PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 04-18-2020, 12:39 PM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Angraf Kur 87 Karamoja

Hi Guys,
It's has been a while I have build something serious, but today I started this monster; the 4ft 1:25 Kur 87 Karamoja , the newest locomotive from Angraf.
with all the lasercut parts ..
The last locomotive took me about 6 years to complete, but I think I will do this one a bit quicker, although it has more than 4000 pieces, excluding the rivets
It was a big engine, it still exits in the Nairobi railway museum; KUR means Kenia- Uganda Railroad , It is a Meyer-Garratt 4-8-4+4-8-4 loco, you get two locs for the price of one
With this Corona virus going on I have more time to build
Attached Thumbnails
Angraf Kur 87 Karamoja-img_1889.jpg   Angraf Kur 87 Karamoja-img_1888.jpg   Angraf Kur 87 Karamoja-87_nrm_cy05.jpg  

Last edited by billy.leliveld; 04-18-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 04-18-2020, 01:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
This should be interesting to watch come together.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
i have this in my pile as well should be a good build if there aren't to many answer bugs

Old 04-18-2020, 10:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
This looks interesting. I will keep watch as it develops. Good luck, hope it's not too troublesome.

Greg
Old 04-18-2020, 10:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 542.99 MB
WOW this is going to be a monster build but I will keep up to date on it, always loved Garratts, the SAR class GL was about the same size as the class 58 but I think the tractive effort at the draw bar was a little higher, the SAR loco was on a gauge of 3ft 6in whilst the class 58 is a metre gauge, the EAR as it was known before had the very big class 59 Garratts which had slightly more curved lines to the front and rear tank and bunker.
Good luck
Owen
Google Adsense
Old 04-18-2020, 11:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 542.99 MB
Checking in A E Durrants book "The Garratt Locomotive" the following info may help.
The loco was built by Beyer Peacock (as were most of the Garratts ever built) the KUR running number was 87 and the original EAR no was 5711, it carried the name Karamoja with works No 6974, it was a class EC3 on the KUR and a class 57 on the EAR not 58 as I said in an earlier post, she had a wheel configuration of 4-8-4+4-8-4 and was built in 1940. Weighing in at just over 186 tons in FWO she was a big loco ( not by american standards) and was oil fired.
Owen
Old 04-19-2020, 11:35 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
To add to what Owen said, the loco in question was named after the Karamoja Region in Uganda. The Class EC3/57 were all named after regions in Kenya and Uganda.

The locos were the most powerful and heaviest Garratts used in East Africa, having substantially more power the Mountain Class Garratts, which because of their appearance were often assumed to be the most powerful!
  • These were the first locomotives anywhere in the world built with the 4-8-4+4-8-4 wheel arrangement.
  • The design reflected the skills and ingenuity of Garratt is that the loco, which weighed 186 tons, had to operate at a maximum axleload of less than 12 tons on 50-lb. rail, as well as handle curves as tight as a 275-ft. radius. curve - all on effectively a narrow-gauge railway (3 ft 6 in/1,067 mm) and light rail.
  • Despite the above the loco was designed to enable the power and carrying capacity of a standard-gauge railway. This was achieved.
  • The design was also extremely reliable
Yes, and as Owen says they were big (88 feet or nearly 27 metres long), even more so if you remember that these locos ran on what is regarded as narrow gauge line.

The width was just over 10 feet and I remember in my youth standing in front of them and marvelling at the fact that they never fell over - looking at the loco head-on only a third of the loco stood over the rails - on either side fully one-third of the width of the loco hung out!

By virtue of the fact that two of my friend's fathers were engine drivers on EAR, I often had rides on the footplates of the Mountain Class Garratts on the Nairobi to Mombasa run - but unfortunately never on a Class 57 (which were primarily at the time used on the freight runs up-country.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
That's a big build and a great one also.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great start on this MAJOR project, Billy.

A fascinating locomotive. Thanks to you and Kevin for the background information.

Don
Old 05-09-2020, 11:13 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Thanks for the background information Kevin, Owen, me too had an experience driving on the footplate of steamlocomotives, back in the 70-ties in Germany, it probably the reason I'm still interested in modeling one
Here's an update; the chassis of the boiler; The model is very detailed, and it takes a little different approach than normal paper models, I paint the parts, the edges and the lasercutsparts with an acrylic , later on I want it to give the model a weathered look
Attached Thumbnails
Angraf Kur 87 Karamoja-img_1964.jpg   Angraf Kur 87 Karamoja-img_1968.jpg   Angraf Kur 87 Karamoja-img_1966.jpg   Angraf Kur 87 Karamoja-img_1967.jpg  
Google Adsense