PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 09-27-2020, 02:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
good work on the under side stuff

Old 10-02-2020, 03:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Other skirt and more details

Thanks David, indeed it was quite a bit of work on the underside.

A quick update before leaving on a week's vacation. Finished the other side of the model as well, modified the skirt and corrected the Pullman logos (only one instead of two).

A final addition to the end plates. It's hard to explain in English but by looking at the earlier posted actual pictures of Pine Grove/Gorge, it looks like a sort of cover on the structure is missing in the model, which I recreated and installed at the location shown. The rear side has partly been laminated with 0.9 mm thick cardboard to ease installation.

The final picture shows the entire "other" side. I haven't found actual photographs of the skirt on this side, so it's a best guess. Quite acceptable I think.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2470.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2471.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2472.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2474.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_2475.jpg  

Old 10-02-2020, 07:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Perfectly fine, since no one has a photo to prove otherwise.

Excellent work
Old 10-03-2020, 10:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 558.93 MB
Just to add a wrinkle to this discussion of the skirts on the sides...
According to the Santa Fe railroad's historical society, the cars in this series were apparently delivered and put into service without side skirts, so the original version of the model may not have actually been wrong if the intent was to match the as-built version. The skirts were added by Santa Fe shop personnel to some, but not all, of the cars in the series. That's probably one reason finding photos of them is so difficult.

Joshua
Old 10-03-2020, 11:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoldover View Post
Just to add a wrinkle to this discussion of the skirts on the sides...
According to the Santa Fe railroad's historical society, the cars in this series were apparently delivered and put into service without side skirts, so the original version of the model may not have actually been wrong if the intent was to match the as-built version. The skirts were added by Santa Fe shop personnel to some, but not all, of the cars in the series. That's probably one reason finding photos of them is so difficult.

Joshua
Yes, however-

Even without skirts, these cars still had small skirts at the ends of the car, outboard of the trucks:

http://www.qstation.org/atsfpix/ATSFPineDale.jpg

The configuration of skirting in the middle, with nothing outboard of the trucks is incorrect.

Any photos of these cars in regular service missing the outboard skirts are most likely post-Santa Fe service.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Huh.

https://www.kansasmemory.org/item/51185/page/1
Old 10-10-2020, 08:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
Erik spent so much time and effort on the lighting, that this model was first to pop into mind when my wife found this circuit drawing pen. Maybe not for lights like in this model exactly, but tinier lights positioned in front of windows, or even with bundles of fiber optic cables leading to tinier still windows.

https://www.facebook.com/theOriginalCircuitScribe/

I looked through the forum archives for previous posts about the product, but my memory to the contrary, could find none.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Back to the trucks

Back again, and continued with the last parts, corrections and other details I'd like to add to the model.
The end skirts are as per the actual pictures of Pine Grove that I have and the story of the central skirts will never be concluded I guess. Let's say that the individual builder can decide to cut them off during his or her build, or leave them in. I tried to model them as accurate as possible and find it nicer to have them in place.

Continued with the last details at the bottom side, mainly adding some drain (?) pipes from air conditioner and steam heating (I assume) and the buffer blocks on both ends. In order to "mate" the sleeper with either F7A or F7B I had to cut off a small section of the blocks so that they do not protrude too much, in fact flush with the connecting door opening flange. Pardon my poor railway-English . With a bit of artistic freedom I completed the buffer blocks.

Also the trucks were not entirely finished yet. Remember the discussion about the brakes? Cor designed brake shoes, as per the arrangement of the early fifties version of the sleeper, and I finally installed these. A lot of cutting work and besides this, the disc brake arrangement print had to be corrected too. The pictures of the truck included here is the final version. The other one still has to be modified. Also the wheels have been fully glued now in their position.

Brakes and drain pipes are clearly visible, so the work pays off....

Again another step closer to completion!

Erik

PS Aansorge, I didn't really spend that much time on the lighting. It came as an idea during the build and most of the time was spent on how to build in the lights. The choice of a LED light strip is based on a similar application, and kindly elaborated upon by a fellow Dutch modeler who provided me the details.
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_3683.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_3695.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_3696.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_3697.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_3698.jpg  

Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_3699.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_3700.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_3701.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_3702.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_3703.jpg  

Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_3704.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_3705.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_3706.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_3707.jpg  
Old 10-19-2020, 04:08 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
I like the trucks.

And the printed springs work well visually. You don't even relise they are printed when the trucks are mounted.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.53 MB
Voice from the Falklands

Hi Erik

Looks like your usual high quality product buddy, top work.
Tertius Primus Erit
Google Adsense

Tags
o-scale, papertrade, pinegrove, santa fe, sleeper