PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Recolors

Old 12-16-2018, 05:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 401.65 MB
Thanks Rick!

Some notes for the Beaver:
Another change from Julius' original was that I erased the exhaust pipe on the starboard fuselage, as my photos showed a separate pipe along the bottom that I didn't recreate.

The cowl air scoop goes between the 10:00 and 11:00 positions as seen from the front.

History notes
c/n 1435
delivered 12/1960, crashed 19/11/1964 Nasugbu, Batangas

c/n 1436
delivered 12/1960, crashed 18/11/1961 Balabac Bay, Palawan

c/n 1516
delivered 12/1960, crashed 30/01/1973 Lamao, Bataan
KIA Commodore Rudiano Brown
Old 12-17-2018, 04:58 AM

Finally got around to correcting the 1:68 scale issue for the VW Police cars, but found other errors with the front bumpers. Not a huge deal, but apologies to all downloaders as I replaced the old file with 2 new ones.

I took the opportunity to add more recolors and improve the existing ones. I had really wanted to add a recolor of Mr. Geibel's pre-1958 Beetle but Philippine assembly started in 1959. Still, I noticed that the Beetles from the Takumi website were already in red and blue, which works for the new recolors. So the first file contains Police cars from Quezon City, Marikina, Las Pinas and (white) Pasay City. The second file contains Police cars from (red) Pasay City and (blue) Cavite City - the latter (with real license plates) was featured in the movie Sangley Point Robbery based on a true incident at an American military base in the Philippines.

Still have something else planned for my Christmas release - possibly something else to celebrate Miss Philippines becoming the 2018 Miss Universe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfuente View Post
I honestly tried to find the original source of this VW Beetle for proper attribution, but even the previous recolorers admit ignorance (help anyone?).

For the record it has appeared in cyan, Emma Swan yellow, Inspector Gadget red white and blue, Brazilian Police black and white, Kansas University Ecohawk red yellow and blue, green and black, and the ever popular #53 racer Herbie in white. I just picked the cleanest, highest resolution image and went from there.

Maybe it's the cop car hangover from the Eureka Jeep, but here are 4 liveries for Philippine Police VW Beetles for these cities: Marikina and Las Pinas in white, Pasay City in red then Quezon City in black, only the last has no roof light. I've supplied period correct 1965-1967 'towel rail' bumpers and government license plates. The red version has real plates while the others have plausible ones, as determined from period photos.

As usual, these will be available pending moderator approval.

Last edited by lfuente; 12-17-2018 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:15 AM

Happy Holidays everyone! I'm uploading my Christmas recolor today so the moderators have enough time to approve it before the holiday break begins.

This is a recolor of Zio's (naked) Greek Hoplite into a Japanese Ashigaru spearman near the end of the Sengoku period. He is pretty generic since all daimyo armies had light infantry spearmen that were cheap to train and equip. The sashimono banner attached at the back of the waist identifies him as a soldier of Takayama Shigetomo around the time of the Battle of Yamazaki in 1582.

Born in 1552, Takayama was a well-known Christian daimyo who was vassal to the Matsunaga, Wada (1568), Araki (1573), then Oda (1578) clan. After Oda Nobunaga's forced suicide in 1582 Takayama commanded troops under Toyotomi Hideyoshi at the battles of Yamazaki (1582) and Shizugatake (1583), and the invasions of Shikoku (1584) and Kyushu (1587). He was stripped of his commands and domains by 1588 and sought the protection of Maeda Toshiie when his liege Toyotomi began persecuting Christians until his death in 1598.

Takayama did not fight in the pivotal battle of Sekigahara in 1600, but remained in Japan until Toyotomi's successor Tokugawa Ieyasu finally banned Christianity in 1614. Takayama chose exile in the Philippines, and died in Manila a month after arriving (on my birthdate).

Dom Justo Ukon-dono as he was known in Manila was beatified by the Catholic church in February 2017, one step away from sainthood.

A few comments about the model:
What really inspired this recolor was Niku Mansei's generic red and black samurai armor papercraft for 1:12 action figures - let me know if the armor needs more scaling down.
I've seen illustrations of Ashigaru shirtless under their light armor, and this makes sense as the battle of Yamazaki was in summer, July 1582.
There's an alternate triple sashimono used by Takayama which might be more correct for battles until Shizugatake.
The 'shorts' are supposed to be loose, not skin-tight.
If the conical hat is used, the top head piece is optional. Add a rectangle of thin paper that attaches under the hat to shade the nape.
I increased the saturation to make the figure browner, but can't do anything about his facial features - maybe he's half-white?

As usual, this will be available after moderator approval. I know it's a stretch, but at least there's some Christian, Philippine and personal stuff related to this recolor!

Last edited by lfuente; 12-20-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Inufente:
I might have misspelled your name, Sorry, Find attached a Photo I took of a painting in the collection of the Albright Knox Art Museum in Buffalo. I believe that it is French 2nd Regt. Dragoons of the Napoleonic period. Is there one of Zio's models that could be modified to match? For some reason the more I see the painting the more I would like to make the model with horse I would like to print it 11x17 to get a 1/12 scale figure. I could email you a better image than the thumbnail
Thanks
Miles
Attached Thumbnails
test builders for recolors-albright-knox-art-museum.jpg  
Old 12-21-2018, 06:05 AM

Just call me Enzo, Miles. I've had a look through my go-to website:
Les Uniformes pendant la campagne des Cent Jours - Belgique 1815

It looks doable, but there are little details like the horizontal pocket on the coattails that I can't really fix seamlessly. Tell you what, why don't you look around that website above for a close match with Zio's figures, then let me know - maybe you can help Papermate with identification, he's asked if I can recolor one like the ceremonial French Republican Guard.

I've also just uploaded a new file with additional options for more variations of the Ashigaru. I've added red and brown armor, red, brown and black helmets, another head, and sashimonos for the Akechi, Ii, Maeda, and Oda clans (which Takayama dealt with as allies or enemies at various times). Options are 2 heads, bow/spear, black/brown armor, hat/helmet, giving 16 options per clan for a total of 64 for Akechi, Maeda, Oda and Takayama clans. Red armor was almost exclusively used by the Ii clan's Red Devils so bow/spear options add up to a grand total of 66 permutations, since armor color usually matched (but black hats go with almost everything).

I said in my last post that Samurai modelers had a case of too many chiefs but not enough injuns, so I think this new file will fix that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Linnabery View Post
Dear Inufente:
I might have misspelled your name, Sorry, Find attached a Photo I took of a painting in the collection of the Albright Knox Art Museum in Buffalo. I believe that it is French 2nd Regt. Dragoons of the Napoleonic period. Is there one of Zio's models that could be modified to match? For some reason the more I see the painting the more I would like to make the model with horse I would like to print it 11x17 to get a 1/12 scale figure. I could email you a better image than the thumbnail
Thanks
Miles

Last edited by lfuente; 12-21-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 12-31-2018, 12:46 AM

Happy New Year, everyone!

As promised, here are 2 new recolors of my VW Type 197:

1) Optional ladders for the PLDT Sakbayan, since they almost always had them on the roof. Can be built as one long extension ladder, an A-frame stepladder, or two shorter ladders (folded over).

2) My mom's service vehicle, to the best of her recollection - plausible 1990s government plates, doors without windows (probably added after acquisition).

3) A Sakbayan from the DMG London-Manila cross-continental run from June to August 1970. Two groups set out from London then parted ways in Paris going West and East. This East group car (Silangan) traveled through Turkey, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Singapore and then Manila covering 33,000km in 79 days. Their worst mishap was just a flat tire!

There are a few pictures of the Turkey-Pakistan leg, and 3 of the 5 have dromedaries in them (Peramodel anyone?) - the color and markings are my best guess, but I'm 90% sure of the license plate. The message boards on the roof rack face right and left, and there's a spare tire to go in it - pick your own method of adding thickness.

And those oval German export plates? They don't go on either car, but on a related future recolor - stay tuned!
Old 01-28-2019, 09:45 PM

Just a quick update - my brother found a better photo of our Vauxhall Victor FB with the whole license plate visible, so I've corrected the file (plus a small color correction). This replaces the old file in our downloads area.

Last edited by lfuente; 01-28-2019 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:14 AM

Upload 245-250

Thought I'd get these uploaded before February ends - these 6 uploads bring my total tally of distinct recolors to 250.

First up are recolors inspired by Rubenandres' discussion of Fokker Dr.1 models, specifically from Winky and Shaungamer in 1:100. Turns out I had downloaded that in RAR and didn't get to it until discovering I could UnRAR online. These are recolors of Voss' F.1 prototype and the Dr.1s flown by L. von Richtofen, Baumer and von Tutschek, to complement the subjects in the original file.

Next are recolors inspired by Verminking's rework of Hans Geibel's 1958 VW Beetle, into the 1943 KdF Wagen Type 82E staff car. The winter whitewash version is my interpretation of 'painted with a floormop'. The small diamond-shaped pieces are the 'pope's nose' housing that goes on the engine door, above the rear license plate.

Markings were based on decal reference pictures found online.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:23 AM

For some time I was uncertain whether I would do today's upload, Pablo's (wireandpaper) Short 360 - it kind of falls in the gray area of having served in the Philippines, but not registered locally (the 3 aircraft shown were leased from the UK, Ireland and Bermuda). Still it was an easy recolor so that won out, plus it was the ride that got away.

Long ago one of my office trips got cancelled at the last moment, and I never got another chance to fly on the 'Sunriser' before it went out of service. From what I've read PAL's post-1986 white livery debuted on this aircraft type, and I found pictures of at least 5 aircraft online.

Other than rearranging parts to maximize the scale, I added more correct 6-blade propellers, very simple landing gear and some detail parts. Seen from the front, the cone shaped exhaust goes up and out about 2:00 on the right nacelle ahead of the wing while the tube shaped exhaust angles back about 9:00 on the left nacelle. The half-cone scoops go on 5:00 of the right nacelle and 7:00 on the left nacelle. level with the front edge of the wing. The blade aerial works better if folded printed side in, and goes on the rear fuselage ahead of the fin.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:14 AM

Bruno's AN-2 recolors

After Bruno V uploaded his uncolored his AN-2, I started looking for subjects others would be unlikely to pick. Since I found the relevant 'Winds of War' miniseries episode I mentioned previously on YouTube it was just a matter of fast forwarding, then grabbing enough screencaps.

The AN-2's appearance is described in IMDB as an anachronism but I think the producers made an effort to evoke the biplane airliners of the 1930s. Surprisingly LOT also flew Lockheed Electras from the same era, but the SP-ABA registry code was for a Fokker VIII trimotor. I can't guarantee the stripes line up, and I'm not sure about some parts so they may be colored wrong.

The other recolor is a Viet Nam Air Services Co. (VASCO) which is probably the most likely to be seen, if at all, near the Philippines. Same builder caveat above applies.

If I ever had the money I might be interested in a good used one for a weekly commuter flight between Cebu and my hometown.

Google Adsense