PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Looking gorgeous, Jim! This really is going to be a little treasure. Are you sure you want to trust it to a Christmas tree?
Chris
Old 11-30-2009, 12:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
What weight of paper are you using? It is a beauty.
I'm using Canon's matte photo paper and I'm not sure what the weight of it is, I'd say right around what my normal cardstock is. I love the print quality of the paper, but it does handle differently. I don't like spraying before building as I have problems with glue not holding. Aleene's seems to come right off normal cardstock if you catch it quickly, but it makes a mark that stays on this stuff. It also tends to crease and de-laminate more readily than regular card.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
So, Jim, what technique/glue are you using to prevent delamination?

If it were me, I might be tempted to use contact cement.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
Jim, Your edge coloring looks impeccable. May I ask what you are using?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:49 PM

To answer both questions:

It's not like the paper falls apart or anything, it's mainly on corners and very small parts like the 1.5 mm or so discs on the ends of the rods (don't know the technical term) holding them to the cylinders. They fall apart if the rods are touched a bit too hard. I just stick a bit of Aleene's Quick Dry or Tombow Mono Aqua between the layers and stick it back. I'm really vacillating between those two glues. I use them both and I've been leaning towards pushing the Mono Aqua a bit more. I like the quick set up with the Aleene's especially when rolling these tiny little cylinders and have to hold them together until the glue sets. I like the ability to move parts around with the Tombow, but I don't like how it can bubble the paper. I normally use a sharpened bamboo skewer to put my glue on with. I love how you can hold the thing like a pen for really good control and just toss it and start over with a new one for very little expense if the point goes really bad.

I tried everything from watercolors to acrylics to various colored pencils to Prismacolor, Copic and Tombow markers. Acrylics actually work OK and I still use them here and there especially for CA reinforced parts. But, what I've been using 90% of the time and 100% so far on this model are the Faber-Castell Pitt pens. I bought a small assortment of greys a while back at Hobby Lobby and couldn't believe it, they really don't bleed. At all. And they have a great really tiny brush point. I finally broke down and bought the whole assortment in a nice box from Dick Blick along with 100 Excell blades. It's not cheap, but it's really been worth it to me. It speeds up edge coloring (which I don't really enjoy) and keeps it so neat. I haven't run out of a color or destroyed a tip yet, but they are available individually. I really can't say enough good things about them. They are even advertised as light fast India ink.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
Thanks! Tomorrow I'm gonna count my pennies and head over to Hobby Lobby.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:46 AM

Thanks for that, Jim. I'll go to Dick Blick!
Old 12-01-2009, 09:55 AM

DBlick has the studio box set of 48 pens for $80. How does that compare with what you purchased, Jim?
Old 12-01-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
DBlick has the studio box set of 48 pens for $80. How does that compare with what you purchased, Jim?
http://www.dickblick.com/products/faber-castell-pitt-artist-pens/

That's the same thing I got in 48 colors. I had actually bought the 24 color set earlier at Hobby Lobby, but there weren't enough colors. I paid about $80 for the 48 color set if I remember right. I forgot that they come in big brush and non-brush tips as well, but haven't used anything but the regular brushes. The fine tip on those is great for getting into corners.

One thing about these is that the color on the cap is frequently not accurate and on a couple not even close, so I've had to hunt around to get a close color match sometimes.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Get the hence Jim and get some Kittifix glue. I am a convert. You can get it from moduni or GPM. You will be a convert too.