Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Old 10-10-2017, 02:08 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPink65 View Post
Alan Rose's DC-3 is only 1/3 DC-3. It is more a toy type model. No serious aircraft collector or modeler wants this type of slashed model to be placed anywher, too big and rather awkward. Geli's DC-3 or Flymodel are really very nice indeed. But naturally we still live in a free country and there are people for everything in life.
Actually, Rick, or should I say Eduardo/Edubarca, as a model builder, I want this model hanging in my man cave, especially the Orange painted KLM version.

The kit might not be to your liking, and that is ok, there have been many other people who have bought the original kits(I have two copies) and have built the digital resto mod files.

The kits you mention are both 1:33, and they are great kits, but keep in mind, and read the entire thread, the original designer, Alan Rose and Ruben, have collaborated on this kit to bring it to the paper modeling masses, as a thank you for the support we as modelers have shown Alan over the past 30-35 years, and reverence we have for his models.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo

Last edited by rickstef; 10-10-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.69 GB
Big thanks, Ruben.
Awesome repaint.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
herky, the pdf pages are A3 size.
You can print at 68% to fit on A4 size or 65% to fit on US Ltr size.
thanks again.now to find a spare wall
Old 10-10-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Phew - that takes the pressure off me! Hadn't forgotten your request Herky.

I have been working on Rhodesian Airforce and South African Air Force camo versions - both pretty generic in terms of camo.

But, I lost the files, then found them and now am in a situation where I do not have a private machine to host my editing software on. So everything ground to a halt.

Pity, as I reckon I was 80% done on both versions. Was at the stage of checking the matching of the camo patterns on ajoining parts.

One day!
yup well i got my wish.will always do another version if you get to it
Google Adsense
Old 10-10-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Actually, Rick, or should I say Eduardo/Edubarca, as a model builder, I want this model hanging in my man cave, especially the Orange painted KLM version.

The kit might not be to your liking, and that is ok, there have been many other people who have bought the original kits(I have two copies) and have built the digital resto mod files.

The kits you mention are both 1:33, and they are great kits, but keep in mind, and read the entire thread, the original designer, Alan Rose and Ruben, have collaborated on this kit to bring it to the paper modeling masses, as a thank you for the support we as modelers have shown Alan over the past 30-35 years, and reverence we have for his models.

Rick
im with you on this.there are two types of models out there and i build both.the impressive representation models such as this for effect and the flymodel type for rivet counters.each to there own eh.lets not distract from the skills of alan for designing this model and also his generosity in making it freely availible to all
Old 10-10-2017, 04:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Alan Rose's DC-3 is only 1/3 DC-3. It is more a toy type model. No serious aircraft collector or modeler wants this type of slashed model to be placed anywher, too big and rather awkward. Geli's DC-3 or Flymodel are really very nice indeed. But naturally we still live in a free country and there are people for everything in life.
Actually, you are wrong on several accounts.

* The kit is not 1/3. It is cut at almost exactly the half.

Red: where the Alan Rose kit is cut.
Green: where the exact half of the plane is.

* Several serious modellers and collectors, who have actually built and shown their skills here in the past with some memorable builds, have built this Alan Rose kit. Maybe you find this Alan Rose substandard to even bother downloading it, much less building it. As you surely must have found many kits not worth enough of building, since you have not shared even one of your (I believe) wonderful models with your great "serious modeler" skills.

* The Geli kit was nice when released... back in a time when the only other alternative of a DC-3 / Li-2 was the not so good Maly Modelarz kit. But the Geli is very far from being a good representation of a DC-3. And it is more "toy-like" than other modern kits. Actually, some of the Geli kits (not all, but certainly their DC-3) are to paper what Aurora kits were to plastic: simple curbside representations of the real subject, usually with significant mistakes, and more oriented to people who could not afford more expensive brands, or to kids who could not build more difficult kits. Some other Gelis are much better representing their subject. The recent SR-71 is awesome, a must buy for a real modeller. But certainly the Geli DC-3 can not be compared on equal terms with the FlyModel. They are beasts of a different kind and separated for several decades.

I only agree with you on the FlyModel. That is really a very good kit at 1/33 with a very good development of parts and very accurate proportions. More accurate than the Geli. But that's a late C-47, not a DC-3. Still, the FlyModel has some small mistakes only hardcore DC-3 fans would notice.

But sure, this is a free world (so far), and everyone is entitled to their opinion. And each is equally acceptable. Some people may think waterline kits of ships are an abomination and ships should be built full hull. But it so happens that some people also like to build waterline and are perfectly happy with that. But those are just opinions. And should be respected equally.

You have your thoughts, I have mine. You have your kits, and I have mine. And we're all happy.

But surely when you write so much incorrect facts it is necessary to correct them. Specially when I know the facts firsthand.

Kind regards,
Attached Thumbnails
The Alan Rose DC-3-untitled-1.jpg  

Old 10-10-2017, 04:46 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Quote:
No serious aircraft collector or modeler wants this type of slashed model to be placed anywher, too big and rather awkward.
That's a little harsh. I've seen examples of Alan's DC-3 on the walls of several airport FBOs, where it offers an impressive and respectful reminder of one of the most important advances in aviation history. In my humble opinion, Alan's DC-3, never intended as high-fidelity, is a worthy addition to any collection of aviation memorabilia.

I've built Ruben's recolor for my wall and I'm building another to for local VFW.
--David
Old 10-10-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakrison View Post
That's a little harsh. I've seen examples of Alan's DC-3 on the walls of several airport FBOs, where it offers an impressive and respectful reminder of one of the most important advances in aviation history. In my humble opinion, Alan's DC-3, never intended as high-fidelity, is a worthy addition to any collection of aviation memorabilia.

I've built Ruben's recolor for my wall and I'm building another to for local VFW.
--David
if there was a god he would do a herkybird in this style
Old 10-10-2017, 08:08 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 136.87 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post

Rick
I have to agree with you. It is a matter of tastes. Why Mr. Rose did not design the full model, I don't know. I just wanted to express my opinion on this model as many other modelers do here in this forum.

Greetings from sunshine state.
Google Adsense