PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > rch123's projects

Old 11-29-2010, 03:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
WOW that's looking good Steve !!.... you have been busy to finish it so soon. Was it easier than you thought it was going to be to create the model?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:42 AM

Well, I have always been into 3D graphics and I used to use Metasequoia a long time ago, so I already knew how to use that. The thing that was getting me mad was importing models into Pepakura. Every time I put a model in, it would come out with all these red lines all over it. Once I figured out that that was because some weird thing with the vertices and lines, I fixed it and just decided to get the whole darn thing done .

It was easier than I thought, but the real pain is making it in Metasequoia first.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rch123 View Post
Well, I have always been into 3D graphics and I used to use Metasequoia a long time ago, so I already knew how to use that. The thing that was getting me mad was importing models into Pepakura. Every time I put a model in, it would come out with all these red lines all over it. Once I figured out that that was because some weird thing with the vertices and lines, I fixed it and just decided to get the whole darn thing done .

It was easier than I thought, but the real pain is making it in Metasequoia first.

how do you get rid of them lines anyway. i got a citroen traction avant on standby for ages and ages just no matter what i do i end up with a total mess when trying to unfold the lot in pepakura.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:39 AM

If you go into the settings and see the "key" that tells you what the colors mean, you'll see it says "one sided edge". When your making an object in Metasequoia, faces tend to get messed up and lines overlap a bit and sometimes that's the reason. Don't do double sided faces because that will cause lines also.

What I do to fix this is keep Meta open and Pepakura open, open your project up in both. I try something, save, then reopen in Pepakura to see if it fixed.

Find in Meta the line or face that has the problem. If its near an edge, you might want to first see if there aren't actually two vertices where you might just see one. So select the vertices near the offending line (make sure your selecting ONLY the ones you see and not ones behind the model) control+j to put them together. If an error pops up, then there is only one vertice after all. If no error occurs, then two vertices were just joined.

Next I would try deleting the offending line. After you delete it, a face may disappear, but that is ok. Just click the create tool and set it to "face" or "triangle". Create the new face, and make sure it is single sided with the same material you used on the part originally. Sometimes a new face is all that is needed.

And thats pretty much all I did to get all the lines on my model blue. The red lines were making me go nuts

It looks like I have signed on now to do a modeling jump start guide, huh? Maybe sometime in the future...
Old 11-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
WHOOOOOOOOOOOSH

and then it was done - at great speed...... Hope it unfolds well, and you can turn this beauty into a model with the same speed and elegance has your design. Bravo to you
Google Adsense
Old 11-29-2010, 06:14 PM

Well guys, its done. Modeled, unfolded, pdf-ed, instructions drawn up, and zipped. Hopefully its a good kit. mchale is gonna beta build it, and malc is doing a build of the buttstock right now. After I hear the verdict from them either I'll be revamping pieces or adding it to the download section.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
And now we wait patiently.... Said this before, i will say it again, YOU are a COOOOOL DUDE
Old 11-29-2010, 08:06 PM

Thank you Peter
I try

Tags
design, reminginton, rifle, western, winchester