PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 02-25-2021, 12:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 310.52 MB
F-7A&B Canadian National Diesel Locomotives

Namaste!

Greetings from India!

Prabal here! I finally found some time to print off the Canadian National (CN) F-7A and F-7B locomotive which i had repainted for Paper Trade last year. As I was stuck designing my own Indian railways model lineup, I couldn't devote any time to the build. Today, while going through my old projects, I gave in to the temptation, and printed off copies of both the locomotives.
I'm gonna be building only on weekends, so the progress will be slow... And I will first build the A unit, then start with the B unit...

And also, I will be making a stop-motion video of the whole build process side-by-side alongside this build thread. In the end, I'll post the video on YouTube...

If you wish to see more repaints of the F-7 A&B please support me by showing some love to the CN model available on Ecardmodels It was not very popular when it was released....

Regards,
Prabal
Attached Thumbnails
F-7A&B Canadian National Diesel Locomotives-img_20210225_233151.jpg   F-7A&B Canadian National Diesel Locomotives-img_20210225_233851.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-25-2021, 03:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I had no idea there were models of these locos, and at ecards?!
Shows how much I pay attention!

My late Father worked for CN for 30 years...and worked on many of these locos.

This is him (below) only a few years before he died...said he worked on this one (9171).
9171 is parked in St Thomas (Ontario) area now.
Theres a Railway Museum in St Thomas.

I've probably got dozens more photos if I looked for them.
These two just happen to be on the computer.
Attached Thumbnails
F-7A&B Canadian National Diesel Locomotives-dsc03653_1067x1600.jpg   F-7A&B Canadian National Diesel Locomotives-dsc03652_1600x1120.jpg  
Old 02-26-2021, 12:54 AM

@airdave

Sir,
People didn't know about this repaint of the F-7. Since I didn't announce it when it was released. No matter, people will know now, after seeing the build thread...

Wow! I was this close to repainting locomotive number 9171 instead of the 9163! It was a coin toss decision that I chose to do 9163. I would love to see more of his photos
He seems very happy standing there with the locomotive

-Prabal
Old 02-26-2021, 02:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Hi Prabal,
I will be following your build with great interest. In 2019 I did the test-build of the Santa Fe F7A and had quite a bit of (pleasant) discussion with the designer and publisher during the build, resulting in a number of modifications to the design. The build thread is on this site.
I'm quite curious to see how others are finding their way through this magnificent model. From your pictures I can see that some of the parts have been modified based on the improvements I suggested and hopefully they work out well for you. It's not a particular difficult model but some steps are tricky and need to be one time right. No margin for corrections later on.

The F7B is still on my list, just completed the sleeper coach so now it's time to build a different type of model.

Good luck with your build, I don't want to sound too paternalistic but should you have any query during your build, I'll be happy to help you out.

Best regards,
Erik
Old 02-26-2021, 06:21 AM

@ Erik Zwaan

Sir, Your build was the inspiration behind this repaint. Once I saw your build log, I wanted to repaint this locomotive into several different liveries. F7s have always been one of my favorite locomotives!
The only part that intimidates me is the Cab and specifically the cab control levers and desk. They are way too tiny. Never built something that small before!

I coated the model pages in matt varnish today. Matt because it was a freight locomotive and wouldn't have been glossy as such.

I plan to depart from the stock tracks included and am thinking of rescaling and using the tracks available here:
SCHAALBOUW model, Railsection page

Also, Once the A and B units are completed, I plan to put them in an Acrylic Display Case. This is gonna be one of the most challenging projects I have ever done to date.

Regards,
Prabal
Google Adsense