PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 11-14-2019, 07:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Passenger coach for the Santa Fe F7

No use to even consider making a standard coach (with the red & yellow band along the bottom) without good drawings. Can anyone help? Mail or pm with reservations are of course welcome, but The design drawings have to come first!
Attached Thumbnails
Passenger coach for the Santa Fe F7-pt_cover_f7a_sf_jubilee.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-14-2019, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderick A. den Bakker View Post
No use to even consider making a standard coach (with the red & yellow band along the bottom) without good drawings. Can anyone help? Mail or pm with reservations are of course welcome, but The design drawings have to come first!
If you are trying to be authentic, your passenger coach should not have any striping on it, most of Santa Fe's streamlined passenger equipment was polished stainless steel.

There were some streamlined cars that were other than stainless steel. Depending on the time frame, they could have been painted silver with shadowlining, two-tone gray, or solid gray.

The only cars that had the scheme you describe was the Valley Flyer, which ran 1939-1940 during the Golden Gate International Exhibition. The red/yellow/black stripes ran along the bottom of the cars. Note that this time frame is before the era of your cars.

If you can find it (or someone can provide for you), the April, 2001 issue of Model Railroader has plans for a 1953 Budd-built coach. The July, 1994 Model Railroader has plans for the Pine-series sleeping car. I thought they also has color renderings/plans for the streamlined Chief, but I cannot find a listing.

All of my reference materials are buried/packed away right now, otherwise I'd try to help with what I mentioned above.

The only resource I know of online is here: Scale Drawings
Note that while none of these are specifically ATSF, they would help you with the general details such as height, length, truck spacing, and overall contours. That might give you a good base to start from, then it becomes a matter of doing the right skin. (Stay away from the ex-Army cars, those are a different breed altogether.)

Somewhere I did find the AAR standard profile for passenger cars, which give all the details on the different radii involved in the correct profile.

Good luck!

<edit> Somewhere there was a person restoring a Great Northern sleeping(?) car, and he had actual blueprints of the car on his site. Don't know if the site or the plans are still around. Again, I know it's not Santa Fe specifically, but it would help in the construction minutiae...

Last edited by sgoti; 11-14-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:08 PM

Sgoti,
I have done some googleing, and now realise that the red-yello-bck striping is indee very rare.
Could you find a suitable drawing (with measurements) of a proper passenger coach? I do not have the knowledge required to make a selection from your scale drawings link. Of course we would have to imitate the corrugated iron effect in the design!
Hope you can help,
DAdB
Old 11-14-2019, 12:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderick A. den Bakker View Post
Sgoti,
I have done some googleing, and now realise that the red-yello-bck striping is indee very rare.
Could you find a suitable drawing (with measurements) of a proper passenger coach? I do not have the knowledge required to make a selection from your scale drawings link. Of course we would have to imitate the corrugated iron effect in the design!
Hope you can help,
DAdB
Ahem:

All of my reference materials are buried/packed away right now, otherwise I'd try to help with what I mentioned above.

If I had found anything online showing an ATSF car, I certainly would have posted a link.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:34 AM

The scale drawings site Sgoti referred me too is indeed a good start. But I need more detail: the bottom fixtures, for instance, and especially the bogie.
I was given a Model Railroader 1993 with good coloured side views. But not a word about the bogies...
Can anyone help with scans of the articles Sgoti mentioned: Model Railroader has plans for a 1953 Budd-built coach. The July, 1994 Model Railroader has plans for the Pine-series sleeping car?
Attached Thumbnails
Passenger coach for the Santa Fe F7-amtk2461-2467.jpg   Passenger coach for the Santa Fe F7-bogie.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
f7a, paper trade, santa fe