PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 06-19-2019, 07:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Next logical step is to build in the internals but first the body (hull is for ships; fuselage is for aircraft; body is for trains??)
Body or carbody will work.
The F-unit (and E-unit) nose shape is a tricky thing & I'm going to say that something may not be quite right here. The windshields might should sit a little bit higher relative to top surface of nose and to the height of side windows.
Those compound curves can play tricks with one's eyes depending on viewing angle.

See for reference:
https://www.railpictures.net/photo/70725/

and

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/482614/

and

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/581156/

and

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/476619/

and

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/334582/
Old 06-20-2019, 12:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.65 GB
Hi Eric,

a great job doing the nose so well. Even the model train manufacturers had often problems getting this part the right way.

Peter
Old 06-20-2019, 02:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post
Body or carbody will work.
The F-unit (and E-unit) nose shape is a tricky thing & I'm going to say that something may not be quite right here. The windshields might should sit a little bit higher relative to top surface of nose and to the height of side windows.
Those compound curves can play tricks with one's eyes depending on viewing angle.
Thanks for the pictures Southwestforests, they provide a wealth of details to keep in mind for addition when finishing the model.

I understand what you mean, and the actual round edges seem to appear sharper than in the model. However, front screens in the model are higher than the side windows. No doubt that the designer has used many actual pictures to design the model, and based the dimensions on the GA drawing posted by Diderick a while before.

But there's also some trick of the eye involved here, the angle from which I took the pictures of the model and of course the effect of a fully dressed up loc in your pictures, whereas the model isn't finished yet, which "fools" the brain to certain extent.

The actual build is a bit further and from the picture attached to this post it already shows that the loc's eyebrows better resemble those of a Neanderthaler, in other words there's more similarity with your pictures.

In any case I'm curious about comparing the side view of the build's end result with especially the first picture you attached.

Regards,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0188.jpg  
Old 06-23-2019, 12:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
The body

Thank you Don, Whulsey, Gary, Modellcom and Southwestforests - glad you like the result up so far.

With the nose finished it's time to work the inside of the engineer's cab. First, I printed the inside lining on 120 grams paper.

Over time I have made it a habit to cut large lining parts into smaller ones, which makes it easier to correct and to glue. Designers tend to forget that the dimensions of the inside lining parts should be somewhat smaller than the outside so corrections are usually required. However, no problem.

Before gluing the internal parts in place I placed the windows first. Templates for front and side screens, as well as for the port holes along the sides, are included in the building instructions.

Then comes the build-up of the main body of the locomotive. Unfortunately there's a bit of color difference in the aluminium plating between the front and aft sections that make up the body. For stiffness of the large hull I laminated the inside with 160 grams paper and installed the backside former as well. For this purpose I cut the former away from the already prepared internals assembly.

Moreover, to aid in the overall body reinforcement, I added the ventilator fan assembly on the roof.

Next will be the installation of the engineers cab and other internals. The way I see it, the internals section is too large to be successfully glued in place in one go. Also how to install the cab correctly is a mystery and the formers require quite a bit of sanding as they are all just too large. Time to seriously ponder about the next move...

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0009.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0010.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0011.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0012.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0060.jpg  

F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0062.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0063.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0077.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0078.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0079.jpg  

F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0061.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0081.jpg  
Old 06-23-2019, 01:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Great! But how do you get these perfectly round and neat portholes?!
Google Adsense
Old 06-23-2019, 01:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Yes, amazing work as always, Erik. The designer did a great job too. A very beautiful model.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 06-24-2019, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
good work erik

Old 06-24-2019, 03:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Erik ,looks magnificent, precise and super clean as usual. The smoothness of these curves is great.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
It continues to come together!
Getting the window glass in a model locomotive sure makes it feel more like it is heading toward being finished.
At least it does with the operating models! :D
Old 06-25-2019, 08:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 705.14 MB
outstanding!!! Santa Fe F7 "warbonnet" was always my favorite locomotive
Google Adsense

Tags
diesel engine, f7a, santa fe, zeist bouwplaten