeral procession and public viewing gazebo on public square:

Old 03-25-2019, 07:47 AM

That train in front of the depot looks a lot like the Old Nashville

I don't know who threw the tagline on the photo, but there were over a dozen engines that pulled the train. My limited understanding is that it did the stretch between Cleveland and Chicago.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:56 PM

All my work on these was lost in my hard drive crash last year. With Robert Conrad 's passing, I really wish I'd finished this
Google Adsense