PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 11-17-2009, 12:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon

I'd been looking for Christmas Ornaments and Rick suggested that I scale some models down and use those, which I thought was a good idea!

I went to Canon's site and saw they now have a model of the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway Toy Train. Years ago I worked in a hobby shop and we always had a video going. For some reason a National Geographic special on Indian Railways became our favorite and I've seen this locomotive puffing through the mountains hundreds of times, I had to print it! It's one of my favorites!

I used Canon matte photo paper as I really like how colors print on it. I printed full size which I'll (maybe) build later and then set it at six pages per sheet for the ornament. It looks like it will come out about three inches long this way, I have no idea what scale it is. I'll have to find out what gauge the railway is and then calculate. As I'm building, it's becoming apparent that I'll have to print some out on regular bond paper for thickness issues.

There are 20 pages of parts in this little thing. This is my first Canon model, and I'm really impressed so far. These are some of the best instructions I've seen.

Anyhow, here are pics of the chassis so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-17-09-001.jpg   Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-17-09-002.jpg   Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-17-09-003.jpg   Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-17-09-004.jpg   Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-17-09-005.jpg  

Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-17-09-006.jpg   Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-17-09-007.jpg   Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-17-09-008.jpg   Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-17-09-009.jpg   Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-17-09-010.jpg  

Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-17-09-011.jpg   Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-17-09-012.jpg  
Old 11-17-2009, 12:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Excellent choice! I've always loved the D&H locos and I remember that NatGeo special very well! I've been thinking of doing this one myself eventually, or at least using the kit for patterns for a garden railway model. Please let us know more of your experience with this one. Looks great so far.
Chris
Old 11-17-2009, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
It is a very detailed model. Have fun with it.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:40 PM

This kit would probably make a great garden garden railway locomotive, and it fits the part really well.

It's certainly more detailed than I thought at the start. And shrinking it didn't help, I've now cut out a part that's 0.25 mm wide...

Be careful with the cylinders and make sure you test fit first. I jinxed it after saying nice things about the instructions. It may just be me, but I was led to mixing up parts between the cylinders and had to make a second pair. In the end, it all fits quite nicely though.
Attached Thumbnails
Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-18-09-001.jpg   Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-18-09-002.jpg   Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-18-09-003.jpg   Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-18-09-004.jpg   Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-18-09-005.jpg  

Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-18-09-006.jpg  
Old 11-19-2009, 08:26 AM

Wow, Jim, that's small! Your work is fantastic and I think you're going to have a heck of a magnificent decoration when you're finished! Did you wind up printing the cylinder pieces on lighter stock?
The D&J is a two foot gauge road. Not sure what scale the kit is, looks like maybe around 1:30 at a wild guess? Can't even begin to guess what you've scaled it down to!
Great stuff. I'm really enjoying seeing you work on this one, thanks!
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 11-19-2009, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
Man! I like those little tiny superdetailed trains a lot!

You've taken on quite a job with that one, but if anybody can do it, I have confidence in you. I'm afraid I'm not quite ready for that one yet, but one day perhaps...

Reagarding the scale of the Canon model, the guys over at the German site Kartonmodell-Forum had a fairly long discussion regarding the scale of the model. I think they eventually decided (if my German doesn't fail me) on 1:26, with the understanding that the track gauge is not to scale.

That discussion can be found here http://www.kartonmodell-forum.de/for...?threadid=5903 and it is very interesting to read.

I used the measurements of the original locomotive available here: http://203.176.113.182/DHR/ and compared with actual measurements of the model sheets printed at full size. The full length of the model is not available to me without building it, but the width of the cab seems to be, judging by the pictures, the same as the overall width.

Width of original: 1924 mm
Width of printout of cab: 73mm

This gives a scale of 1:26.3 which agrees nicely with the 1:26 of the Kartonmodell-Forum people.

The track width of the original is 610 mm and the track width of the model is 41mm This gives a scale of 1:14.8 or 1:15 if the track width were to scale. By dividing the actual width of the cab, 1924mm by 15 however, we get 128mm as the width of the model, almost twice the size of the printed cab width of 73mm. So something is off there.

The original track gauge of 610mm/26 gives a scale track gauge of 23.4mm, about half the 41mm of the model. Comparison of the pictures of the finished model with those of the original locomotive does show the model tracks much further apart compared to the model locomotive. So I think that the scale of 1:26 for the Canon model is correct or at least close.

I hope this helps.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:42 PM

Thanks very much for that, Thomas. I'm not sure how much it matters to Jim, but it will be of great help to me when I have to upscale the kit to 1:20.3.
Chris
Old 11-19-2009, 05:23 PM

Very cool! Love train models and this looks like it is going to be quite amazing! Great work!
Old 11-19-2009, 06:47 PM

Thanks for all the info Thomas! My cab is 22mm, so... this is cool! It's HO scale, 1/87th. And I didn't even try

And to answer your question Chris, I'm not using thinner paper for the cylinders. I may have to break down and use it for some of the tubes, but the problem is that the colors on the Canon paper are so intense that the colors on regular paper don't even come close to matching.

If you do end up making a G scale loco out of this, I do hope that you post your progress here. I would be extremely interested!!
Old 11-23-2009, 10:30 PM

I got a few more parts added and more cut out. There are waaay more parts on this than I figured, I'm hoping I can get it finished by Christmas at this rate :D

Then I got the urge to see how it compares to a standard gauge HO loco. It's tiny!

See what happens when your daylight bulb burns out? It's turns the pics all yellow, I've got to pick up a new one!
Attached Thumbnails
Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-23-09-001.jpg   Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-23-09-002.jpg   Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-23-09-003.jpg   Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-23-09-004.jpg   Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train Christmas Ornament - Canon-11-23-09-005.jpg