PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 09-09-2019, 07:29 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Truly a beautiful piece of work Erik!
Old 09-09-2019, 10:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Congratulations! Enjoyed following the build. Beautiful finished model!

Fred
Old 09-16-2019, 04:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Tracks-1

Thank you jaffro, eatcrow2, Kevin and Seascape! Almost done, almost done.

The second last detail is to add the hydraulic or pressurized air lines to the brake cylinders. Although hardly visible, adding this details had been on my mind for some time so I used thin metal wire to bend in the correct dimensions and added the lines to either side of the trucks. Paint touchup with Tamiya sky grey, which appeared to be matching very well, sprayed both trucks with satin varnish and done.
One last item to go after gluing the trucks to the main body, which is the speed transmitter line.

The focus of the build has always been on the iconic nose, so herewith finally a picture of the rear end .

In the mean time I started working on the tracks. The kit includes two basic stretches of tracks and to add more realism I decided to rework them.
Glued the sleepers on 1.5-2mm thick cardboard, cut them out (38 altogether...) and painted the edges dark brown. I glued extra copies of the tracks on a piece of board as a template and glued the sleepers on them. Another piece of board underneath for overall strength. Then applied glue all around the sleepers and sprinkled finely sieved sand on the wet glue, pressed lightly and then shook off the excess. Bit by bit. Not yet finished but getting there within the next few days. So, to be continued....

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_e0748.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_e0747.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0694.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0742.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0743.jpg  

F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0744.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0745.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0746.jpg  
Old 09-16-2019, 05:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
That's a great ballast mix.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Delighted to announce that both models are now available, in print as well as in download (suitable for Letter size paper). They are my jubilee publications: nrs 50 and 51 in my Paper Trade series!
The extra surprise is that we have also done a version in Alaska Railroad colours. Contact me for a white version if you wish to do a colouring of your own choice. Prices 24,50 EUR for the A unit, 20,00 EUR for the B unit; for the download version 13,50 EUR and 10 EUR.
Those who have already reserved a copy will receive a mail later today or tomorrow. For new orders, send pm or (preferably) mail me direct at da.denbakker(at)planet.nl
Attached Thumbnails
F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-pt_cover_f7a_sf_jubilee.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-pt_cover_f7b_sf_jubilee.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-f7a_alaska_cover_jubilee.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-f7b_alaska_cover_jubilee.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-26-2019, 05:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.38 MB
Absolutely stunning work! The level of detail on this locomotive exceeds that of most of the professional O scale train producers.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
This is great news. Fantastic models. Thank you Diderick.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 09-26-2019, 11:01 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
What a beautiful piece of craftsmanship Sir. I've been out the loop for quite a while, and then discover your work on my return, delightful.

AWESOME !
Old 09-26-2019, 01:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
I feel I should say this once again: builders often do a great job and are praised in glowing terms - but very few of you actually have any idea of the hours and expertise that go into the design of a model like this. Cor van Haasteren is now working on the DC4 Skymaster (of Berlin Airlift fame), and together we are giving those who are interested some insight into the process. The thread is very interesting: Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.

The first picture shows the sort of drawing available as a starting point; the other two show the first 3D versions. Have a look at the thread to get some idea of all the work that goes into a really professional model.
Attached Thumbnails
F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-1-douglas-dc-4_c-54-three-view-plan-low-res-version.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-18-dc4.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-20-dc4_render_12.jpg  
Old 09-27-2019, 03:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Tracks and the last details - 2

Thank you all for your kind words, and yes, the F7A is finished now! Final pictures will follow shortly. Still working on the tracks but three out of four rails are in place now and the loc fits nicely within the pitch of the tracks. Real life got in the way and I have been saving the minutes last two weeks to make at least some sort of progress.

Yes, the builder usually gets the praise as it's the builder's work that is the most visible. However, it shouldn't be forgotten to mention that the synergy between builder and designer significantly contributed to the end result. And in all modesty, it's team work that gets the job done. So far for the project manager (and ex-soccer coach) in me, which is my daily work.

One last detail I still wanted to install on the model, of which I think has to do with the speed measurement, and also visible on some of the actual pictures.
I'm not sure if the detail was installed at both trucks and/or at both sides of the loc but it looks like only on the left side and for both trucks. Herewith some of the references I used (one of them a CAD drawing of the F7B) and the result in the model. Made of plastic rods dia 1mm/0.75mm and painted Tamiya Sky grey.

Finally a Work In Progress picture of gluing the tracks on the sleepers. Alternative tools were used to keep the rails in place . Next time the track will be finished and the final pictures included.

It's been a fun build and a very interesting journey as this was my first test build, although I never really regarded it as such. A build is a build! The end result is shown on the model's cover.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-f7a_5.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0185.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0887.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0888.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_0886.jpg  

Google Adsense

Tags
diesel engine, f7a, santa fe, zeist bouwplaten