PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Recolors

Old 02-28-2014, 08:56 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
For all the designers doing work out there, what is wrong with paying for a kit already done in some of those schemes?

We have to support those doing this work. Not everything can be free.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texman View Post
For all the designers doing work out there, what is wrong with paying for a kit already done in some of those schemes?

Hear, hear!

I know that Dave Winfield has many models, including several Tuskegee Airmen planes, available at ecardmodels.com. If you bother to read any of his design and development posts, you will see that the time and effort he puts into his models is no trivial amount. (Note: In no way do I mean to trivialize the talents, efforts, or models of any other artist. Dave simply is the first one who came to mind when I started reading this thread).

Compared to the time and effort put into creating a model, the model prices at ecardmodels are trivial. I easily spend more on lunch than what most of these models cost, more if I actually go somewhere nicer than fast-food (note to self: start eating better!).

In a prior life, I did freelance graphics work on the side. There was always somebody wanting me do just "do them a favor" or "cut them a break". "You use a computer, it won't take you very long" was a common refrain. Never mind the fact that said computer, as well as the software I used, wasn't inexpensive. Never mind that while anyone can own a computer and software, actually knowing how to use them is another matter entirely.

I am not attempting to speak for Dave (or any others), the following opinion is my own: Asking for recolors of free models, when excellent versions of the same (or similar) models are already available, is a slap in the face to the designers.

Okay, end of rant. I've got a busy day tomorrow...
Old 02-28-2014, 10:31 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 594.81 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoti View Post
Hear, hear!

I know that Dave Winfield has many models, including several Tuskegee Airmen planes, available at ecardmodels.com. If you bother to read any of his design and development posts, you will see that the time and effort he puts into his models is no trivial amount. (Note: In no way do I mean to trivialize the talents, efforts, or models of any other artist. Dave simply is the first one who came to mind when I started reading this thread).

Compared to the time and effort put into creating a model, the model prices at ecardmodels are trivial. I easily spend more on lunch than what most of these models cost, more if I actually go somewhere nicer than fast-food (note to self: start eating better!).

In a prior life, I did freelance graphics work on the side. There was always somebody wanting me do just "do them a favor" or "cut them a break". "You use a computer, it won't take you very long" was a common refrain. Never mind the fact that said computer, as well as the software I used, wasn't inexpensive. Never mind that while anyone can own a computer and software, actually knowing how to use them is another matter entirely.

I am not attempting to speak for Dave (or any others), the following opinion is my own: Asking for recolors of free models, when excellent versions of the same (or similar) models are already available, is a slap in the face to the designers.

Okay, end of rant. I've got a busy day tomorrow...

....Gee.... Now I feel bad.... Have you given any thought that maybe my skills aren't there to build those models yet or that maybe I might not of even known they existed. Anyway I am sorry Tex, Sgoti, Dave and all other designers if I offended your work :( I didn't mean to when I made this thread. I was just seeing if anyway would want to recolor the Paper-replika.com Mustang.

-RunwayOneSixRight (Matthew)

Last edited by RunwayOneSixRight; 02-28-2014 at 11:17 PM. Reason: More ideas....
Old 03-01-2014, 12:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texman View Post

Don't worry, I plan on buying and building Dave's Creamer's Dream, too.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoti View Post
Asking for recolors of free models, when excellent versions of the same (or similar) models are already available, is a slap in the face to the designers.
Maybe it's because I'm not a designer (yet, if ever), but I can't see it that way - asking someone else to recolor it for me, then, maybe... but asking if I can do a recolor of my own is a totally different thing. First off, it gives me experience in executing a recolor, something I'm only just beginning to experiment with. Secondly, maybe it's just me, but because I also plan on buying Dave's Creamer's Dream, building this free one is nothing more than an exploration of the multiple ways that different designers solve the same problem of modelling a specific subject.
Google Adsense
Old 03-01-2014, 04:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 326.45 MB
All the Mustang models out there are good and I plan to build more of them and I find nothing wrong with paying for the models....But the reason I'm going to attempt this repaint is because it gives me experience and it's something to try out...Also I wouldn't repaint the Mustang into colors that are already available because that's just unfair to the designer, who has spent time designing the model...
Hope this explains everything!!! Also if people don't think repainting it isn't a good idea, I wont do it!!!
@Matt: Yeah, Big Beautiful Doll is at the top of the list...
NH78
Old 03-01-2014, 04:51 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 594.81 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk78 View Post
Also I wouldn't repaint the Mustang into colors that are already available because that's just unfair to the designer, who has spent time designing the model...
NH78
I agree with you Nighthawk78.

-RunwayOneSixRight (Matthew)
Old 03-01-2014, 07:28 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
My apologies. It was never my intention to make anyone feel bad, nor start the small firestorm that popped up.
Doing repaints of free kits is great. It is a great way for the inexperienced repainter to gain the experience
with their software, which is a bonus, and they in turn become an asset to the paper model community.

My concern was that there were some of the repaints being asked for (not just Mustangs, but others as well)
that are available as pay kits. I see that was addressed, so it is now a non issue.

There are a gazillion billion (technical term) Mustang schemes that have never been modeled before.
Hope to see some of the works in future.

Please let this part of the thread discussion end here and continue with the new schemes discussions.
You never know who may develop their skills far enough to start selling repaints (not of free kits of course!).

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 326.45 MB
That's alright, I'll continue with the repaint
NH78
Old 03-01-2014, 12:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.68 GB
Here are some Mustangs that have not been modeled before.
Attached Thumbnails
Paper-replika P51D?-binnenp-51-photofile.jpg  
Google Adsense