PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 07-07-2019, 03:25 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Just when you think it can’t get any better, IT DOES!!! Beautiful work. Can’t wait till this one becomes available.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
good work Erik

Old 07-08-2019, 06:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Beautiful work, both design and build! The complex shapes in the front end look great and both the printed and 3D detail is very effective. Fine work, indeed
Old 07-11-2019, 03:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.26 MB
That's a great job, Erik! The shape of the nose has come out fantastic!
St. Peter's & Vatican - 1:3900 - Micromodels
Old 07-11-2019, 10:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 542.99 MB
Once again Erik you produce a magnificent model of a beautiful loco. The detailing is superb, I would love to see a pic of all your models layed out on a big table, I am sure there must be a lot of them, probably two or three photo's.
Owen
Google Adsense
Old 07-15-2019, 04:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
The wheels

Thank you Sergio, Ab, Rich, David, Ricardo, Marco and Owen! Just a bit of progress to share with you. You probably would be surprised Owen (Tramfan) to hear that I only have a very modest collection of models despite the fact I'm paper modeling already since quite some years. There was a time I started models and hardly ever finished them. In fact only after becoming a member of this forum in 2012 and writing building reports I found the patience and perseverance to finish models ever since 2013.... Perhaps because I have little time to spare for modeling it's hard to keep the momentum going and being active on the forum just provides me the motivation required to pass the inevitable dead end during almost any build.

Well, so far for psychology but that toughest moment of the build has arrived. Tough in the sense of time consuming and repeating building steps: Wheels and trucks.

The wheels are finished now and were easy to assemble. Just a slight correction required to the length of the treads, to be shortened by approximately 0.5mm to fit the flange covers at the tapered end.

The axles are made from the parts provided with the kit although alternatively they can be made from a wooden stick. To reinforce them I placed pieces of tightly rolled up paper inside.

The wheels can still be slid freely over the axles, I only intend to glue them into position once the rails are finished and the spacing between the wheels properly determined.

Next will be the trucks....

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0278.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0280.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0282.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0283.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0285.jpg  

Old 07-15-2019, 05:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
The wheels can still be slid freely over the axles, I only intend to glue them into position once the rails are finished and the spacing between the wheels properly determined.
Ah, that sounds like the smart thing to do.
This sure is shaping up in to quite a nice model.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Of course the Alaska Railroad version will come with a snow plough. White test model.
Attached Thumbnails
F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-alaska-1.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-snow-plough-1.jpg  
Old 07-17-2019, 09:03 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
A great job Erik - especially on all those curves. This really is lo0oking good.

Been off the Forum for a bit, so trying to catch up now!
Old 07-18-2019, 04:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Trucks - Part 1

Goodday gents, a short update before going on holidays and thanks once more for your reactions. Kevin, good to see you're back again on the forum! Diderick, that snow plough looks impressive and SWF, I learned this from the Gresley build a few years ago. I had glued the wheels on the axles and glued the rails exactly on the designated locations and found out the that the pitch of the rails should have been wider as the wheel flanges didn't fit in between. This required modification to something already completed, and there's nothing worse than that... So I've become a bit more cautious now .

Alright, the trucks. For some reason I found it very hard to make progress on the assembly of the first one up so far, and it' not even complete yet. As shown here, only one out of four brake cylinders has been installed and the brake yokes/shoes are still missing.

In the meantime all cylinders are in place now (however no pictures yet...) and the brakes are under construction. I have glued the brake parts on 0.5mm thick board, which looks more realistic, but it took time to properly cut them out, and then the edges need to be painted yet.

The truck parts do fit well and the only modifications I made are a few details to highlight the finely printed skin details, such as the frame for the center steps, the axle hubs and some other structural parts. Also I cut out a few of the black areas, to enhance the looks of the trucks.

I put a pin in the swivel joint on top to easily and accurately position the truck below the fuselage. The dry-fit certainly looks good up so far, I think! Note that the wheels have still not been glued yet to the axles.

That's it for now, will be back in a few weeks time after the yearly Summer break .

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0304.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0305.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0308.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0309.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0306.jpg  

F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0307.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
diesel engine, f7a, santa fe, zeist bouwplaten