PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 11-14-2020, 02:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
A little more progress - nearly finished with the body now:

Earlier stage of putting the seats inside:

Now for the roof - here it is with the battens glued and a subtle black wash for weathering. I'm not sure whether to add ventilation humps, I may not as this looks pretty clean as it is.

Now for an 'experiment' - it seems a shame not to illuminate the interior but there's no way I can get lighting in here - not enough space and I have no idea of the electronics anyway. So, I want to try a different solution, using phosporescent paint. The inside of the roof is liberally coated with this, in a blue colour (maybe yellow would be better, but lockdown, and I don't know if this is even available in normal times).

This is the result after giving it about 30 seconds with my bike light: A faint glow, but enough to provide some illumination. The overhead luggage racks do block it somewhat.

For reference, this is shining the light directly through the windows:

As the phospho needs direct exposure to the light source to work best, I am making the roof part removable (also leaves the possibility to see the interior and add any figures later). There is a little bit of light leakage, but this will be gone when the roof has been precisely shaped and the slotting strips glued in place.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Looking good!
Old 11-25-2020, 12:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 327.36 MB
Hello Siwi. It is superb. What talent. I love.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:57 AM

Update from this weekend:

I shortened the roof back as I didn't like the overhangs. The corners of the car are now complete too.

Now to start the wheels and bogies. This all went together much faster than I thought and here you can see the main componants. Axles are cocktail sticks, wheels are 2 layers of card for each segment. I will be adding a cog for the rack system to one axle.

I cut a simple jig, a slot to the width of the scale track, in order to get the spacing of the wheels exactly right. The wheels will also be carefully sanded to make them as round as possible.

Can you guess what these will be?

Old 12-17-2020, 05:19 AM

Here are the axles and bogies in various states of assembly. I am using some small pieces of foam for suspension, there are also bits at the bottom of the side cylinders representing the shock absorbers.

And attached to the underframe by a crossbar and vertical axle:

The weight of the carriage pushes it down almost to the lowest position with a bit of room for movement:

The bogie can also pivot freely on the horizontal plane, and allows a small amount of movement on other axes:

Google Adsense
Old 12-17-2020, 11:43 AM