PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 08-07-2020, 05:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
I didn't bother to cut out the white sections in between the spokes of the hand wheels, as this is a lot of work with great chance of failure and it will hardly be visible.
Actually, the Budd-built 10-6 cars utilized a ratchet-style hand brake located inside one end of the car, so no exterior brake wheels would be present.

Additionally, the handbrake (ratchet or brake wheel) would be present on one end of the car only, not both ends.

Agreed on having the name plates as separate item and one-piece.

This is coming along quite nicely!
Old 08-07-2020, 06:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Eric, really nice work. Only got to spend one night in a sleeper car, on a trip from Oklahoma to Michigan. Nice memories.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
good work Eric. have a good holiday, i have taken the sleeper train from paris to milan for the larst 4 years not quite as plush as santa faye car but i did have a 3 berth capartment all to my self comeing back last year bliss.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Outside skins

Hello everyone, back from the holidays and time to restart this build. Thank you Glenn, Whulsey and David, I hope you all enjoyed the summer as well.

This time a modest update, needed to get back into the right mood for building again. The other half of the skin is also finished now with additional relief details (especially the corrugated part underneath the windows) and the next step will be wrapping up the interior sections with the outside skins. Quite a critical step in the entire build and I'm still giving it a thought how to do this in the best way. The skin parts are large, almost A4 size, and I'm not fond of gluing large areas, as it's a one time right thing with great potential of disaster.

To be continued!

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2228.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2342-2-.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2343-2-.jpg  
Old 08-31-2020, 04:03 AM

Outside skins

Oops, double posting of the same...

Last edited by Erik Zwaan; 08-31-2020 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Removed text
Google Adsense
Old 08-31-2020, 04:36 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Aha - I was wondering what had happened.

Good luck with the next step!
Old 08-31-2020, 05:54 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I have almost zero interest in trains (up to now), but I have to tell you Erik that this model is absolutely amazing. I'm in awe.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:00 PM

The Moment of Truth

Thank you Kevin and rockpaperscissor! That's a great compliment, sir and I do hope you have gained more interest in trains - they're worth it .

Indeed, the moment of truth has arrived. The skins need to be glued onto the sleeper body. I have been pondering for quite some time how to get this done in the least riskiest way, as the surfaces to be glued are large and it all has to be done spot on. No margin for errors!

From trial fits I learned that the roof formers likely need to be trimmed (sandpapered) in order to get a good overlap of the windows, which is the determining factor. But would it be best to glue the skins one by one or join them together first and then place them in one go?

Eventually I decided to combine the skins first,. the joining strip is just made from thin paper (80 grams). Then I used coarse sandpaper to trim the roof formers until the fit seemed ok.

I started gluing the side with the 13 windows but kept the roof fully free to allow further sanding the roof formers. After drying, I rounded the skin carefully around the formers and noticed that they needed a bit more trimming for the window openings to match correctly.

Then I reinforced the roof by gluing pieces of 200 grams paper in between the formers. Before letting the glue dry, I applied strips of glue in between the reinforcement patches and rolled the sleeper body around like a sushi roll to get an even attachment of the skin to the roof formers.
Put it then back on its side again to check the window openings. Then, time to take a rest and let the glue dry for a few hours. Books come in very handy as "presse papiers" to keep things in place properly. Please use acetate glue (I am a fan of UHU) for such large areas!

Finally, the other side (10 windows) was glued. This side holds the corridor along the bedrooms and it proved to be difficult to glue skin and interior as the interior wall bulged somewhat inwards. Luckily I had not put placed the end plates yet, and the open end allowed me to slide in a long ruler to press the inside side wall firmly against the skin. I hope you understand what I mean to say.

Hope you don't mind all these construction details but this is by far the most critical part of the build as it will make or break the model.

After overnight drying and hardening of the glue the result is a sturdy sleeper coach and I must say, the additional paper patches I used at the walls and roof to reinforce the body has paid off.

As you can tell from my hand on the second last picture, the model is of respectable size!

That's it for now, next are the end plates and bottom details. The end of the built slowly comes in sight .

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2357.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2358.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2359.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2361.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2362.jpg  

Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2363.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2368.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2369.jpg  
Old 09-06-2020, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Wow!

Wow wow wo wow WOW!

Looking great!

I see a couple of (easily correctable) errors, would you care to know about them?
Old 09-06-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoti View Post

I see a couple of (easily correctable) errors, would you care to know about them?
Hi Glenn,

Yes, I would! Things are still correctable.

Thanks,
Erik
Google Adsense

Tags
o-scale, papertrade, pinegrove, santa fe, sleeper