PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 02-07-2020, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
That looks like a very interesting book, thanks for sharing, also on my list is the Hassalo, the Wasco, the R.R. Thompson and the Daisy Ainsworth, these will all be in a series of which the Oneonta is the first, it set Marji back $60 USD for the Oregon Historic Society to reproduce the Oneonta plans that I'm working from, they are pen and ink on sail cloth... It didn't take me long to realize that in it's short service duty, the Oneonta at some point in time had a major modification.

The plans as well as a very early photograph show it as having a single stack amidship whereas later images show twin stacks ahead of the plot house, this model will provide either option...
Old 02-07-2020, 10:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Those boats are mentioned.
Talking about service careers brings to mind a couple other books which may be of interest if not already on hand; each is in the 300 to 400 page range.
Will just give title info instead of putting in photos:

Way’s Packet Directory 1848–1994: Passenger Steamboats of the Mississippi River System since the Advent of Photography in Mid-Continent America; by Frederick Way Jr., and Joseph W. Rutter; February 15, 1995

and

Way's Steam Towboat Directory; by Frederick Way Jr., and Joseph W. Rutter; June 11, 2013

What I will put in photos of is this calendar, both it and the organization which created it, https://steamboats.com/, may be of interest;
(The Frederick Way books, and other books, are available from them)

Old 02-07-2020, 01:28 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Interesting references southwestforest.

Thank you!
Old 02-07-2020, 01:56 PM

Duly noted...
Old 02-07-2020, 02:35 PM

And speaking of references which speak of steamboats and of early 4-wheel steam propelled carriages which might efficiently run on rails, this arrived in today's mail after a bit of back and forth courtesy of the US Postal Service's roller machinery literally eating the original shipping package, also covers connected legal, industrial, political, and Patent, competition, intrigue, and a wee bit of underhandedness, in 272 pages;

Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2020, 03:16 PM

It looks to be very interesting...
Old 02-08-2020, 04:03 PM

Looking at the plans of the Oneonta, the first thing that is prevalent is the sleek, narrow form of the hull, it brings to mind the lines of a, "racing yacht" , this sleek hull design was necessary to cut through the notorious, "chop" of the , "middle river".

This 40 mile stretch of the Columbia river was blocked down stream by the impassible cascades (rapids) to the up stream, impassable water fall at Celilo.

All ships that plied this middle river were designed and built specifically for this section where a 3 ft (+) (1 m) waves were average to easily double that in stormy weather, these sleek hulls were needed to cut through that persistent chop.

I've studied these ships for over 40 years and I believe the Oneonta to be the most beautiful ship I've ever seen with it's graceful lines, growing up in the Gorge all I ever heard was, "sternwheeler this, sternwheeler that", very little mention of the middle river sidewheelers so I thought that I would start this series by, "paying my respect" to these ships that seem to have been over looked by history..
Old 02-08-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRD View Post
I've studied these ships for over 40 years and I believe the Oneonta to be the most beautiful ship I've ever seen with it's graceful lines, growing up in the Gorge all I ever heard was, "sternwheeler this, sternwheeler that", very little mention of the middle river sidewheelers so I thought that I would start this series by, "paying my respect" to these ships that seem to have been over looked by history..
That's a cool idea!
Old 03-15-2020, 03:14 PM

I'm pleased to announce that the Oregon Pony model is now available from ecardmodels.com.

After discussing the implications of international exchange rates with Marji, it was decided that she would cut the price from $15 USD to $9.95 USD.

Likewise, she reverted back to her previous moniker of, "Replicating Excellence" that she came up with when she did all of those little Inns, so you see, a lot can happen in a short span of time, the model can be found here-> https://ecardmodels.com/product/1-20...ny-paper-model

Last edited by FRD; 03-15-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:09 AM

I'm saddened to announce the sudden, unexpected passing of Marji, one moment she was, "on top of the world" the next moment she's gone, I will miss her tremendously...