PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Recolors

Old 08-26-2015, 12:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Recolour help (Inkscape)

Hello,

I want to do some advanced recolouring, but I don't know how to paint under panel lines. Can anyone help?
Old 08-26-2015, 12:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.56 GB
I do it using layers. See here for the basics : http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MAN...ml/Layers.html

The first thing I do when I open a Bruno pdf in Inkscape is renaming the default layer to model and then sending tabs, colours and markings to their own layer so moving/modifying the colors won't affect the panel lines or tabs.

1) ungroup everyting
2) rename default layer to "model"
3) create new layer "tabs" under "model and move all tabs to it. Then lock "model" layer and move everything on layer "tabs" to verify you get all tabs. If OK, hit ctrl z to send everything to its original place, group them all, lock "tabs" and unlock "model"
4) create new layer "colours" under "model and move all colour patches to it. Then lock "model" layer and move everything on layer "tabs" to verify you get all tabs. If OK, hit ctrl z to send everything to its original place, group them all, lock "colours" and unlock "model". At this point you may discover some red dotted lines. I send them to the "tabs" layer.

You can do a single layer for colours and markings but I making them separate. In the end I have 4 layers, from top to bottom : model, markings, colours, tabs. When I'm doing a recolor, model and tabs are locked while I work on markings and colours.

Some colour patches may be better staying on the model layer, unless you're ready to make some panel line editing.

I may continue this during lunchbreak.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:23 AM

Step 4 is a c/p accident. It should read like this:

4) create new layer "colours" under "model and move all colour patches to it. Then lock "model" layer and move everything on layer "colours" to verify you get all colours. If OK, hit ctrl z to send everything to its original place, group them all, lock "colours" and unlock "model". At this point you may discover some red dotted lines. I send them to the "tabs" layer.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 883.09 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by N96HBK View Post
Hello,

I want to do some advanced recolouring, but I don't know how to paint under panel lines. Can anyone help?
What model are you trying to recolor?
Old 08-26-2015, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croden View Post
What model are you trying to recolor?
I'm doing Murphyaa's 737, and trying to do an old Asiana 777-200 myself. (Just wanted to practice, but of course, I need to completely understand the basics.)
Old 08-26-2015, 05:18 AM

I still think you could use layers if the model is already clean (no colours apart the ones that never change (ie windows/canopy and exhausts). That way you could keep the model in layer 1 (locked) and do all your (re)coloring in a second layer that sits under the first one. It implies that the shapes on the model layer don't already have a filling color or are in a color you don't want to change. If they already have a filling, you can duplicate them, move the copy to the coloring layer and remove the filling in the example present on the model layer.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafe View Post
I still think you could use layers if the model is already clean (no colours apart the ones that never change (ie windows/canopy and exhausts). That way you could keep the model in layer 1 (locked) and do all your (re)coloring in a second layer that sits under the first one. It implies that the shapes on the model layer don't already have a filling color or are in a color you don't want to change. If they already have a filling, you can duplicate them, move the copy to the coloring layer and remove the filling in the example present on the model layer.
I didn't say that I just started a few hours, didn't I? I think layers help a lot, thanks for telling me.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:49 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Layers are you friend...........just be sure to label them so you can understand what is in the layer...........Layer 1, 2, 3....etc is not very helpful when you are wanting to say.......change the colors of all the panel lines.

My Drawings
Old 08-26-2015, 04:46 PM

Ok, I'll try again. Thanks for the help.