PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 12-14-2019, 08:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 193.89 MB
Excellent work . Coming togther nicely
Old 12-14-2019, 08:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Drive gear and axles

The main drive gear is a fairly large cylinder, note that this model has a number of very discreet, "alignment marks" as there are some pretty eccentric parts that, when the mark on the part is aligned with the corresponding mark to receive, it centers the two parts perfectly.

On this gear, every other tab has an alignment mark, when adhered to the corresponding mark on the opposing side, it centers the two sides perfectly.

The rear axle and drive gear are then added to the frame, a # 9 knitting needle was used to form the axles, care was taken to assure that the seams were up with the frame inverted so that they would be underneath with the frame right side up.

The last photo shows the frame up to this point, the wheels are next.
Attached Thumbnails
The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-01.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-02.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-03.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-04.jpg  
Old 12-14-2019, 08:56 AM

I seem to be having a problem with viglinks generating links that I don't want, going to have to get to the bottom of this as it really sucks and is quite an annoyance...
Old 12-18-2019, 07:36 AM

Wheels

Wow!, for a guy who was in a big hurry, these wheels certainly, “cooled my jets”!, for me personally, this was my first, “challenge” as I have VERY LITTLE (if any) experience with, “free-hand cutting” of curves and circles, up until now, I’ve always cut using a straight edge.

If you are looking for an, “exact replica” then this may not be the model for you but if you are in for a, “reasonable facsimile” that is, “mathematically correct”, that has been kept as SIMPLE as absolutely possible, then we have that covered.

These wheels feature only 8 parts each and are rather, “unusual” (to say the least).

Firstly, each side of each spoke is scored, the space between the spokes is then divided and folded inwards 90 degrees, the purpose of this is twofold, it gives the spokes a little, “depth” but more importantly, they add rigidity to what would otherwise be pretty flimsy wheels.

Again with the alignment marks, these are particularly useful because the wheel has a taper, the marks allow the parts to be perfectly centered even though they are a substantial distance apart.

Since the tops of the wheels are level with the top of the frame, the easiest way to accomplish this is to leave the frame inverted on a good, flat surface and attach the wheels resting there, again, all of the seams are upward so they are below when the assembly is turned right side up.

All four wheels differ so they each have discreet markings indicating RF, RB, LF and LB and of course, these too are up side down with the frame inverted.

Now that the wheels are done I can move onto all of the fun stuff above the frame, boiler, tender etc., this should go pretty quickly...
Attached Thumbnails
The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-01.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-02.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-03.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-04.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-05.jpg  

Old 12-19-2019, 02:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Some clever engineering on the wheels.
Google Adsense
Old 12-19-2019, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 193.89 MB
Really enjoying this Build . Trains are my thing
Old 12-20-2019, 03:16 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Keep going, keep going. Really nice and I can't wait for the finished result.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:41 PM

Primary drive gear

Okay, moving right along, next on the list is the primary drive gear, brakes and firebox, everything that fits below the boiler, again, the alignment marks are an invaluable tool for aligning parts that are to be centered at some distance, with all of the drive components assembled, they are then added to the frame.

One unique aspect of this little locomotive is, because it was gear drive, as it moved forward, the primary drive gear was actually rotating in reverse, this must have been quite a sight to see in action.

The fire box is then assembled and added to the frame, note the angle iron used to mount the front of the firebox, note as well the upper flanges of the firebox are turned outward to accommodate the boiler.

A transparent straight edge was used to align the back of the firebox with the receiving marks on the frame for the decking, this is critical or the decking will not fit.
Attached Thumbnails
The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-01.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-02.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-03.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-04.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-05.jpg  

Old 12-20-2019, 12:49 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Really great!
Old 12-20-2019, 12:56 PM

Brake lever shaft

Now that the firebox is in place, time to add the brake levers and shaft to the back of the firebox while the boiler is still off, this is the very first of what promises to be a tremendous number of 2mm tubes.

Some of you may be wondering, "Hey man, what's up with that blue background?", the answer is pretty straight forward, you see, I have VERY LIMITED room in which to work on this, essentially the space that my computer keyboard takes up.

As a matter of fact, I have to stow my keyboard just to have room between me and my monitor to work on it, I have a light that is in a fixed position so I have to hold it up to the light, this puts it directly in front of my computer monitor.. (get used to seeing it)

With all of this done, I can now move on to the boiler.
Attached Thumbnails
The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-06.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-07.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-08.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-09.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-10.jpg  

The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-11.jpg