PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 06-15-2020, 12:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
More interior

Thanks Kevin and David! Covid-19 layout ....

You have a good point though, Kevin. The sleeper doesn't have a very economic layout, with only 10 seating compartments and 6 roomettes. I think comfort went above economic aspects here. Imagine these trains were operated in the fifties, in an era where gradually transportation by air across the US became a significant factor and increasing competition to railway companies. Train operators must have thought that by comfort and space they still could persuade passengers into their trains rather than travelling by expensive air transport. I'm not sure but it must have played a factor.

In any case, the seating compartment is nearing completion now. All seats are in place and once you get the hang of it, the building goes fast.

As one can see through the windows I found that the walls of the compartments are very bare and I searched for Santa Fe Railway posters to obtain pictures appropriate to the fifties era on the walls. I'm certainly not sure if this was reality as well but in the days that I travelled a lot with the Dutch railways there were always nice landscape pictures in the train compartments.

So I collected quite a few, yes with the "super chief" as well, reduced them in size and hang 'm up to walls so that the passengers had something to check out - apart from the landscape. I'm happy with the result.

Well, that's it for now. Meanwhile work on the sleeping section has started.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1924.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1928.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1929.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1931.jpg  
Old 06-15-2020, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
When I asked Cor to have a go at this sleeper coach, I shoukld have known he would go all out again! And Erik, you addition of contemporary posters makes the whole model even more attractive. Looking forward to the last stages, of course.
Diderick.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
A little clarification...

In Joshua's post (here), in really, *really* small print, is information about this car type/revenue capacity.

This car is known as a 10-6 sleeper, because it has 10 roomettes and 6 bedrooms.

The roomettes are what you are calling "seating compartments", and what you are calling "roomettes" are actually the bedrooms.

The roomettes have a fold-down bed, allowing for a private compartment to sit in during the day, and with the bed folded down, a place to sleep during the night.

More info (with link to downloadable copy of a Pullman brochure) here.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
The interior does look very inviting. Very nice build work Erik. Like Diderick, I love those posters, very nostalgic.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 06-17-2020, 02:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
I believe the 'roomette' arrangement with reclining seat is still in use on Amtrack's sleeper trains today. Compared to first class single compartments on European sleeper trains it's no less an economical use of space, as the Euro beds take up 2/3 the width of the car, although most are equipped for use with 2 or three bunks per compartment. I'm also guessing that back in the 50s people took heftier luggage with them and needed somewhere to store a suitcase, briefcase, and hang their film noir hat and overcoat.

Wonderfully neat build and as with all interior models hopefully there will be enough light to view the details once complete.

I presume these cars didn't have wifi and USB power
Google Adsense
Old 06-25-2020, 11:45 AM

The bedrooms

I must admit, I'm a bit sloppy with using the correct wording for describing the parts and spaces that make up the sleeper but English is not my native tongue and I'm very grateful that you guys keep on coming with useful and very interesting information. I loved to read about the features of the Pullman bedrooms and roomettes, very ingenious and nostalgic.

I know that the designer had a hard time to find consistent pictures of the internal layout and details (he used his own imagination as well to fill in the blind spots) and what you see here in the pictures differs from the bedroom arrangement so nicely described in the Pullman brochure but on the other hand the layout matches more or less with different pictures Cor showed me.

Anyway, this is how the other half of the sleeper will look like. All walls are in place (with perfect fit) and now I'm working on the seats and benches to complete this section. Also the seat parts come together without problems.

A few other details still have to be added, such as reading lights and a few Sante Fe Railways posters on the walls. These do not come with the model but it's fun to play around a bit.

Having said that, it's pretty dark inside the sleeper and I've been searching for led light strips for the internals to stand out better, and to do justice to the effort put into designing and building them. Not sure where this will lead to but it's worth the try.

Lights have to be in place before gluing the ceiling to each section. Thanks Diderick, for pointing out a few very useful sites and I think to have found what I'm looking for.

To be continued.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1963.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1964.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1965.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1966.jpg  
Old 06-25-2020, 05:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Miller Engineering has some 12 volt mini fluorescent tubes that could look a bit more prototypical than LED's: https://www.microstru.com/Flourescents.html
Old 07-06-2020, 08:10 AM

More interior

Hi Becky, thanks for your response, those small tube lights look very neat. In the meantime I've considered and bought LED-light strips instead, which can easily be used over the entire length of the sleeper and which are readily available in household type of shops overhere.

Well, continued with the interior of the sleeper compartments. In the bedroom section all seats are in place now and I've turned to adding Santa Fe Railways posters on the walls and other details, thanks to the information that you have provided.

In the model the roomettes do not have doors (just openings) but based on the layout drawing and roomette information sent by Jamoldover and Sgoti, they must have been equipped with sliding doors and I have started to add those in, along with a separate wall panel to create the envelope in which the door disappears.

Why bother you may ask, but once the lighting is in, as I found out when creating a makeshift mock-up with the lights in place, a lot of those details will become visible. It's a bit of extra work but that's the fun of it. The last two pictures show how it will eventually look like for each roomette. The "link" to close the wall opening above the door still has to be added. I have used the same doors that close off the bedrooms from the hallway in the other section (window only partially made - won't be visible).

That's it for now,
Erik

Also I intend to install reading lights above the seats, as I found on one of the pictures. These will not be functional
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2047.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_e2048.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_e2049.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_e2051.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_e2053.jpg  

Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2054.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2055.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2056.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2057.jpg  
Old 07-06-2020, 09:37 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Very nice Erik!
Old 07-06-2020, 10:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
I wonder if the Pine Grove sleeper is made from paper which is made from pine tree pulpwood? Would that not be most fitting?
Google Adsense

Tags
o-scale, papertrade, pinegrove, santa fe, sleeper