PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Recolors

Old 03-31-2019, 05:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 414.21 MB
More VWs

In spite of my 3 (4 counting the Taunus FK kitbash) VW derived recolors I can't really say I'm a VW enthusiast. But after binge watching on Netflix there's lots of potential recolors, like the 1971 blue Dharma van from the "Lost" TV series (clean not scruffy). The other is the 1978 yellow van from from the film "Little Miss Sunshine" with the New Mexico license plate.

Hans-Dieter Richter of bastelbogen-online.de (defunct?) designs good stuff, but his VW vans have somewhat odd proportions compared to online sources. My compromise was to scale using width, so the wheelbase is a bit long and the length is a bit short. I had to backdate some details for the 1971 version, but it was a fun recolor.

For a bit of variety I added an open engine bay, probably best added before everything else. Carefully cut the sides and bottom of the engine lid on the rear panel, then bend it up. Cut out the engine bay and bend down the body-colored flap, pass it through the rectangular hole then glue to the uncolored side of the lid. The dark flaps are glued inside the edges of the rectangular hole, so the 'engine' can be seen. You could also pose the front wheels in a turn like Volker 'Streetpaper' does.

As usual, these will be available pending moderator approval.

Last edited by lfuente; 03-31-2019 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:43 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
file has been approved
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 04-01-2019, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
file has been approved
Thanks Rick!

For my not-April Fool's Day recolors, we have the post-1972 VW T2 pickup and closed van assembled by DMG, with plausible Philippine plates. Not exactly like our neighbor's white VW pickup with a crew cab, but close enough.

In the same Downloads folder as the "Lost" and "Little Miss Sunshine" VW combis.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:05 AM

Philippine AS365N Dauphin 2

Today's upload has been ready for a while now except I got distracted by my VW van recolors.

It's a recolor of the old AS365N Dauphin 2 HEMS air ambulance by Emil Zarkov previously available on http://hems-london.virgin.net/. There was a high quality version, and this simpler one which has already appeared in Sakura Air and USCG HH-65 Dolphin recolors. Just one version, not many photos of Philippine registered examples online.

I would use superglue to stiffen the rotors and landing gear, and planish the fold lines to get a rounder fuselage. The top of rotors are light colored in photos. It's hard to see some panel lines or position guides, so I recommend zooming the PDF up to 400% or more to see them better.

As usual, this will be available pending moderator approval.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.01 GB
Hello Ifuente,

I was waiting to see the Dauphin in the Downloads list but today there were some other models like the AIr america UH1 and yet no Dauphin...Is it going to be released or is there a licence problem? I am interested as I wanted to re-color it for Greek Coast Guard bird...for quite some time now and the Philippine example seemed also a nice model to build

Thank you
Google Adsense
Old 04-05-2019, 03:29 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

I have not approved the file as Lorenzo is still waiting permission from Dr. Zarkov, the original designer of the kit, in order to share the repaint.

Until that time, the file remains unapproved

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 04-06-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
I have not approved the file as Lorenzo is still waiting permission from Dr. Zarkov, the original designer of the kit, in order to share the repaint.

Until that time, the file remains unapproved

Rick
Here's my emailed permission from the man himself (contact details deleted):

Yes, You have permission to share the kit.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2019 at 02:30
Subject: ZarkovModels Question
To:

From Lorenzo de la Fuente
E-mail:
: May I have permission to share my recolor of Emil Zarkov's old free AS365N in HEMS air ambulance markings with other forum members of papermodelers.com? Thank you!

--
Emil Zarkov

Phone:
Cell phone:
e-mail:
web: www.cadbest.com
Old 04-06-2019, 03:27 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Thank you, file has been approved
Old 04-21-2019, 09:04 PM

A couple of new recolors for today:

1) recolors of the (previously available) Aero Asahi McDonnnell Douglas MD-902 (Notar) Explorer into 2 Philippine private owner liveries. Added an optional tubular tail boom since it's easy enough, wondered why the designer went with a boxy version. Cut the boxy version up to where the left side rails? begin, then round the square opening for a snug fit of the new boom tube.

2) recolors of the Toyota Singapore HiLux pickup and Mitsubishi Japan Triton/Strada pickup into Philippine Police liveries. Strictly speaking the Triton recolor is of the previous generation, but still looks the part.

The Mitsubishi Japan papercraft cars were archived by the Wayback Machine, but the Toyota Singapore papercraft cars have completely disappeared. It's a shame since their short-lived interactive website allowed recoloring the cars with different colors and patterns like dots, hearts, stars and even leopard spots.

As usual, this will be available pending moderator approval.

A new resource I found that's as useful as the Internet Movie Car Database is British Pathe, which has 2-minute video clips from the 1890s to 1970s archived (including Reuters footage). I found enough from just Philippine clips to recolor a new DC-3, Bedford S type truck and Stinson L-5 (with help from Leif E.) Expect these new recolors sometime in the future.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:54 PM

Thanks to the moderator for approving my last uploads. Finally got around to making Police pickups to go with the PNP Ecureuil, the news crew pickup will have to wait until I find a Nissan Navara.

A few comments on the MD902 - I know Craft Hanger has a better model in PDO format and even comes in a plain version, and I went through the PDO->XPS->PDF route to assess it. It's better shaped and more realistic, but has very many parts and how they go together isn't intuitive so you must constantly refer to the Pepakura mesh display.

Aero Asahi's 'Doctor Heli' version, probably designed by Kurukupackn papercraft which recently shut down, is much blockier but simpler and has a helpful assembly guide. It's not obvious in the guide that there's both a simpler (rotor page) and harder (fuselage page) landing skid option. I added a cylindrical tail boom option, but it's not been test-built.

I'd also like to mention here that I asked Mic-chan of TSMC if I could have a copy of his Piper J-3 to go with my future Stinson L-5 recolor. He not only emailed it to me promptly, but graciously gave permission to recolor it for papermodelers.com!
Google Adsense