PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 01-20-2022, 04:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
Double deck EMU

Hello fellow card modellers,

Since the start of this year I've been working on a long-term ambition to design and build a double-deck EMU car. As with all my builds this is a fantasy/freelance design from an unspecified central/north European country. The plan is that the model will feature full interior, lighting and doors that can be opened as well as a removable side panel to view the interior. Each side will depict a different paint scheme.

Double deck/bilevel trains do not currently exist in the UK due to loading gauge so for me this is somewhat 'exotic'. I've based my design on the Bombardier and Stadler types in use in Germany and Finland, with the doors on the lowest level.

The model was designed in Sketchup and exported to Pepakura. I can go into more detail on the design process if you are interested but it's quite straightforward. I decided to go up from my usual 1:76 OO scale to 1:64 S scale to get better detail. It will just fit on my shelf at the final length!

IMG_20220119_223622.jpg - Google Drive

This is the removable side, halfway through painting. I thought a rich, autumnal colour scheme would look good.

IMG_20220119_223549.jpg - Google Drive
IMG_20220119_223523.jpg - Google Drive

IMG_20220119_223511.jpg - Google Drive
IMG_20220119_223454.jpg - Google Drive

This is the more complete side in a lighter colour scheme (about fifteen layers of white paint!) and with most of the paper decals added. I did some of the 'brick' detail using a stencil but the others are just printed on paper and stuck on. I hope with varnish they won't look too much in relief. The upper level windows are not fixed into place yet in order to varnish first, then add the glass afterwards.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-ux...ew?usp=sharing

And this is the cab front. Amazingly this complex shape is essentially just three pieces. It will be gloss varnished as opposed to the satin for the rest of the model.

Last edited by Siwi; 01-20-2022 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Added links to photo album
Google Adsense
Old 01-22-2022, 11:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 558.93 MB
Impressive! I look forward to seeing how this turns out.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:05 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Very interesting.

That nose is great!
Old 01-29-2022, 11:17 AM

Work has prevented any big leaps forward but I have made some incremental progress this week:

Here are some pictures from a test fit today. I am now pleased with the two paint schemes, one light, one dark. All the 'decals' are now on the light side with a couple more small ones yet to be printed out when the colours are matched for the dark side. Because this side will be removable it's not urgent to finish this part, but I want it to look nice. I have also painted the rear of the car flat black with a little relief for where some cables will be attached. A second former is now in place behind the cab giving a strong structure to the hidden area where the battery and lighting wires will go. Additionally, I made some much better ventilation grilles for this area by scribing thin card and sticking it to a mountboard base. Since these pictures were taken I have also started to add some formers for the nose part- it does fit well against the sides, but currently wants to curve inwards.

I do like the look of the new black paint I have bought this week and will tone down the glossy varnish on the white side with some satin.

Last edited by Siwi; 01-29-2022 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Added additional photos
Old 02-15-2022, 03:37 AM

Not finished much substantial in the last two weeks due to limited time, but I did glaze (made from clear plastic packaging) all the upper deck windows which was quite time-consuming, and make the window on the right side of the driver's cab. This was done by sandwiching thicker clear plastic (from a near-useless face visor we were given at work) between thin card and mount board. The mount board on the inside was then bevelled and sanded until it fitted snugly into the window frame and stays secure, which was a very satisfying moment!

This weekend I also spent some time in Sketchup designing the interior of the cab, starting with the control desk and the driver's seat. With hindsight, I would have done better to export the desk as a simpler shape and add the tiny details by carving from card and mount board, but with a lot of breath control and some cursing I managed to cut, score and glue the three pieces of it together into an acceptably presentable object. Quite a few sins were hidden using my method of using over-thick paint as filler and careful work with a sanding stick to hide the rough edges. The next step will be drawing, printing and attaching tiny screens and panels with buttons. At the least, I've learned what controls trains actually have.

The other part was the driver's seat. I made this more substantial than the passenger seats by widening and thickening the template. The back is thin card and the cloth part is two layers of mountboard, into which trenches are cut to create the corners and a fairly satisfying depiction of the seat and back cushions. Some subtle roughing of the surface was done before painting to suggest moquette fabric. I didn't like my initial paint so went over it with more grey and some detail with a thin marker. It was also a first outing for my homebrew painting handle - a dead marker pen and blu-tack!

Last edited by Siwi; 02-15-2022 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Added images
Google Adsense
Old 02-16-2022, 03:21 AM

Some more pictures. I have an issue where half the pictures I add to a post disappear.

Old 02-25-2022, 11:38 AM

This week I had a lot more time to work on the build!

-Added side destination boxes that cover the two front windows. This is where inside the disabled toilet and the bike racks will go.
- Added the inside window frames to one side of the upper level. Will do the other side when I feel patient...
- A basic slot system was built to hold the removable side section in place

- Attached both upper window side pieces respectively. This makes the model look a good deal more advanced and was needed to get the shape of the formers correct and consistant
- Speaking of which, three internal formers were cut, with openings for the internal doors
- The front stairs were designed, assembled and test fitted (I needed to add another step on either side, but it worked out symmetrical. Not sure where my drawing was wrong...)

Old 02-25-2022, 11:39 AM

Old 02-28-2022, 10:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
The steps are very nicely done.
Great result, Siwi !
Old 03-01-2022, 09:04 AM

Thanks Joon. My initial, and much less sensible idea, was to draw out both the top and the front of each step as individual parts, and try to attach them with flaps getting the angles perfect. Then I realised I'd made the step height exactly the same as two layers of mountboard and paper, so I just cut that 'sandwich' to the correct shape with extra overhang to glue the next step up on to, and it came out much neater. Now they are painted the join is basically invisible. It was then just a bit of sanding to tidy the corners and fit it to the rise in the floor over the bogies. I will use this method for the rear stairs too.
Google Adsense