PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 01-27-2020, 04:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Cor and Diderick are currently working on the design of the Santa Fé / Alaska RR coach, type Budd, and once it's ready I will be building the prototype. Also, within reasonable time frame there will be a follow-up on the F7A build, as the next logical step is also to make the F7B unit.

Together with the coach, it'll become a real train and a spectacular set of models. Herewith a few pictures of the design process. As usual, Cor is paying a lot of attention to interior details and no doubt the result will be very attractive. Will keep you posted with more details!

Regards,
Erik
Then you'd better let them know the corrugations and roof pattern they are using is P-S/ACF, not Budd...
Old 01-29-2020, 04:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
sgoti: yes, we are aware of that. This model has been a nightmare from information point of view - just some very vague pictures, no detailed drawings, very difficult to find info about the trucks... we have had to improvise. The resulting model may show some discrepancies, only visible for people with expert knowledge. However, in combination wioth the F7a and B it will look spectacular! it will give an excellent impression of the real thing!
Reservations are very welcome.
Regards, Diderick.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:28 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
A good effort Diderick and nice to see a decent model of this subject area now available.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderick A. den Bakker View Post
sgoti: yes, we are aware of that. This model has been a nightmare from information point of view - just some very vague pictures, no detailed drawings, very difficult to find info about the trucks... we have had to improvise. The resulting model may show some discrepancies, only visible for people with expert knowledge. However, in combination wioth the F7a and B it will look spectacular! it will give an excellent impression of the real thing!
Reservations are very welcome.
Regards, Diderick.
Simplest thing is to call it what it is: A model of an ACF sleeping car.

(Would you call an Airbus a Boeing? Didn't think so...)

Last edited by sgoti; 01-29-2020 at 06:46 AM.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:53 AM

You are absolutely right - we will follow that advice! Did this firm ACF buildmore or less all passenger cars for US railways?
DAdB
Google Adsense
Old 01-29-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
You are absolutely right - we will follow that advice! Did this firm ACF buildmore or less all passenger cars for US railways?
DAdB
You... Really haven't looked into this at all, have you?

A Google search on "American Passenger Car Builders" yields the following:
https://www.google.com/search?q=amer...r+car+builders

In turn, one of the results is for the Wikipedia page on passenger cars:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_car_(rail)

Limiting that to the topic at hand, what you need to know is that there were three major builders of streamlined passenger equipment:

1) Budd
2) American Car & Foundry (ACF)
3) Pullman-Standard (PS)

As for quantities, what was built and for which railroad, and what was sold to secondary owners, I will leave those rabbit trails for you to research.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:30 AM

sgoti: Ouch, that hurts. You have no idea how much time and energy I have put into finding information on this subject - concentrating on drawings, good pictures and the like. But no, I had not thought of looking for the firms who actually built the cars in question. They may be household names to you in the USA - perhaps it comes as a surprise to you that here in Europe very few people have ever heard of them, with the Pullman firm as an exception. We know that as the British Pullman Car Company which built luxury coaches for Wagons Lits.
However: I started this project with requests for information, which led to no more than two or three reactions of limited use... Generally too little, too late... Your somewhat unkind remark rather spoils the fun.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:05 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Quote:
sgoti: They may be household names to you in the USA - perhaps it comes as a surprise to you that here in Europe very few people have ever heard of them, with the Pullman firm as an exception. We know that as the British Pullman Car Company which built luxury coaches for Wagons Lits.
Not only in Europe but the rest of the world too!

Reading your post Dierdrick, I have had always had the impression that the British Pullman Company was just that and never thought it had an American connection.

And looking it up, and the Americal Pullman Company, it appears there is no connection between the two other than the use of "Pullman" in the company name.

"Pullman" was used back then just as a descriptive name (like a "sleeper coach") - hence the similarity in the naming.

It looks like it was used to refer to a "sleeping car" design, specifically with fold-up beds above and seats below,
Old 01-29-2020, 02:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Today, with increasing surprise, I read the changing tone of this thread in a matter of just one day.

Sgoti, the technical comments and links you provided are very valuable and are appreciated by designer and publisher. But let me remind you that you are a guest of this thread. My thread, and your sarcastic comments go too far. Be happy that there are people, non-Americans, who take the trouble to convert a piece of American heritage into a paper model that everyone can enjoy.

It gives a lot of pleasure to those involved in it and they deserve much better than your irrelevant comment. Turn it around: What do you know about the Dutch Railways and the trains that operate in our country? Nothing, I suppose.

So, behave yourself otherwise I reserve the right as host to show you the door.

Erik
Old 01-29-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
sgoti: Ouch, that hurts. You have no idea how much time and energy I have put into finding information on this subject - concentrating on drawings, good pictures and the like. But no, I had not thought of looking for the firms who actually built the cars in question. They may be household names to you in the USA - perhaps it comes as a surprise to you that here in Europe very few people have ever heard of them, with the Pullman firm as an exception. We know that as the British Pullman Car Company which built luxury coaches for Wagons Lits.
However: I started this project with requests for information, which led to no more than two or three reactions of limited use... Generally too little, too late... Your somewhat unkind remark rather spoils the fun.
I do apologize if my tone was a bit harsh.

As I recall, I was the first one to try and supply you with information (at least publicly):

Passenger coach for the Santa Fe F7

There was no follow-up, so I had no idea how/if this project was progressing.

You have two pictures at the end of that thread, one of which is one of the Alex Stroshane drawings I provided the link for.

Sorry if nobody else provided information (or inadequate), but I have no control over that.

Tags
diesel engine, f7a, santa fe, zeist bouwplaten