PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 01-07-2021, 05:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 254.35 MB
1/87 scale sand silos and elevator

I was searching for a simple industrial siding for the covered hoppers on my 1/87 (HO) scale layout and found the silos and elevator in the attached photo. I was originally going to scratch build using styrene but decided to try a paper model instead. I am starting with the shortest of the 3 silos. There is still more work to be done like the hand railings and connecting pipes from the elevator. Because I can’t see what is on top (even with Google Satellite photos), I am guessing there is either an access hatch or an inspection standpipe or both and I am still searching Google images for confirmation. Usually, the reason someone has to climb to the top of the silo is to change air filters in the dust collector. From the photo, I can only see what appears to be a vent or safety relief valve. Also, from the photo, the ladder appears to extend to the ground. Most ladders are 7-8 feet up in the air. Unless, someone forgot to remove extension ladder in which case I will shorten the ladder on my model.
Attached Thumbnails
1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-elevator-silos.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-1-short-silo-parts-4384.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-2-short-silo-subassemblies-4386.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-3-short-silo-without-railings-4387.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-07-2021, 07:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
That looks great!
Old 01-07-2021, 07:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
That's a complex model, and very well done. I hope you will share images of the structure on the layout.

Don
Old 01-07-2021, 08:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Very well done. Great detailing.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 01-08-2021, 08:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.90 GB
The ladder on the short silo gives access to the ladder on the taller silo, which in turn gives access to the head stock of the elevator for maintenance.

Also, the bottom of the "ground" ladder (in some cases) slide up and locks in place. This is to keep children (and other small beings) from climbing the ladder and maybe falling and injuring their-self.
Google Adsense
Old 01-11-2021, 11:26 PM

Thank you for your kind comments. The tallest silo is now completed. I am guessing the silos were installed at various time because no two are alike. The tall silo has a skirt hiding the outlet hopper from view and the legs are different design. Like the short silo, I cannot see what is on top. An internet search revealed than cement silos usually have large vent (dust) filters. If there is vacuum conveying then the feed pipes connect to the vent filter. Otherwise, for pneumatic pressure conveying, the feed pipe connect directly to the top of the silo. In real life, these silos are used to store sand and are filled by gravity from the elevator. Google satellite photos of these silos, however, do not a show anything on the roof except for the pipe from the elevator, at least nothing tall enough to cast a shadow. Nevertheless, I will add a low profile pressure relief valve and inspection hatch. The hand railings and pipe from the elevator will be added later. For scale, i included a photo of the silos along side a covered hopper that I scratch built out of styrene except for the trucks, couplers and air brakes. I'm sorry but I promise to build my next rail car out of paper (except for the trucks and couplers).
Attached Thumbnails
1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-4-tall-silo-parts-4389.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-5-hopper-hidden-behind-skirt-4391.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-6-tall-silo-without-railings-4393.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-silos-scratch-built-covered-hopper.jpg  
Old 01-13-2021, 04:53 PM

The oxide colored skirted silo is done. The photos clearly show a feed pipe suggesting pressure conveying but not much else. So I am going to make some assumptions and guesses: a pressure relief valve, and inspection (access) hatch on the silo top, and a maintenance access door on the skirt and an out feed auger on the side.
Attached Thumbnails
1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-7-skirted-silo-4400.jpg  
Old 01-13-2021, 08:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 43.34 MB
Your project is looking very good. You might be able to find some plans in a Model Railroader past issue that show the top details.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.90 GB
Have a look here. They have some top views of Lime and Dust silos.

Dust Silos & Additive Tanks For Sale - Aggregate Systems

they look very similar to the ones in the photo you are using.
also be aware that old silos are like people... no two are the same.
given when they were built, the laws on how a silo was built,and what
equipment it must have, were different then they are today.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:47 AM

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I followed up on everyone of them. It is amazing how much research can be done on line. I certainly learned a lot. Not enough to actually buy one of these in real life, but enough to know that some parts are not optional. I could not see any explosion (safety) vent on the elevator in the photo and assumed there is one on top, even though the elevator that I am modeling is used for sand. It is just a reminder if I decide to build another bucket elevator for a grain industry that explosion vents are not optional. I am also going to assume there is an above ground drag conveyor to get the sand from the rail gravity dump to the elevator. The sub assemblies for drag conveyor and the bucket elevator are done. Still waiting to be built are the “bag house” or rectangular bin, the piping from the elevator to each of the silo, from the tallest silo to the other shorter silos, and the catwalks between the silos.
Attached Thumbnails
1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-8-elevator-4426.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-9-motor-4433.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-10-platforms-4436.jpg  
Google Adsense