PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 06-02-2019, 12:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)

It's been a while, so it's time to start a new thread. The Hurricane is nicely displayed in a show case and even before starting the model, Diderick den Bakker of Zeist Bouwplaten asked me if I would be interested to do a test build for a not yet published model, the famous American F7A diesel locomotive. Just like the previously issued A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, the model's scale is 1:48, or O-scale.

I gladly took up the offer and somewhere in January, when still happily working the Hurricane, he sent me the files, and as time progressed, quite a few updates followed by mail. Standard procedure according to Diderick but I almost got lost .

Designer of the model is Cor van Haasteren, who is currently designing the DC-4. The ins and outs of the design process can be followed in an interesting thread on this forum.

It's a test build so some surprises may follow along the way, including problem solving with the designer and publisher. Never mind, that's the charm of it but the build may progress with an irregular pace. In any case I will not bother you with too many side steps but certainly already a few hurdles have been taken in the mean time. Anyway, let's start.

I printed the pdf files on 160 grams A4 size paper (0.2mm thickness), but the sheets are also suitable for printing on letter size.
Some of the parts need to be reinforced with cardboard. Ensure you use board of thickness 0.8mm, then the total thickness will be 1.0mm.

The model can be built with interior details or without. I chose the interior version, which shows a lot of details of the cab but basic details of the diesel engine. Not much of a problem as the engine will be hardly visible through the four port holes, two on either side.

In fact, the building instructions start with the nose section but I deliberately decided to start with the interior first. The nose is somewhat complicated and I felt more comfortable to start with something "light and easy".

Here you see the ground plate with formers and engine parts in between. The cab at the front will follow later. The model will be approximately 40cm long, so not particularly small. To avoid skewing of the ground plate I put paint jars on either side to keep the bottom flat during drying of the glue. Pretty much like building a ship model.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-f7b.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_9898.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_9899-2-.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_9900.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_9901.jpg  

F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_9902.jpg   F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-img_9907.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-02-2019, 01:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
WOW. I'm so looking forward to seeing this build. It will be really interesting to see how that nose goes together. The interior look very nice.

Thanks for Sharing Erik.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 06-03-2019, 07:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Good start, Erik
A test build must be more challenging than a checked kit. Particularly a kit checked by expert hands and the "machine" behind them The next builders will be happy...

I'm curious to see how the complex front surfaces were treated by the designer. Hmm, 40cm at 1/48 scale means that the real thing is BIG!!!
Old 06-03-2019, 09:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Looking good Erik.

Fred
Old 06-03-2019, 02:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 69.70 MB
So far so good. I'm very interested in this model.
Proud member of: Bielska Strefa Modelarska
Google Adsense
Old 06-05-2019, 10:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 542.99 MB
Very nice Erik, will follow the build progress like I did with your Gresley loco, some curvy parts on the body, hope to see how you do them, always seems a problem for me.
Good luck and enjoy, we will.
Owen
Old 06-05-2019, 10:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Off to a good start Erik. Impeccable as usual.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricleite View Post
I'm curious to see how the complex front surfaces were treated by the designer.
Indeed, am curious about that too. Those compound curves have given trouble even for those who make or manufacture in brass or plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricleite View Post
Hmm, 40cm at 1/48 scale means that the real thing is BIG!!!
According to my 1980 copy of Model Railroader's Cyclopedia Volume 2, Diesel Locomotives, the real deal was/is around 50 feet (15.2m) long over the couplers; 15 feet (4.5m) high over the cab roof air horns; and right around 10 and a half feet (3.2m) wide over the cab door grab irons.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:29 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Erik - great to see you start another model build thread, the more so as it something I am interested in.

I am sure you will do a great job - as always!

Will be following along...
Old 06-06-2019, 11:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Dimensions: this is what we used.
Attached Thumbnails
F7A Santa Fe Diesel Engine (O-scale)-f7.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
diesel engine, f7a, santa fe, zeist bouwplaten