PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 10-24-2019, 09:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 158.97 MB
Real sizes?

I'll like to assemble some paper trains, but I have a great problem: I can't find anywhere the real size of any of the models that I have found.
Yes, I know that if you find a model to print in A4 size page, it must be at N, or O, or H scale, but each printer has small differences, and I would like to resize them to 1/72 scale.
Where can I find the real size of them? Or there is any company that gives the real size of the paper locomotives they do?
Google Adsense
Old 10-24-2019, 11:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Capital Idea... I'll be sure to note the actual size of the Oregon Pony when done, normally I would just put a scale on the parts sheets..
Old 10-24-2019, 04:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.66 MB
I sell my millimodels as physical items printed on card at 1/200 scale.
If I were to sell any models as digital downloads I would give some dimensions of the real thing so that customers were sure that their printers were correctly calibrated, or to allow for rescaling.

Robin Madge
Old 10-24-2019, 04:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
If you have any shops close that sell model railroading kits and supplies, they will usually carry prototype books that will have size information. Here's a link to guage information which could be used to establish scale also.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard-gauge_railway
Old 10-24-2019, 09:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 414.21 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
I'll like to assemble some paper trains, but I have a great problem: I can't find anywhere the real size of any of the models that I have found.
Yes, I know that if you find a model to print in A4 size page, it must be at N, or O, or H scale, but each printer has small differences, and I would like to resize them to 1/72 scale.
Where can I find the real size of them? Or there is any company that gives the real size of the paper locomotives they do?
Not an expert, just happened to know some facts. In general only the operator needs to be known as that defines the real life track gauge, which is also the length of the wheel axles which you can measure from the kit.

The majority of world operators run either 1067mm narrow gauge (Japan, New Zealand, South Africa) or 1435mm standard gauge (USA, Europe, Australia) - less common is wide gauge (USSR) and 1000mm metre gauge.

For example, in model form standard gauge track in 1:45 O is 31.75mm, in 1:87 HO it is 16.5mm and in 1:160 N it is 9mm.

Hope this is helpful.
Google Adsense
Old 10-25-2019, 04:15 AM

I've seen the standard track size, but when we are talking about machines with 20m lenght or more, a mistake of a quarter of milimeter in the printing can make a difference of 3.6m in real life (5mm in the model). So I would need the real width. Thanks anyway
Old 10-25-2019, 04:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.66 MB
Published overall lengths can be misleading as you are never sure if buffer lengths are included ( and they are sprung anyway).
The most reliable long length to use can be the wheelbase.

Robin
Old 10-25-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimodels View Post
Published overall lengths can be misleading as you are never sure if buffer lengths are included ( and they are sprung anyway).
The most reliable long length to use can be the wheelbase.

Robin
I've had the same problem with helicopters (lenght of the fuselage or includes spining propelers?) and tanks (lenght includes gun or only hull?) but at least they give a lenght. Trains, not even that.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:52 AM

Is length, no lenght. Sorry by my english