PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 01-10-2021, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 558.93 MB
Looking at the last photo, the ballast size you're using is a bit on the small side, at least for main line track, which in the US tends to be about 3-5" stone. You may want to try something a little courser, like a fine aquarium gravel in 1/48. Beautiful work on the ties (sleepers), though - those look magnificent! The tie plates are a bit modern, though - they look like ones meant for track clips, which weren't used in the US until (I believe) the 1980's. Even since then, they tend to only be used on high-speed lines or ones with concrete ties. Prior to the 1980's (everywhere), and in most places even now, rails were usually fastened using spikes, which use tie plates that have square holes that allow for two spikes on each side of the rail, and sometimes allow for additional spikes if the plate needs to be fixed to the tie even more securely. Usually only a pair of spikes (one on each side) are used, though.

Here's a photo of what this would look like in use (thanks, Wikkipedia!):

This is not to criticize the work you've done and the effort you've gone to - it's simply to note that the high standard you've set so far for the Pine Grove would be better matched by taking the model of the track to the same level.

Joshua
Old 01-10-2021, 01:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
I have to throw in my 2 cents here. Erick, you have done a fantastic job all around. This is not a diorama; it is a single car on a STAND. The stand does not have to be in scale or look realistic (ship models sit on two sticks in a block of wood). Besides, you want people to look at the model, not the stand. End of sermon.

John
Old 02-12-2021, 08:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Very slow progress on the last bits and pieces

Hi Joshua and John, thanks for your responses. You are both right, my intention is to make a reasonably realistic stretch of tracks, using the materials and examples I have, and that's fine with me.
Joshua, in the picture you referred to the ballast bed had not been placed yet! I've been using sand to this extent as you can see in the pictures. Put acetate glue in between and alongside the sleepers and sprinkled sand on top of it, that's basically the process. Then the rails. Like the sleepers, this has been borrowed from the F7A kit. To reinforce the bars, a core of thick cardboard has been added. Last thing to be done is to add a bit of grass and scrub effects, and paint the edges brown, similar to the stretch of tracks I built for the F7A. And then, time to shoot a few concluding pictures of the engine-sleeper combination. Won't take long....

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_e4486.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_e4697.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_e4698.jpg  
Old 02-22-2021, 05:28 AM

Track finished - A few pictures of the entire train

Well, the tracks are finished and herewith at last some pictures of the F7A - Sleeper combination. More than one meter long and my background picture is too short....

Unfortunately unable at the moment to use a more appropriate "Santa Fe style" background as I can't print out other pictures. My home printer is not able to do so and due to the current Covid-lockdown in NL the place where I could print is closed. Certainly something to do when life has returned to a more normal situation as a Monument Valley kind of backdrop would be more suitable.

The other thing missing is the F7B engine in between, which will be a build for maybe somewhere later this year. This would complete the entire set.

That's all for now folks! Thanks for following!

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_e4989.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_e4991.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_e4992.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_e4993.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_e4994.jpg  

Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_e4995.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_e4997.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_e4998.jpg  
Old 02-22-2021, 07:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Fantastic!
Google Adsense
Old 02-23-2021, 08:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Beautiful models, sir.

When you say your printer can't print out other pictures, does that mean it isn't working, or that it won't do long prints? I was going to suggest just doing a mirror print of one end of your background and tack it on as a temporary fix. Until you do the F7B, you don't need to stretch your background much.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
That is one fine build!! Much more detail than my HO Bachman. Thanks for the "show and tell".

John
Old 02-24-2021, 07:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 558.93 MB
What you forget (until you see something like this) is just how MASSIVE 1:48 scale is... Only one locomotive and one car - and it's still more than a meter long. Imagine how long the original full train (A-B-B-A locomotives, plus 13 cars (RPO, Baggage car, 8 sleepers of various kinds, diner, lounge, and dome car) would be in that scale.

Beautiful job!
Old 02-24-2021, 07:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoldover View Post
What you forget (until you see something like this) is just how MASSIVE 1:48 scale is... Only one locomotive and one car - and it's still more than a meter long. Imagine how long the original full train (A-B-B-A locomotives, plus 13 cars (RPO, Baggage car, 8 sleepers of various kinds, diner, lounge, and dome car) would be in that scale.

Beautiful job!

You'd have to rent a convention center just to display it on a curve!
Old 02-25-2021, 01:48 AM

Thank you Becky, Vermin King, John and Joshua. Indeed, it would take a lot of space to exhibit a full train in this scale, but it would also be a spectacular sight. And also, imagine the time it would take to design and build those models. Your words are certainly encouraging me to build the F7B as well. Don't worry, it's on the to do list....

Best regards,
Erik
Google Adsense

Tags
o-scale, papertrade, pinegrove, santa fe, sleeper