PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Recolors

Old 11-26-2018, 07:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Infunte:
Thanks so much for doing the figures, I have been looking for more figures I prefer to print them on 11x17 inch cardstock as it gives a 6 inch tall figure rather than 90mm figure. I used to paint 54mm figures in high school.
Thanks,
Miles
Old 11-26-2018, 07:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 414.21 MB
Thanks, glad to hear you and Papermate appreciate them!

I need to upload some slight improvements and corrections to the files which I'll do now. Are you interested in the French Marine I recolored from Zio's Fusilier?

I also made a start on some able seamen using the Hoplite and Zulu warrior torsos, any interest in those?

As to Papermate's suggestion about modern ceremonial French troops, finding modern guns for them would be easier (still undecided).

Last edited by lfuente; 11-26-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:28 AM

Looks like I'm on a roll!

Since my British Light Infantryman was so modular I spun off a quick recolor. Unfortunately it's not the Greencoats of the 95th Light Infantry of Sharpe's Rifles (was a fan of the TV series while studying at Manchester). A better match with less work was the King's German Legion 1st Battalion of Light Infantry, but only 4 variants this time.

I didn't need to add more French soldiers, but the French Marine Infantry trooper was a very quick cut and paste of knee breeches and Napoleon's hat onto the Fusilier. My references showed blurry heart shaped regimental emblems on the coat tails, but I finally figured out they were probably crossed anchors so I put in the closest text symbols I could find.

Miles and Papermate, enjoy!

Another oops, the text says regiment, KGL light infantry only had battalions - will fix that when I can.

As usual, these will be available after moderator approval.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.26 GB
Thank you very much for the new figures. The only trouble I have looking at them is figuring out how some of the details should go together, a completed figure would be helpful. I do not mean to complain, but I am slow of mind. How should the hats be assembled? Thank you for giving different rank symbols.

Seeing the navy and British soldiers in 1814 uniform makes me think of the US, British war of 1812. And an old song about the battle of New Orleans.

"In 1814 we took a little trip with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Missip"

Bob Neill
Old 11-27-2018, 11:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.69 GB
Big thanks Ifuente for these pretty and unusual figures.
Google Adsense
Old 11-27-2018, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the appreciation guys, but I think I'll take a break from figures for now. The French still outnumber the enemy, but maybe someone else can help with that.

You bring up a good point Bob, I've forgotten it's not just the hardcore builders like Papermate and Miles out there. Zio's original files did have pictures of completed models embedded - the blank areas are where I erased them, for 2 reasons:
1) the graphic files would be a more reasonable size
2) the pictures wouldn't be accurate references anyway after my recolor

If you haven't yet, use this link to find the rest of Zio's original soldiers:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150219.../fok-sold.html

I haven't found instructions for the Napoleonic soldiers, but there are instructions for his Medieval soldiers which use the same modular design:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150111...ok-soldaz.html

As for my original hats, the stovepipe Shako is just a tubular body, bend the top tabs, glue the top circle, fold the brim double then curve it to fit the body. The bicorne is a bit harder, halve the oval lengthwise and cover the edge on the unprinted side of the brim, glue the lower edges of of the body to the diamond base, and form a half cone shape from bottom to top as you close the brim (or leave a small gap). Let me know if it's unworkable as I have another design where the brim is part of the diamond base but split in half crosswise, where it needs to be joined.

My online source says that the 52nd regimental honors include Quebec in 1759 so I assume they fought in the American campaign, but not necessarily in this uniform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob neill View Post
Thank you very much for the new figures. The only trouble I have looking at them is figuring out how some of the details should go together, a completed figure would be helpful. I do not mean to complain, but I am slow of mind. How should the hats be assembled? Thank you for giving different rank symbols.

Seeing the navy and British soldiers in 1814 uniform makes me think of the US, British war of 1812. And an old song about the battle of New Orleans.

"In 1814 we took a little trip with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Missip"

Bob Neill

Last edited by lfuente; 11-27-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:02 PM

Back to Philippine subjects, this time it's the DeHavilland DHC-2 Beaver floatplane of the Philippine Navy circa 1950s.

I found the new recolor on Paper-Replika.com as I was finishing up recoloring Zio's Napoleonic figures so this became my next project. I have Gerard Methorst's, Heinz Vogrin's, Julius Perdana's and DGA's Xmas Beaver freebies, but they all looked too hard to decolor. When Jonathan Norman's mostly white recolor appeared I figured it was time.

So here is #1516 of the Navy in the minimalist 1950s overall gray scheme, with the following changes from Julius' original:
1) changed the 2 rear windows to 1 round porthole
2) added skylight windows as seen on L20A military versions
3) added correct Hamilton Standard 2-blader (102" diameter paddles, use the polished metal spinner)

The NAVY title atop the starboard wing is conjectural, and again no sign of wing roundels in my reference photos. From what I've read the Philippine Navy didn't have much luck with their 3 Beaver floatplanes and lost all in crashes, casualties included the Naval Air Group commanding officer.

As usual, this will be available after moderator approval.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:12 AM

Today's first upload is a recolor of the 1:100 scale VAZ 2102 combi from designer FDS at Minimodel.cz into the 1963 Vauxhall Victor FB Estate - pretty uncommon as paper models go.

It's very special to me as it was our first family car. My Dad, who passed away from Alzheimer's disease in 2015, bought it used in Batangas and took it with us when we moved to Cotabato. It served us well, even taking out a fire truck which crashed into my eldest cousin while she practiced driving. It ended its days as a derelict at the neighborhood repair shop, as part supplies dried up in the late 1970s after Yutivo stopped assembling Vauxhalls.

I finished this months ago then sent the early version with fake license plates to FDS at minimodels.sk, but haven't heard back from him. Recently I went over old photo albums hoping to find clear pictures of the car, and was only partially successful - I'm about 50% sure about the earlier Batangas plate, but 90% sure about the later Cotabato plate. The weird thing is sometimes the plates get switched around in the photos, because its color was white before the move and crash, then dark blue after.

It'd be nice to see other people's build photos, I might do a recolor request for the first photo poster on this thread!
Old 12-15-2018, 01:40 AM

Today's second upload is my first original paper model! It's the Australian-designed VW Type 197 Country Buggy, assembled in the Philippines as the DMG Sakbayan.

Australian production from 1967 to 1969 totaled 1,956 units, with 400 CKD units shipped to the Philippines. Philippine production lasted from 1969 to 1980 with 3 distinct variants (my model is the Australian variant but with doors and windows), but records were lost in a fire. My estimate is around 15,000 based on the following: 3 major models (Beetle, Van and Sakbayan), 6,100 units peak annual production in 1970, more than 47,000 total registered VWs in 1977. It sold relatively well and was popular with company fleets like PLDT and PNB, as well government agencies and police forces (one such official vehicle was assigned to my mom). This is clearly apparent in Black Mama White Mama, a sexploitation/blaxploitation movie featuring the young Pam Grier filmed in the Philippines - in fact, the white police car and the orange private car in the file are featured in the movie, and use the real plates of the movie cars (the other 2 have plausible period correct plates).

It's about 90% original, since I essentially traced a 3-view for the sides and used a roof light from Minimodel.cz. Still, the way it's put together is all mine - excluding the tubular bumpers and layering parts, it's just a body and roof. And I did a lot of video research for pictures (that's right, I YouTubed Black Mama White Mama for research) since there's an inexplicable lack of online photos for the ubiquitous PLDT Sakbayan - so Marvin and others, if you spot errors let me know.

And there's a bonus option in addition to the 4 supplied - if you leave off the orange car's roof, fold the windshield forward then add the rear cargo shelf and seats from the police cars it's an open buggy! Swap the license plates for more variety.

Last edited by lfuente; 12-15-2018 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:42 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Files have been approved
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense