PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 07-18-2019, 06:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello Erik,
I can assure you that spoked wheels take more time to assemble than plain wheels. Just joking
There is fine detail on trucks
I wish you fine holidays!
Old 07-18-2019, 07:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Great, everything looks great. Have a nice vacation!
Old 07-18-2019, 07:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 558.93 MB
Erik -

A minor technical note - the "center steps" as you call them are actually leaf springs that provide suspension and cushioning for the body of the locomotive, and the "frame" is actually a swing hanger to help stabilize the truck assembly as it goes over bumps in the track and rounds curves.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Marco van Hattum has just started a test build for the F7B version: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/r...d-emd-f7b.html

For reservations, printed or as download, sen me a pm or go through my website (prices on Home page, news).
Old 08-10-2019, 02:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Building the second truck

Hello PM's, back again from a two weeks break in Bretagne (Brittany), France. A very beautiful area to stay, and the weather was excellent. In fact, temperatures were ridiculously high end of July. Summer temperatures in Brittany, as well as in The Netherlands, are usually quite moderate, owing to close proximity to the sea. However, this year on July 22nd, temperatures rose to above 40 degrees C, also in NL, which has never happened before. Way too hot for me but with all these climatic changes, extremes will happen more and more. Like yesterday, when the center of Amsterdam was hit by a small tornado.

Anyway, back to the build and to the ones who also enjoyed a summer break, I hope you had a great time! As I still enjoyed a week off last week there was enough time to spare to start the second truck, with more pictures taken during the building process.

Herewith the latest status: The main structure, the leaf springs and added details (thank you for the information, jamoldover!), installation of the axles, wheels and hub caps and the individual wheel spring suspension assemblies. Next will be the brake actuators, brake shoe assemblies and swivel joint between truck and loc body.

As I have mentioned before, building the trucks is a time consuming process and not the most interesting part of the build. Nevertheless, no issues encountered except for some trimming of the parts here and there; everything came together nicely.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0612.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0613.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0614.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0615.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0616.jpg  

F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0617.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0618.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0622.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0632.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0633.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 08-10-2019, 04:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Superb work on the trucks.

Don
Old 08-21-2019, 04:31 AM

The second truck continues

Thanks Don!

Well, the work continues with adding the brake cylinders and associated components. Also, the braking shoes have been added and finally the wheels glued to the axles. The inside wheel flanges pitch measures 2.8cm, which fits nicely inside the rails.

To ensure proper alignment of the wheel flanges, I made a simple template that fits in between the wheels. During drying of the glue I placed hold-down weight on the trucks to make sure the wheels remain level.

Should be able to finish both trucks in the coming days.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0638.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0639.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0640.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0641.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0642.jpg  

F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0644.jpg  
Old 08-21-2019, 06:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Exceptional detail! Clever jig. And as always, superbly clean and precise work.

It's a pleasure to see your work, Erik.

Don
Old 08-26-2019, 05:07 AM

Trucks finished, as well as the roof details

Thank you for your kind words Don, well appreciated!

In the mean time both trucks are finished, with all the brake system details in place. Initially I only placed a small pin inside the swivel joints to properly center them at the body but found it hard to accurately place the pin in the middle. So I glued a small rimmed collar at the body, around the white area where the swivels need to be glued, in which they exactly fit, to ease the job. The fit is so tight that the trucks remain in place when holding up the model. I will only glue them onto the body once the tracks are finished.

Other details completed now are the air horns, lifting lugs (to cut out the white parts is a tedious job...), engine exhausts and ventilation outlets.

The last picture perfectly summarizes the status of the build up so far. Next will be the hoses on front and rear sides and then all hand railings and steps. If you look carefully to the last picture, you will notice a few hoses already .

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0655.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0656.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0657.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0658.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0659.jpg  

F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0660.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0661.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0323.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0667.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0668.jpg  

F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0666.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_e0670.jpg  
Old 08-26-2019, 07:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
I don’t understand how you can work so neat and clean with the heat lately here in Holland. My hands is too wet for accurate work now.
Google Adsense

Tags
diesel engine, f7a, santa fe, zeist bouwplaten