PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 06-06-2019, 02:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.65 GB
Hi Diderick,
hi Erik,

great to see someone doing that EMD legend. Hope it will be available to buy in the future. By getting the Blomberg trucks it must be relatively easy to do an GP7 or GP9. With all those different liveries.... Maybe a dream come true.

Peter

https://modellcom.blogspot.com/
Old 06-06-2019, 03:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by modellcom View Post
Hi Diderick,
hi Erik,
great to see someone doing that EMD legend. Hope it will be available to buy in the future. By getting the Blomberg trucks it must be relatively easy to do an GP7 or GP9. With all those different liveries.... Maybe a dream come true.
Peter
https://modellcom.blogspot.com/
Erik is doing the test build to check if anything needs to be corrected or changed - after that, both 7A and 7B will be on sale, both in printed form and as print your own. I would appreciate reservations via pm, or via my website Order form, so I will have some idea of how many to print. The more the better: it may help lower the final price. See my site for more information.
And of course, if this becomes a success, designer Cor and I may consider more options like you suggest!

Last edited by Diderick A. den Bakker; 06-06-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
The driver's cab

Wow, that's quite a few responses - thank you all very much and welcome aboard this journey!

The model is indeed pretty big, I exaggerated a bit last time though, it's actually slightly over 30cm long. Nevertheless, an impressive size. The nose is indeed the challenge of the model, but I'll come to that soon.

First, the driver's cab. I'm not sure having used the correct wording here. If I literally translate the Dutch word, the outcome is "train operator". I'd rather prefer driver, but correct me if I'm wrong .

The test version indicates that the parts for the cabin internals need to be printed on 120 grams paper. Personally, I find this too thin. Yes, it's good for the cabin lining parts, but for the remainder of the internals it's too thin; better stick to 160 grams, like for the other train parts.

Just a few pictures here of the front cabin's internals. All parts fit well, and the chairs are in fact of ingenious design. The seat and back rest consist of one part only that comes together flawlessly. For the various handles I used thin plastic rod (dia 0.3mm) instead of the paper versions as per the model's design. The internals are not complete yet, the heater on the left side, as well as the instrument panels on both sides, still need to be installed.

For a better understanding of the various other parts that make up the cabin I found a few pictures on the web and one of them reveals that the box near the left seat is in fact a water cooler or something. Ayuh, even the "train operators" needed a drink so every now and then. But I wonder if that's an original feature of the fifties?

One interesting feature is missing. If you look at the first two pictures you see two vertical levers or pulling rods with handles, which I'm pretty sure were used to activate the air horns. I think I will add these myself as they are interesting details.

As you can see, some parts are very small! More on the cabin's internals later.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_9910.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_9913.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_9908.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_9909.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_9914.jpg  

F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_9915.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_9922.jpg  
Old 06-09-2019, 04:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
In North America, trains have engineers.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
A very detailed cab. Nice work (as always) Erik.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Google Adsense
Old 06-09-2019, 06:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Water cooler could have been either an EMD factory option, or be railroad installed. Is probably same or similar model to ones installed in passenger coaches and in cabooses.
On the vertical rods with handles, yes, they are for the horns, and they are ropes instead of metal levers.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
The nose

Thank you guys for your responses, next time I will use the correct terminology. Engineer, right. By profession, I'm an engineer too, albeit a chemical engineer.

Next logical step is to build in the internals but first the body (hull is for ships; fuselage is for aircraft; body is for trains??) needs to be assembled. Basically this consists of two parts, otherwise the model wouldn't fit A4 or letter size paper.

There's a lot that can be told about building the nose as some alterations to the original design were required as appeared during the process, as after all it's still a test-build.

In the final version the nose has been divided into two main sections, which make the entire assembly easier to build, especially when connecting the - let's call them - petals that make up the characteristic bulge.

I've not been taking pictures regularly during this part of the build but to give you a bit of an impression of how the parts look like before assembly, in the first two pictures the original design and joining strips are shown.

Remaining pictures are of the final version. Cutting out the windows is a tedious job and joining the windscreen to the roof section and side posts takes patience and careful planning. The side posts have a tendency to buckle as they need to be bend in both concave and convex shapes. For this reason I cut them in two parts and don't think this could be solved or designed in a different way.

As you can see in the pictures, it's really a step by step process of gluing and correcting to get to the end result. Final touch-ups with red paint or marker are still required but that will follow in due time.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_9924.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_9925.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_9995.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_9997.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_9998.jpg  

F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_9999.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0001.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0002.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0008-2-.jpg  
Old 06-19-2019, 05:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Well done, Eric! It is always a pleasure to see your exceptionally clean and precise work. It is going to be a beautiful model of this classic locomotive.

Don
Old 06-19-2019, 12:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
That's really looking good.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
WOW, great job Erik. The designer also did a nice job representing the nose.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Google Adsense

Tags
diesel engine, f7a, santa fe, zeist bouwplaten