PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 09-08-2020, 05:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Thanks Glenn, I will leave the center skirt and make some other modifications, using the "Amtrak picture" as reference. Number of corrugations can't be changed anymore in the test-build. I understood from the designer he has made a few changes as well.

Regards,
Erik
You are quite welcome sir.

I wouldn't expect any chang in corrugations to be reflected in the test build, those are a change in coloring, not a dimensional change in any particular part.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Front and rear ends and another consideration

Thank you gents for all your valued comment and suggestions (sgoti/Glenn, Kevin, Dutchbuilt/Cor and ennder/Wes).

The build continues with adding the already prepared front and rear ends to fully close off the internals. Needed a bit of sanding at the curved top parts but other than that the fit is great. The cable connection of the lighting is at the rear end.

Next is continuing with the equipment at the underside of the sleeper. Before starting with that I decided to first check the overall dimensions of the sleeper with the F7A model. To summarize an evening of experimenting, this will require a few modifications to the test-build version of the model:

At the blind (rear) end, the truck needs to be positioned 0,5cm towards the rear end, then the center line of both trucks is equally positioned from the rear respectively front end (in the model: 7cm; in reality 12' 9", based on a scale of 1:50).

The overall height of the sleeper is 13' 6", which corresponds to 8.2cm in the model. However, the mock-up with the trucks underneath measures about 0.5cm higher, which means that corrections need to be made to lower the sleeper to allow proper fit with the coupling block at the F7A (or B) and the corresponding "harmonica doors". By doing so the sleeper and engine heights will be somewhat different (F7A/B are higher) but when studying actual pictures, this looks like to be in line with reality. Difficult to see though as all pictures I could find show a perspective line-up.

As you can see in the model pictures, I placed the engine on a notebook of approximately 4mm thickness (0.4cm) and that seems to result in an acceptable fit.

So, next will be finding a way to reduce the height between trucks and sleeper, resolve that first and then continue with the underside equipment and skirts. Work In Progress!

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2389.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2390.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2380.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2383.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2382.jpg  

Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2385.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2386.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2388.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2381.jpg  
Old 09-10-2020, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
At the blind (rear) end, the truck needs to be positioned 0,5cm towards the rear end, then the center line of both trucks is equally positioned from the rear respectively front end (in the model: 7cm; in reality 12' 9", based on a scale of 1:50).

The overall height of the sleeper is 13' 6", which corresponds to 8.2cm in the model. However, the mock-up with the trucks underneath measures about 0.5cm higher, which means that corrections need to be made to lower the sleeper to allow proper fit with the coupling block at the F7A (or B) and the corresponding "harmonica doors". By doing so the sleeper and engine heights will be somewhat different (F7A/B are higher) but when studying actual pictures, this looks like to be in line with reality. Difficult to see though as all pictures I could find show a perspective line-up.
I would like to see the pictures you are using for reference that show the relative heights between the locomotives and passenger cars.

There should not be that much difference in height, certainly not as large as what your mock-up is demonstrating.

"Harmonica doors"- Are you meaning diaphragms?
Old 09-10-2020, 05:01 AM

And question: You refer to the scale of this model as 1:50, while the F7 was referred to as 1:48.

O scale is 1:48. Is 1:50 simply a typo?
Old 09-10-2020, 12:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 470.35 MB
Wow! Really clean and crisp build. I've really enjoyed following along (and learning more about trains!). Can't wait to see how it all looks when finished and with the lights on.
Google Adsense
Old 09-10-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoti View Post
I would like to see the pictures you are using for reference that show the relative heights between the locomotives and passenger cars.

There should not be that much difference in height, certainly not as large as what your mock-up is demonstrating.
Belay that, I might be in error.

Hard to see when researching photos on my phone, I'll have to check my reference materials when I get home.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
I believe the Santa Fe standard with F-7's was to run A-B-B-A consists so as a rule there would be no locomotive to car interface.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:32 PM

Yep!

I was wrong, carry on!
Old 09-10-2020, 06:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 558.93 MB
The roof line height of the locomotives should be 14' 1/2", compared with a roof line height of (as you correctly noted) of 13' 6" for the sleeper. That's a 6-inch difference, which works out to a 1/8" (3.175mm) difference in 1/48; the difference between that and what it comes out to in 1/50 should be minimal.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckychestney View Post
I believe the Santa Fe standard with F-7's was to run A-B-B-A consists so as a rule there would be no locomotive to car interface.
https://www.railpictures.net/photo/421597/

Tags
o-scale, papertrade, pinegrove, santa fe, sleeper