PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 03-03-2021, 07:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Mt. Hood Railroad

Okay, after I'm done with this series of six historic ships, the proposition came up to do the Mt. Hood Railroad, can anyone help Identify the locomotives used and perhaps plans or schematics?, any help would be appreciated as I'm not an expert on identifying specific locomotives.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:27 AM

images

Here are a couple of images of the locomotives in question, what would be a common scale to produce these in?
Attached Thumbnails
Mt. Hood Railroad-maxresdefault.jpg   Mt. Hood Railroad-mhrr_mb_gp9.jpg   Mt. Hood Railroad-mount_hood_railroad_engine_-hood_river_county-_oregon_scenic_images-_-hooda0092a-.jpg  
Old 03-03-2021, 09:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 558.93 MB
Number 02 is a GP38, and number 88 is a rebuilt GP9. Plans for the GP38 should be fairly easy to come by - I have a collection of them that I was using to try to design a model of one myself (although that project is currently on hold). I also know that Diderick den Bakker was planning a possible model (I provided him with copies of what I have, and I'm not sure about the ethics of providing design information to multiple potentially competing designers).

Plans for the rebuilt GP9 are probably going to be harder to find (at least ones that closely match the configuration of #88). GP9's were rebuilt by a large number of railroads and shops, and each one did things somewhat differently. Depending on how close a model you want to make, I would start by looking up the history of the locomotive to determine who did the rebuild, (if I recall correctly, I think in this case it was Southern Pacific, but I'm not positive) then seeing if there's an appropriate historical society to contact for that railroad to see if they might have any information you could use.

As far as scale goes - I've seen anything from 1:220 to 1:24 used for models of North American railroad equipment. Since it's not going to be operational, you don't have to match an existing model railroad scale if you don't want to. I really can't offer any special insight as to what works best, though.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:55 AM

Thank you!, That is very useful information!
Old 03-06-2021, 08:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 558.93 MB
A bit more information (I've been thinking about this over the past few days, and did some digging)...

It looks like the rebuild of what became #88 wasn't that extensive. It started out as a late-model GP9, which is very similar in appearance to a GP18. Plans for the GP18 in 3/16" scale were published in the August 1989 issue of Model Railroader magazine. Note that those plans don't show the red light on the nose - that was a Southern Pacific-specific feature, and the plans are for a generic model. They should help a lot, though.
Google Adsense
Old 03-06-2021, 09:44 AM

Thanks again, I shouldn't have too much of a problem should I choose to do it, this is all very useful information.